help with rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
hi guys.

my girlfriend recently bought a specialized diverge (which is nice) but unfortunately on her first trip out she came off pretty bad. the right hand shifter was bent in and i managed to get it back into position. but after this she couldn't shift into the rear big cog without the chain coming off. its like the shifter thinks theres another cog after the largest cog and just shifts the chain onto the spokes. ive done the usual indexing using the barrel shifter but to no avail. any idea?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The limit screws are unlikely to have moved so It sounds like she has bent the rear Mech hanger in towards the wheel. You can try and straighten it or buy a replacement hanger.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, if she/the bike fell on to the derailleur side then it may have bent the hanger. You could try and reset the gears from scratch. But I think it would be best to get it checked out lest the derailleur get's trapped in the wheel/spokes, then.. you will have an even bigger problem.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't allow the shop just to straighten the gear hanger; they are brittle and designed to snap sacrificially and once bent they work-harden and might let go, sending the RD into the spokes.

boydj

Legendary Member
It could be that the outer cable is no longer properly seated, effectively shortening the inner cable and allowing the mech to be pulled past the high point, which could happen if the limit screw was not set properly. I've seen this happen after the shifter has been knocked.

I'd disconnect the cable at the mech and move the mech by hand to see how it lines up on the cogs at the limits and reset the screws if required. It may be necessary to unwrap the bar tape partially to check the outer cable where it enters the shifter if the limit screws are ok.

Top Bottom