Horse riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have owned horses but have never known one that is bothered by bike lights. But instead of looking at the horse riders attitude, look at your own.

She told you there was a potential problem to keep you safe and you took a strop and stormed off. Why didn't you explain to the rider that you had every right to have your lights on to make you visible and it was her responsibility to school her horse if she wanted to ride on public paths. There is no point in telling us about it.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've nothing against horses.

They're very tasty.

Jody

Stubborn git
Never (up until last week) had an issue with horse riders or their steeds. Managed to slightly spook a horse last week on the TPT as I wasn't too sure how to approach. They were two abreast and covered the width so no room to pass. Didn't want to ring the bell as I understand they don't like high pitch noises so just sat back until one of the riders clocked me. Little did I know the clever horse had already clocked me and went on a bit of bender. Lesson learnt so will call on approach from behind in future.

They're on the bullies' "get off my road" list too, so we should get on.

Don't meet that many of them in the Peak District, maybe it's a bit too hilly?

Peak district mountain bike is setting up some good relations with peak district horse power as they share a common goal and they are getting some good results.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have owned horses but have never known one that is bothered by bike lights. But instead of looking at the horse riders attitude, look at your own.

She told you there was a potential problem to keep you safe and you took a strop and stormed off. Why didn't you explain to the rider that you had every right to have your lights on to make you visible and it was her responsibility to school her horse if she wanted to ride on public paths. There is no point in telling us about it.

Realistically, by time she'd made her remark I was level with the horse, and by the time I'd replied I was a few metres past it.

I did not take a strop, so you are wrong about that.

As regards there being 'no point in telling us about it', the number of replies suggests you are also wrong about that - the topic is of interest in what is, after all, the General Cycling Discussion forum.

And another thought, your participation in this thread is not compulsory.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
But then four horsemen caused an apocalypse, so on balance they're bad people.
They were just following orders.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The clue is in the name... Want to hazard a guess who was there first?
Pedestrians? :whistle:

Want to hazard a guess how the big guy with the huge dangerous horse actually got onto the bridleway in the first place ... by using a road! Those places that have lots of scary things moving on them. Cyclists for instance ... Mind you, before they were turned into roads, they would have been packhorse trails, so perhaps the horses should be given free rein on roads too! :laugh:

Anyway, it is a particularly daft argument. That is like saying that a driver shouldn't have to watch out for a vulnerable pedestrian crossing a road because roads are for cars and his/her car was on the road before the pedestrian started to cross.

Bridleways are rights of way for equestrians, and pedestrians. Cyclists are allowed to use them too, but must give way when necessary. I DID give way. I was merely objecting to the fact that I nearly got a kick in the head from a crazy horse because my bike made a very quiet clicking noise. I am happy for horses to have priority. I am not happy for those horses to be dangerous. Someone else told me that they saw a horse throw its rider and run off down a lane because a crisp packet had blown past, spooking it!

the fact that I nearly got a kick in the head from a crazy horse because my bike made a very quiet clicking noise. I am happy for horses to have priority. I am not happy for those horses to be dangerous. Someone else told me that they saw a horse throw its rider and run off down a lane because a crisp packet had blown past, spooking it!

But that is in the nature of horses. It is what they are like. Unpredictable.

I had an unproductive conversation last week with a guy who had passed my bike at about 60mph missing me by a few cm last week. (He had pulled into a pub, i followed him to remonstrate.)
"Suppose I had to swerve round a pot-hole," I said. "You shouldn't be on such narrow tyres." was his reply.

It is the same argument. We cannot pick and choose another's choice of road-using equipment. Allow for what is on the road with you, is the only way.

Top Bottom