Lights. CREE XML XM-L T6 / U2 etc Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
3W, 120lumens, XPE Led rear light, takes 3xAAA batteries. Just ordered this, ugly but looks like it might be powerful £9.99 delivered

S8076%283%29.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
hmmm they look quite good !! Wonder what runtimes will be like ?

Svendo

Guru
I recently had my T6 torch malfunction, and couldn't find the fault. It was probably either my dodgy dry soldering or corrosion from condensation on the driver circuit. So I took the opportunity to remove the T6 emitter and fit the U2 emitter on a 20mm 'star' PCB I'd got from ebay about a year ago for ~£3.50 delivered from China.
Removed the old emitter, which then enabled me to get the driver PCB out of the heatsink tube and give it a good scrub.Then having secured every thing in just the right place with tape, which was probably the most fiddly bit, managed to solder on the new U2 without cooking anything and it all being reasonably neat. I must be getting the hang of it!
Result is the torch now works fine and is even brighter than before.
The Photo is looking down the heatsink tube, about 4cm long, which has the driver PCB at the bottom and the emitter PCB at the top connected by the pink and white wires. The old emitter has traces of the glue I used to fix it back in place on previous repairs when the wires came loose following drops and crashes. IMG_0841 shrunk.jpg

3W, 120lumens, XPE Led rear light, takes 3xAAA batteries. Just ordered this, ugly but looks like it might be powerful £9.99 delivered

S8076%283%29.jpg
Mine arrived today, first impressions are thats its ugly, (like I thought), very well made, heavy, although the bracket seems very lightweight.
3 modes, steady, slow flash, fast flash. I would say that slow is 1hz and fast is 2hz.
It doesn't give the impression of a vast amount of light because it is not focused, but you can literally see it from all angles.
In the semi dark of the garage it really looks powerful.
It takes a lot of space on the seatpost so you might have trouble getting anything else on there.
IMG_20150114_114948.jpg

This was taken from near the front of the bike to show the viewing angle
IMG_20150114_115123.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics tincaman. They're definitely heavy on the real estate - be even worse if an extension is added to drop in an 18650... so not for me as I can just about get in two "normal" light on the seatpost of my commuter.

Just arrived , A new Yinding X2 front light. Ordered from Gearbest in December along with the new Solarstorm battery boxes.
First impressions are that its the smallest light head i've ever seen, tiny. Second is that there are no reflectors, just optics. Here's how it compares in size to a Solarstorm X2 and a Jexree Owl.
IMG_20150115_230537.jpg

IMG_20150115_230603.jpg

IMG_20150115_230628.jpg

Top Bottom