How short before you'd just walk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
As someone who has walked pretty much everywhere for most of my life (my family didn't have a car until I was well into my teens, which was in the mid-90's), I'm happy to walk for at least half an hour before I'd even consider swapping it for a bike ride instead.

My current commute does involve a 25 minute walk to the station (and the same again on the way home) and while I can do it in under 10 on a bike (I'm a fast walker and would also have to go a slightly longer route by bike), the time spent unlocking/locking up the bike at either end and getting kit on and off means I wouldn't really save much time at the end of the day. Plus my local station did previously have a bad reputation for bike theft (or damage if the local scrotes couldn't easily steal it) so that's probably playing in the back of my mind as well.

presta

Guru
A trip to Tesco & Sainsburys is 2.08 miles there & back, I wouldn't dream of cycling that, it's more faff than it's worth. Getting the bike out, going the long way round, parking, locking, theft/vandalism risk. No thanks.

For that sort of distance it would be walk every time. No hassle unlocking and locking the bike at both ends plus less bother dressing appropriately in the rain or very cold weather. I enjoy walking and, as a bonus, there are probably more health/fitness benefits from walking over cycling at that sort of distance.

If I were to cycle that distance as a commute it would have to be on an old, steel Dutch style bike with swept-back bars to do it in style. They can be bought used quite cheaply with the added benefit of not being a target for your average bike thief.

biking_fox

Guru
I think about a mile - 15-20min walk, longer than that ride. Somewhat dependant on terrain/activity etc. I used to ride 12mile each way every day, which was challenging on hard days, and I think about the max that I could do every day. The ideal distance for work is about 8mile I think, you can extend for longer on sunny afternoons but it still feels worthwhile/manageable on rainy ones.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Aldi is about a mile from me. I ride it, as I prefer cycling to walking and I'd sooner not carry my shopping.
That is about the minimum I'd cycle though.

I’m happy walking that distance for shopping. Anything up 45 mins each way in fact. Probably as much because I’m aware how much I cycle. I need to ensure I’m doing enough walking for overall bone health, balance etc.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Up to 2- 2.5 miles I'd probably walk- but if I have to carry anything I'll often take the bike. Shortest regular bike journey is to Sainsbury's / Morrisons (each about a mile, in opposite directions). I prefer walking generally.

Having said that I sometimes get the tube* to the beer shop (2 miles away, one stop)

*Metropolitan line- feels wrong to call it the Tube or The Underground out where I am.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If there's a reasonable place to leave the bike at the far end, I guess my cut off would be between 20 and 40 minutes. If chaining up was a bit of a faff or I was leaving the bike in the open all day (eg when taking the train to London), then I'd likely walk for an hour rather than cycle

presta

Guru
My decision was based more on purpose of the journey rather than distance really, travelling for utility such as shopping I prefer walking because a don't want a bike with me to nursemaid. That said, if I was shopping for bike parts in Colchester or Chelmsford I'd use the bike because half the shops are scattered to the four winds, and too far from the railway stations.

Gwylan

Veteran
I tend to use the bike, whatever.
Saves the parking, paying etc in town centre. And securing access to the communal car.
Downside is getting the bike released from security. Getting a helmet on, securing somewhere on arrival
But, unless it's pouring down under 10km and I'll take the bike.
Cycled 25 km to the doctor today, because I can! It was a niceish day.
Oh, we are a one car, two person household. That explains a lot.

Top Bottom