Giro helmets - huge appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I'm undecided, David.

I spend most of my time on tarmac with the helmet strapped onto some part of the bike, rucksack or rack, rather than onto my head, and I don't know if I would notice the difference anyway as I appear to be a lot more immune to close passes than others. However, I must admit a certain fascination with reading reports from someone who is willing to test the average distances with a helmet compared to a blonde wig. :biggrin:

david k

Hi
lol norm

most of mine is on roads, i feel fine most the time, its most difficult when thereslots of parked cars , your in and out and the drives dont seem to anticipate your move. i try to find cycle tracks as i can relax a little more. the helmet does imo seem to let others give you more respect, or is it in my head? even so it helps me

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm undecided, David.

I spend most of my time on tarmac with the helmet strapped onto some part of the bike, rucksack or rack, rather than onto my head, and I don't know if I would notice the difference anyway as I appear to be a lot more immune to close passes than others. However, I must admit a certain fascination with reading reports from someone who is willing to test the average distances with a helmet compared to a blonde wig. :biggrin:
I remember reading about the blonde wig. There was also evidence put forward that suggested that if a cyclist rode in an erratic manner then cars would give the rider more room. Think that was done by the W.A.G.

OOI Norm, why carry the helmet rather than wear it?

david k

Hi
Now that I'm aware many people are against wearing helmets and compulsion, I've been reading over the many threads covering this. Can we please park the compulsion thing completely for now and focus on what makes people CHOOSE NOT TO wear helmets?
The 3 main reasons I see frequently cited are:
1) Statistics can show that death/injury is not that much higher than other everyday activities where people don't wear helmets
2) A belief that the construction of current cycling helmets will not prevent serious injury or death anyway
3) A belief that in certain instances helmets could actutally increase risk upon impact, i.e. increased dissipation of force to the neck
No please don't comment on the whys and wherefores of this - this has already been done to death.
What I'd really like to know is whether there are any other common objections to wearing helmets?

+1 tigger, i think every time we discuss the merits or not of said helmet usage the defense seems to be against pro compulsion, if we park all thoughts of compulsion for now we can discuss the merits or not of wearing a helmet.

Maybe pro compulsion could be a separate thread, then if this wishes to be discussed it can be done on there?

sadjack

Now that I'm aware many people are against wearing helmets and compulsion, I've been reading over the many threads covering this. Can we please park the compulsion thing completely for now and focus on what makes people CHOOSE NOT TO wear helmets?

The 3 main reasons I see frequently cited are:
1) Statistics can show that death/injury is not that much higher than other everyday activities where people don't wear helmets
2) A belief that the construction of current cycling helmets will not prevent serious injury or death anyway
3) A belief that in certain instances helmets could actutally increase risk upon impact, i.e. increased dissipation of force to the neck

No please don't comment on the whys and wherefores of this - this has already been done to death.

What I'd really like to know is whether there are any other common objections to wearing helmets?

I have read this thread with interest. A shame that in parts it has become a little childish but nevertheless entertaining :smile:

I have a helmet. I used to ride all the time wearing one. Over time I started to not wear one whilst cycling on the road and found, quite simply, I enjoyed not wearing one. No facts or figures to back this up, I just liked it :smile: I have come off my road bike and never hit my head.

Now and again I ride a mountain bike off road. I wear a helmet. I have come off at speed over rough ground and banged my head on a rock, It left an indent in the helmet, I was glad I was wearing it.

I don't consider what I do a sport. I ride for enjoyment and the company of good friends. I often refer to myself as a "rambler on a bike"

So going back to Tigger and his decision from personal experience, my decision from personal experience (and yes indeed reading a few of these threads and the links to stats within them) is that when I ride on the road I don't wear a helmet, I enjoy not wearing it, I see no real reason to. When I ride off road I do wear a helmet, it makes sense to me to do so, I am far more likely to come off and there is a lot more "things" around I can hit.

Tigger I have read your initial post, glad for you that you feel it worked for you and may you enjoy your new helmet.

Each to their own I say. :smile:

david k

Hi
good input sadjack, thanks for posting
smile.gif

sadjack

Why thank you David :smile:

Tomorrow I will be riding out with 4 friends. I will be the only one without a helmet. Now and again we have discussions on the pros and cons of wearing one. We have yet to fall out over it. They cannot convince me to wear one, I would not even try to convince them not to. We all have our own "feelings" on whats best to do. So we live and let live, enjoy the tea and cakes at our stops and just get on with enjoying the day.

david k

Hi
i respect your views sadjack,good points well made.

i think its clear to say im pro helmet, i always wear one and make the kids wear theirs. i cycle with a friend who usually doesnt wear one, he knows i think he should but hes a grown up and i cannot tell him what to do so thats as far as it goes.
We are both adults so can happily have different views and respect each other opinions, we just enjoy our cycling

went out this morn had a nice ride with the kids, good weather for it here in sunny st helens

ps.

he is wrong of course
biggrin.gif

sadjack

i respect your views sadjack,good points well made.

i think its clear to say im pro helmet, i always wear one and make the kids wear theirs. i cycle with a friend who usually doesnt wear one, he knows i think he should but hes a grown up and i cannot tell him what to do so thats as far as it goes.
We are both adults so can happily have different views and respect each other opinions, we just enjoy our cycling

went out this morn had a nice ride with the kids, good weather for it here in sunny st helens

ps.

he is wrong of course
biggrin.gif

PPS No he's not. :tongue:

Here's to the next 30 odd pages of free speech :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
Thanks Sadjack - good post.

