Idiots on public paths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, there's a lot of good people on paths, not everyone sees (or hears) a bike approaching. Kids run out in front of you, dogs etc....That's fair enough and to be expected.
...But what experiences have you had with just...Idiots.

I'm going to share some of mine.

One night, very dark, I'm cycling down a well known cycle path in my area.
I've got two front lights and two back lights on.
The bottom lights are flashing, the top lights are very strong beams. (You can't miss them!).
So I'm cycling down this path.
My front beam is so strong that I can see two people approaching from a very good distance away.
My top beam is right in their eyes (I have it pretty high along dark paths), however I dipped the light as I approached and the bottom light is flashing.
...Guess what? They don't see me (or pretend not too) and walk right in front of my bike (which is a good 26 kilos (as it's electric)). I slam on the brakes and ask how the hell could they miss me?... The only lights for about 3 mile!!! And the guy apologizes and walks off. (The girl didn't say anything).
Personally I think they must have been taking the mick. I was sure I heard a little giggle.
He's just lucky I did stop and my brakes were so good because I was 100% sure they couldn't miss me, yet he actually made the effort to walk right in front of my bike just as I was about 3 feet from him. If my bike had hit him, he would have been severely hurt. Just stupid!

Another time, I'm chased by two pitbulls. - The owner doesn't call them off and eventually after about half a mile my jacket is shredded at the underarms where the dogs have been jumping and biting me. (I have protection against such things now, so that ain't gonna happen again).
I wanted to stop the bike and ram it up the owners bottom, but unfortunately the dogs were berserk and I was too ill at the time to fight off his two crazed dogs.

Oh another time! (I could be here all day).
...I'm going slow, i'm behind this woman (on a cycle path again).
I'm ringing the bell like you wouldn't believe.
She doesn't move an inch, just slowly keeps walking right in the middle of the path blocking my way.
I thought "Maybe she's deaf". (Even though there is very few deaf people and most have hearing aids, (but I still gave her the benefit of the doubt).
Just then someone else comes along the path towards me and says "Hi.........." ( whatever her name was). The woman says "Hello!" Back! - And both stop to have a conversation, right in the middle of the path!
I put on the brakes and then stop ask her what the problem was she couldn't stop.
Basically it boiled down to her hating 'lads' (I'm not a lad I'm 35 years old), and hating cyclists and she felt bikes shouldn't be allowed on the paths.
I said bikes have a right to the path, I used my bell, I shouted and if you don't move the next time, neither will I.

I've got many more experiences similar.
I just wonder, do other people have these experiences or is there a conspiracy just now, out to try to ruin every bike ride I go on?
I must say the roads are ok, although last week there was an incident where two hoodies screamed at me as I went past them which resulted in a scuffle and one of them being whacked over the head with an open plastic juice bottle which completely drenched him. (Very cold night too, must have been freezing when he got home heh heh).

Yeah I don't know about you, but I'd honestly say that everytime I go a cycle, there is some kind of story.
...It's usually just minor stuff, but there's always something.

I'm such a responsible cyclist; I do everything I'm supposed to do... if only others would do the same.
And why can't people on paths have a look around every once in a while to see if there's a bike or a horse or a runner behind them? - They just walked in a daze, it seems; right smack bang in the middle of the path where nobody can pass; immune to shouts, bells, screams...It's unbelievable.

Too many to mention, I just do my part best i can and 'try' not to run anyone over

They're called 'off road' ebikes.
Paths are not roads. They are 'off road;.

Pathways you can't go over a certain speed, odd i know, because they don't really make it plain, but you have to research the rules to keep yourself right if your thinking about getting anything faster.
My electric bike i use for work but it is fully taxed and insured. Basically i use it like a motorbike and I have a lot of private land as well that i can use it on. It's a magic pie 3 system, great bike, goes over 40mph. Thinking about getting a stealth bomber, not sure how much a spare battery would be for it though or how easy it would be to get one, just looking into at the moment.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I thought this was a thread about idiots who cycle on public footpaths, then I discovered it was about the public who walk on footpaths!

although last week there was an incident where two hoodies screamed at me as I went past them which resulted in a scuffle and one of them being whacked over the head with an open plastic juice bottle which completely drenched him. (Very cold night too, must have been freezing when he got home heh heh).

Now you have given me ideas lol!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, that was a rather rapid transition from welcome to flounce. I wonder if we'll cross paths, Dashanova and I, here in Stirling (it's not that big a place). I kind of hope not.
Did a ride in Stirling last summer: nice wee town, would like to go back explore more of the paths.
Us from Glasgow got lost, some joker took the ride directions down the night before!

Top Bottom