Just returning to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crow_se

Hello all
Just bought the 4th bike of my life. 1st as a child was a Hercules Ranger, then about 17 or 18 a Triumph Palm Beach Tourist with 3-speed Sturmey-Archer, really thought I was king of the road (real blasts from the past!). Then about 30 years ago bought road bike, cant remember name, 5-speed derailleur. Longest journey about 14 miles.
Now retired, and since giving up smoking 6 months ago put on about one and a half stones. Thought I had better do something about it, dont want gym, walking, jogging etc. Enjoyed cycling so thought would buy a new bike. Admit that price was the only governing factor for purchase, only want for shopping, going to library etc, probably longest journey for foreseeable future about 6 miles each way. Not only not rode bike for 30 years, taken no exercise at all for 30 years. Knew I would ache but didnt know would hurt, riding about half mile each day. Longest journey so far about 2 miles. Mind you, only had bike for a week. Determined to get back into it though, still enjoy it even through aches and pains. Bought Firefox Ranger 26 inch wheel 'mountain bike'. Seen no review of these, anyone any opinions ? Suits me fine with more comfortable saddle.
Stuart

curve

Funny thing is I have just posted virtually the same thing in another thread.

See you on the road and good luck with the cycling.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome crow se!
And good news on your return to cycling!

Took a look at the bike...well, you won't win many Time-Trials but then you don't want too, it looks fine for getting you out on the road, simple, wide range of gears, plain forks are better than suspension forks and for the price seems OK! Couple of comments...if you don't go on any rough terrain, I would incvest in some decent slick/semi-slick tyres and ditch the cheap knobblies, they'll make a real difference to how easily you bowl along. Also get a pump that will allow you to inflate your tyres to the correct pressure. Finally, saddles are a personal choice but...firmer saddles usually better than soft gel types.

Mudguards and a rack might be useful additions if the bike has the required fittings. Decent Lock, basic tools and P-repair kit (we never spell P*uncture in full, it's bad luck) and a few basic tools are useful. Also Recommend "Cyclecraft" by Franklin, the cyclists Bible for safe riding.

The important thing is to get out as often as possible and enjoy! Distance, speed and stamina build quickly with regular outings. Combined with quitting ciggs you'll soon wonder why you didn't do this earlier (I regretted a longish lay-off from regular cycling).

Good luck, keep asking questions!

OP
OP
C

crow_se

Thanks for reply
From the above replies it appears to me that a few 'gentlemen of a certain age' who are also 'possessed of a more mature figure' are returning to cycling to get a little more in trim to try to stave off the ravages of time, including me. Mind you at 65 I dont know how many ravages can be staved off. Must admit though, I have found a difference in just over a week when playing with the granddaughters.
Notice in our local LIDL (W-S-M) that they are stocking bits and pieces for cyclists from Monday 10th so will go along and get stuff :-)
Stuart

I bought LIDL cycling shoes last year and find them so comfortable that I shall get another (different colour) pair this year. Probably get computers and repair kits for the grandsons.

OP
OP
C

crow_se

I noticed these shoes in the ad. Are they really worth getting for a leisure cyclist, which is what I aspire to ? Same with cycling socks, gloves etc. Will get a helmet though and windproof jacket with reflective strips. I refuse to disport myself in Lycra for fear of frightening the dogs.
Stuart

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can get the shoes, as the sole will be stiffer, the Lidl ones don't look too extreme, so you wont get stared at in the library, and if you ever decide to go for clipless pedals, they take the SPD cleats, and for £14.99 is good.

Cycling socks - any sock will do if you aren't going as far as some of us nutters !

I'd recommend a good jacket. Gloves - full finger useful for winter, mitts for summer - personal choice and offer protection if you fall off !

Most importantly - enjoy riding. You'll soon up the miles, and become much fitter

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Lycra shorts can be worn simply as undergarments with baggy shorts over the top or longer trousers.
LIDL cycling stuff has a good VFM reputation.
There may be a local CTC vetrans club which might be worth contacting for advice etc.
I agree, there are a lot of "persons of age...and girth" returning tocycling, and why not? Get's you fit relatively cheaply and allows you to get out of your locality and into the wide open spaces without too much effort.
Take it easy and enjoy!

Top Bottom