Hyundai i30 diesel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am thinking about a change of car, and found one that ticks most boxes, i.e. reasonable price, load space for a bike or two, economical.
The Hyundai fits the bill, but I'm a wee bit concerned about going back to diesel. I like the torque and the high mpg, but dislike the DPF problems. I will probably do about 10k miles per year, with a mixture of local and long distance runs.
Any bad reports? And why are people steering clear of diesels? Something in the pipeline that we don't know about re tax or other costs?

NB, this is a 2015 model with 46k miles on the clock. And advertised as an estate, but looks like somewhere between an SUV and a hatchback.

Edit... Honest John.com seems to like it. Where is our resident motoring expert @Drago 😄.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
The i30 is the same as Kia ceed sportwagon different shell, but you get 7 yr warranty.
Superb cars.

We've had 2 ,both diesel and both we're faultless,no issues.lots of short journey stuff too ,5 mile commuter each way ect and long drives..

Mpg will be around 47-52

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D had the Kia Sportage with the 1.7 diesel. I always preferred the smaller (1.6?) Diesel from the C apostrophe D and the i30. Smoother, more willing.

I'm not really a car man these days, but if I woke up and found and i30 on the driveway, courtesy of my fairy Godmother, I wouldn't be at all disappointed.

With the mileage you do the diesel won't pay for itself. In your position I'd be inclined to go for the petrol, which would also sidestep any anti pollution system issues, but it's your call.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Update...
Went for a test drive this morning and was impressed with the car, BUT....
1. My trade in valuation had dropped from the £3900 on line valuation yesterday, to £3300 today. Cheeky nobbers. My car is well looked after with stamped FSH..
2. On the subject of service history, the Hyundai had skipped a service and gone from 20k miles to 40k miles on the same oil. Apparently this is normal :rolleyes:.
3. They printed me out a nice quotation, into which they had slipped a £300 charge for the next 2 services and MOT's. Cheekier nobbers.
4. I wondered how their finance deal managed to beat the bank, until I noticed that as well as relieving me of my car, there was an additional £992 deposit to pay!! Cheekiest nobbers.
5. The first owner of the car was Arnold Clark, a major dealer network in Scotland (and salesman was very vague when I asked if it was just pre registered, or how long had it been in AC's hands). So the car might have been a hire car, contract hire, or anything.

Do these people think we are completely feckin stupid?? Needless to say I left without a deal, and won't be setting foot in their dealership again.

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
I’ve had diesels for 30 years. Changed my car 3 months ago and bought a petrol.
Why? Because my milage has dropped to 10,000 and a lot of short ~15 ml journeys.
my last 1.6 CRD could achieve 70mpg with a tailwind but averaged out over 60,000 mls around 57mpg.
current 1.4 tsi ( still with £30 ved) has torque similar to a diesel and over 2000 mls is showing avg of 50 mpg. Best of all the heater is throwing warm air out after a mile.
id say your mileage doesn’t justify a diesel and all the expense of maintaining modern oil burners.
Stay well clear of Arnold Clark too.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
After the above experience with the most incompetent sales team ever, I was out locally with lovely fiancee yesterday and took a wander in to our local Suzuki dealer. Found what I was looking for in the shape of a Suzuki S-Cross 1.6 SZ-T, petrol engine. I had looked at one a week or two ago but wasn't impressed with the low spec on that particular car. This one is far better equipped. Load space is huge, enough for her big dopey labradoodle, 2 bikes, a tent, and holiday gear for 2 weeks of "social distancing".
Having dealt with our Suzuki dealer before (current car came from them and is going back in part ex), I knew what to expect with regards to non pushy sales people and a straightforward no nonsense deal on the table. Done and dusted in less than half an hour!

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Currently running a Suzuki Vitara 1.6 SZ-T , the 2wd version, impressed with the car & the dealers, does about 53 mpg on a run even loaded up with holiday stuff which isn’t bad for a petrol.
every review whinges about the use of hard plastic on the dashboard, but it doesn’t half clean and polish up easily.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Currently running a Suzuki Vitara 1.6 SZ-T , the 2wd version, impressed with the car & the dealers, does about 53 mpg on a run even loaded up with holiday stuff which isn’t bad for a petrol.
every review whinges about the use of hard plastic on the dashboard, but it doesn’t half clean and polish up easily.

I'm running a Suzuki Swift, impressed with it.

D

Deleted member 1258

It's a Swift that's going in part exchange. Been very impressed with the wee car, but just need something a bit bigger to accommodate the dog and enough stuff for UK holidays as lovely fiancee isn't a good flyer.

We've got the same problem, it's a lovely car, but my Good lady has gone from needing a stick to needing a wheelchair in the last 12 months so more room would be nice.

Salar

A fish out of water
Ahh.......Suzuki's, Brings back memories of my little green sj413 Samurai from way back.

Drove it everywhere, toured Spain in it. Only ever had one problem. The pin which held the gear stick in would snap leaving you holding the gear stick, which could be awkward :rolleyes: , I used to carry a couple of spare pins for a quick roadside repair.

Exactly like this one.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well observed. Idiotic car reviews prattle on about "quality" with regard to that sort of thing, but being pleasant to the touch or attractive to look at is in no way a sign of quality.
I'd agree, however;

I had temporary use of a Pug 306 diesel a few years ago. Apart from being a non turbo slug with the turning circle of an oil tanker it is the worst car I've ever had to sit in. Black seats, carpets and plastic, with a massive featureless dashboard every time I got in it I wanted to get straight back out again it was so depressing. Whoever designed it obviously hated his fellow human beings.

Top Bottom