Giant Defy 4 2015 Rear Wheel Off Center

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you not pay Giant Sheffield to take a look at it? Or another Giant dealer

This is one of the benefits of buying locally rather than off t'interweb :smile:

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Hi, This was purchased from a local store down south and not a main website like the big websites out there. Was not able to purchase local as none local to me had the size and model I was after.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi, This was purchased from a local store down south and not a main website like the big websites out there. Was not able to purchase local as none local to me had the size and model I was after.
Fair enough but you could still get it checked locally. May just have to pay

Have you tightened the quick release equally?

It might be you have tightened the nut side up without spinning the quick release lever to do that side too. Resulting it the correct tightness but with more tension on one side than the other

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
I thought quick release only work by opening the leaver side and you only tighten the nut side so it just grabs then close the leaver?

The shop is going to have the bike collected and returned to there store. Its also got damage to the crank arm as in deep scratches and deep scratches to the break assembly as well so maybe a damage in transit. Issue now is they only have this one Defy 4 in stock from 2015 model and it was via the Bike2Work scheme as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
Perhaps they'd be able to do you a deal on the 2016 model, worth asking. Or on the 2015 defy 3 if they have one

Sounds like they are doing right by you :smile:

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
The bike shop got the bike back today and they phoned to say the rear wheel was not dished and the front had a slight buckle as well. They have re dished the wheel and re true the front wheel.

The option they have offered is the wheels are now ok and to change the following that had the deep scratches on.

1, Replace the front and rear brake assembly with Shimano Claris instead of Tektro TK-R312 Giant Specific, Dual Pivot type

2, Change the crankset to a FSA Vero instead of FSA Tempo

As long as the brakes work I guest having matching Shimano is ok but as am new to road bikes would I see any difference in having a FSA Vero crankset instead of FSA Tempo fitted.

Many Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The bike shop got the bike back today and they phoned to say the rear wheel was not dished and the front had a slight buckle as well. They have re dished the wheel and re true the front wheel.

The option they have offered is the wheels are now ok and to change the following that had the deep scratches on.

1, Replace the front and rear brake assembly with Shimano Claris instead of Tektro TK-R312 Giant Specific, Dual Pivot type

2, Change the crankset to a FSA Vero instead of FSA Tempo

As long as the brakes work I guest having matching Shimano is ok but as am new to road bikes would I see any difference in having a FSA Vero crankset instead of FSA Tempo fitted.

Many Thanks
Chris
Sounds like you are getting it sorted ok, I would say you will notice no difference in the crankset, particularly as you haven't ridden it yet. So long as the gearing is the same as what you had fitted previously (and I'm sure it will be) it should be fine.
I've gone from compact "cheapo" square taper to standard hollow tech "ultegra" back to compact "tiagra" and I'll be buggered if I can tell any difference through day to day riding. Obviously the gearing is different between compact and standard but that's it. I can't "feel" any weight advantage or disadvantage.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It sounds like the shop is doing the right thing. You could ask if they will offer a discount because of the scratches rather than swapping them. They will still work with scratches and you could use the money for upgrades when the time comes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
FSA Vero and Tempo are the samish quality, and both square taper. Will be fine and easier for them. They probably can't get a Tempo chainset nowadays.

As far as the brakes, have a look at this thread: /https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brake-pads.143306/
The pads are the easiest thing to change to get improvements, but ride the bike and decide if the Claris with the supplied blocks are good enough for you.

RegG

Über Member
Pleased to hear the dealer is sorting it all out for you. :okay:

The Claris brakes should be fine, after all, the bike is equipped with Claris shifters/brake levers as standard so the shop is simply putting the Shimano brakes on in place of what are probably cheaper Tektro units. You could, as others have suggested, change the brake pads but I would give it a try first to see what it handles like. As for the chainset, that should be perfectly ok, presuming it is also a 34/50 teeth chainring set-up.

If you haven't got the original spec of the bike, its here......

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.4/19187/77297/#overview

Good luck and let us know how you get on with it.

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Should have the bike back by the end of the week for my first outing on it. They said the wheel was way to near the chainstay on the rear so they have now dished this so its central give or take 2 or 3mm as giant tolerances allow this.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Strange for both wheels to need to be re-trued. The probability of both having a quality fault before even be ridden is surely quite low. I'd suspect an over agressive handler at some point during transit up north. I hope it A1 when you finally get it back.

As I was reading down the thread I thought 'asymmetric chainstays', then QR unevenly tighten. However greater minds than me ruled both out. Good service from original shop though.

Top Bottom