Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So how are you feeling now GC?

2 weeks and 3 days since my capsule release and the pain is beginning to diminish. The arm definitely has a better range of movement. The worst thing is that the joint is loose and clunky so after I've finished stretching and I start walking away the shoulder joint suddenly settles with a pop that sends an electric shock of pain through me.

Katherine

Guru

2 weeks and 3 days since my capsule release and the pain is beginning to diminish. The arm definitely has a better range of movement. The worst thing is that the joint is loose and clunky so after I've finished stretching and I start walking away the shoulder joint suddenly settles with a pop that sends an electric shock of pain through me.
Well done. It will be worth it.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Every day is progress, both in arm range and pain reduction.

I was back seeing the surgeon yesterday and he says the plate/bone position is looking good. He thinks the bone is knitting but it's not all that clear on the x-ray. He says he'll do another on the day of removal but won't be certain of the bone repair until he gets a look inside. I expect a call some time towards the end of May for that op.

Physio is going very well although my regular guy has finished his placement and gone back to Dublin. He was a good laugh and liked baking too. He had just started me on active movement, moving on from the passive, so I now try to raise my arm with its own muscles. Feck me it's tough but gets better (but not exactly easier) each day.

I start back to work on Monday, woohoo!

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with your shoulder. Hope you recover quickly.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I had my pre-op session at the hospital last week so I'm on the list for plate removal and just waiting for the call. It could be anytime between now and six weeks hence (the original twelve week period for leaving it in expires on Saturday 1 June). I have agreed to take the shortest notice and I'm also on their list in case of any cancellation.

While the plate fixation is no longer painful, it is uncomfortable so I'm looking forward to getting it out. What is painful is the flippin' physiotherapy! My new physio, Louise, appears to have recently given up professional wrestling for a career in musculo-skeletal therapy.

All credit to her though, after she's mangled me on that bed for a session my shoulder feels like a rusted old joint that's been freed, she's brilliant. I just wish it didn't make my eyes water so much.

Where a month ago my forward arm extension could only reach 50 degrees, it's now at 120 degrees (assisted) so that's huge progress.

Last week I made a batch of iced cupcakes for her and her team as a wee thank you for their care and they seem to have gone down very well. She tells me she shared them but I'm not convinced.

I confessed to her this week that that had been my first ever attempt at making cakes, albeit under strict supervision from The Cake Fairy. (If you're interested, I used the classic Victoria sponge recipe from Delia's cook book and spooned it into cupcake moulds. Can't remember the name but it's the encyclopaedic one in hardback.)

Still not driving or riding yet, getting public transport to work instead. To be honest I haven't missed the driving at all and I'm not too sure about being in any hurry to get back on the bike. I've kinda lost my bottle and I'm anxious about repeating the experience if I resume cycle commuting. I'm even nervous about walking down flights of stairs FFS!

This might pass, I've had it before after a very heavy off that resulted in heavy bruising but no breaks. I'll wait and see.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've kinda lost my bottle and I'm anxious about repeating the experience if I resume cycle commuting. I'm even nervous about walking down flights of stairs FFS!

This might pass, I've had it before after a very heavy off that resulted in heavy bruising but no breaks. I'll wait and see.
If it’s any consolation, I was physically shaking my first few rides I was so nervous but it does get better quite quickly. I am still more cautious though, even 4 years later....plus my plate is still in so would hate to land on it again.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

If it’s any consolation, I was physically shaking my first few rides I was so nervous but it does get better quite quickly. I am still more cautious though, even 4 years later....plus my plate is still in so would hate to land on it again.

Ooft, I'm wincing just reading that!

I know the risk of falling off is no greater than before so I should simply get back on, after all, I've gone more than 50 years cycling and this is my first real injury aside from scrapes and bruises.
But right now I'm not convinced. It's a bugger because I'd just bought absolutely everything component-wise to rebuild my old Trek as a commuter; only the seatpost, saddle and handlebars are original; everything else from the bottom bracket up has been replaced. I just haven't got round to fitting it all.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ha, that's what my late SiL called her physio! I would have used that for Louise but as she's from Ireland and we're still getting to know each other, I wouldn't want it to be misconstrued.
Afraid she might stretch you beyond your limits.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I did post this elsewhere but I saw the consultant on Friday and he was very happy with my progress in un-freezing the shoulder. He said he had been anticipating having to give me a steroid injection but was discharging me instead. He said that the clonks and clunks could go on for a year though, which isn't great news. He also said: "You don't look like the sort of bloke who sits around doing nothing all day", which, I guess, explains the good progress. To celebrate Mrs Gti and I went for a swim, which felt good, both crawl and breast stroke.

The consultant recommended I switched from paracetamol to ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation but I don't like the stuff because it constipates me and affects my stomach, meaning I've got to take omeprazole, which can also have its side-effects. So for the moment I'm going to take 800mg of ibuprofen with my evening meal supplemented by paracetamol if I need it and keep up the stretching, for life, because one consequence of the trauma is roughening of the articular surface of the ball of the humerus. The sawbones was cagey about this saying it should look smooth like a boiled egg but that if I continued to exercise it could smooth out. Dr Google says this could cause problems in future years. Here are a couple of the pictures taken during the arthroscopy.

20190512_085636.jpg

So I'm off for a gentle coffee shop ride now. Woohoo!

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Almost 2 months on from my pre-op assessment and still no word. I called the surgeon's secretary today and she advised me he is on holiday for another week so I know it won't happen imminently. She did say I'm marked as an urgent case and suggested I call the theatre bookings department. Still trying to get through to them...

Top Bottom