I have read this thread with interest. A shame that in parts it has become a little childish but nevertheless entertaining :smile:

I have a helmet. I used to ride all the time wearing one. Over time I started to not wear one whilst cycling on the road and found, quite simply, I enjoyed not wearing one. No facts or figures to back this up, I just liked it :smile: I have come off my road bike and never hit my head.

Now and again I ride a mountain bike off road. I wear a helmet. I have come off at speed over rough ground and banged my head on a rock, It left an indent in the helmet, I was glad I was wearing it.

I don't consider what I do a sport. I ride for enjoyment and the company of good friends. I often refer to myself as a "rambler on a bike"

So going back to Tigger and his decision from personal experience, my decision from personal experience (and yes indeed reading a few of these threads and the links to stats within them) is that when I ride on the road I don't wear a helmet, I enjoy not wearing it, I see no real reason to. When I ride off road I do wear a helmet, it makes sense to me to do so, I am far more likely to come off and there is a lot more "things" around I can hit.

Tigger I have read your initial post, glad for you that you feel it worked for you and may you enjoy your new helmet.

Each to their own I say. :smile:

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
+1 tigger, i think every time we discuss the merits or not of said helmet usage the defense seems to be against pro compulsion, if we park all thoughts of compulsion for now we can discuss the merits or not of wearing a helmet.

Maybe pro compulsion could be a separate thread, then if this wishes to be discussed it can be done on there?

Yeah I think we do need a seperate post, this ones gone full circle and is tainted I think, so it may not attract people. I'm gonna start a new one on reasons not to wear a helmet. Pro compulsion could easily be another, but not one I want to burn my fingers with.

Norm

I think that this is the bit which gets lost in the "debate". I've been accused of being on both sides of this one at different times, so I can fail in both directions. :biggrin:

OOI Norm, why carry the helmet rather than wear it?
I consider that a helmet will protect me from myself but it won't do much to protect me from others.

When I'm riding off road (as I was for nearly 4 hours last Sunday), I usually wear the helmet because I have ridden into low-hanging tree branches and, indeed, trees, and I have fallen off and I believe it could and has helped.

I don't think, though, that a helmet will do much in an encounter with a motorised vehicle so, when it is particularly hot, I prefer the primary safety (not cooking myself inside a lid and being alert to my surroundings rather than worrying about how much I'm sweating under the polystyrene) over secondary safety of protection if there is a titsup, so I may choose take the lid off, as I did for the 90 minute ride home after the 4 hours off road last Sunday.

Please note the highlighted words and that I was responding when asked for my opinion, which is unlikely to be changed but, then again, I don't generally try to persuade anyone else (any more). :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
I don't think, though, that a helmet will do much in an encounter with a motorised vehicle so, when it is particularly hot, I prefer the primary safety (not cooking myself inside a lid and being alert to my surroundings rather than worrying about how much I'm sweating under the polystyrene) over secondary safety of protection if there is a titsup, so I may choose take the lid off, as I did for the 90 minute ride home after the 4 hours off road last Sunday.

I've always felt they won't help in a colision with a motor vehicle - still do although my recent bang makes me think they may be better than expected. Definitely agree with the higher liklihood of accidents off road too. How do you feel about the prospect of an on road fall like mine, i.e. no other vehicle, but an accident at speed caused by people, animals, road surface, ice, oil, rider error etc?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I think that this is the bit which gets lost in the "debate". I've been accused of being on both sides of this one at different times, so I can fail in both directions. :biggrin:

I consider that a helmet will protect me from myself but it won't do much to protect me from others.

When I'm riding off road (as I was for nearly 4 hours last Sunday), I usually wear the helmet because I have ridden into low-hanging tree branches and, indeed, trees, and I have fallen off and I believe it could and has helped.

Please note the highlighted words and that I was responding when asked for my opinion, which is unlikely to be changed but, then again, I don't generally try to persuade anyone else (any more). :thumbsup:
Norm I was not a loaded question I assure you and I had a feeling that that would be the answer :smile:

Norm

I've always felt they won't help in a colision with a motor vehicle - still do although my recent bang makes me think they may be better than expected. Definitely agree with the higher liklihood of accidents off road too. How do you feel about the prospect of an on road fall like mine, i.e. no other vehicle, but an accident at speed caused by people, animals, road surface, ice, oil, rider error etc?
The accident was bad luck. The impact (groan) of the helmet was, from what I've read, that it probably helped.

I don't think any have said that a helmet will never give a benefit, just that the benefits may come with strings attached.

On the primary vs secondary safety thing, I have similar discussions about wearing textile jackets and kevlar jeans on biker's forums. I believe that I am cooler and more comfortable than when I'm in leathers, so I can concentrate on the road more and that improves the chances that I'll avoid the accident. I recognise that my secondary safety, my protection if I do have an accident, is lower in cordura and kevlar but I run that equation with my own criteria, which may well be flawed.

Norm I was not a loaded question I assure you and I had a feeling that that would be the answer :smile:
It was answered like that, AFS, but I wanted to make it clear that my days of helmet debating are long past. ;) :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom