1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Levi commuter Jeans

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Portableaj, 22 Nov 2012.

1. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I edited my post.

Water resistant, maybe in a light shower, virtually nothing is truly water resistant in heavy rain (maybe waterproof trousers but then you boil)

I wouldn't get the cheapest decathlon shorts, £20ish is a decent budget price point, and yes, cycling shorts are comfortable or cyclists wouldn't be able to do 100s of miles in them - however, within reason, you do get what you pay for...oh and wear them commando but don't forget to put your pants in your bag for the rest of the day (I don't think you'll want to be dangly at school really - I am assuming you are a bloke)

Portableaj likes this.
  2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

I have had these ones for several years, I find it hard to recommend from their current range because I am not familiar with them. The ones I had no longer even have any branding as it has all washed off. I would say don't buy their cheapest stuff, step up to the better stuff if you can, it will still be reasonably priced but is vastly superior quality wise! I now have a few pairs of vastly superior shorts so only use these Decathlon shorts under jeans for utility cycling.

I know cycling jeans are water resistant, but consider for a second that if you are commuting, will you actually be working in your jeans? If so, I imagine you are doing a more manual or less formal job, in which case do you really want to be wearing your £100+ cycling jeans anyway? If this is for weekend riding, just buy some lycra and have done with it. I wouldn't do a manual job in a pair of £100+ jeans any more readily than I would my £100+ bib shorts!

3. Portableaj

Portableaj Active Member

i was planning to buy them cheaply off ebay

4. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I think the OP is still at school/college

Just buy the jeans and the bike, and get out on the roads :bicycle:

Portableaj likes this.
  5. musa

musa Über Member

orrr get softshell material like that of Raphas

6. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Yes, I know: same goes for skirts, actually :cry:

7. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

Hmm, I wear lycra Levis anyway, but as the crotch has gone from my current pair (not a huge deal because I cycle with my legs reasonably closed) I'm pondering getting some commuter jeans. The water repellant is appealing.

8. Andrew_Culture

Yup, I can get away with wearing black jeans for work. At the moment I cycle to work in gym shorts and change into black jeans, so as the temperature drops a pair of these jeans could cut out the need to change when I get to work.

9. wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy Über Member

They're a bit expensive, I paid I think £12 for my last pair of jeans and £6 for my last pair of work pants (Matalan and George respectively), the arse is wearing a little thin on the George (1 year old, 5 days a week ride) but the jeans are going strong (7 years old, once a week ride).

10. Portableaj

Portableaj Active Member

They are not the same as normal jeans

11. Andrew_Culture

I've spotted some of these jeans on ebay, they're seconds but a new pair would look like seconds after a few rides anyway!

I think cheap jeans are a false economy, I visit my local gentleman's outfitters and ask for 'black jeans that aren't flares' and am issued with black Levis with lycra in them. They're not the cheapest but they do last about three or four years at a guess. I only have two pairs of jeans, one for work and one for leisure.

12. Andrew_Culture

I've just read your post properly, £12 for 7 years is awesome! Time for me to redress my jean buying theories :smile:

13. wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy Über Member

I understand that, and read the reviews/features, but I still think they are a little expensive for what they offer.

This is just 1 alternative but a similar product for £50 here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/race-face-taperlock-jeans/

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  14. Portableaj

Portableaj Active Member

15. wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy Über Member

I love Matalan lol!

I got two pairs at the time, I still wear both and although neither could be described as smart anymore (frayed around bottom of legs, faded etc) both stil fit and dont show my arse so I wear em! They are Matalan 'own brand' bought in the sale, something like this which are now only £10 (how does that work!) http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/produc.../68433&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand