Looks like i'm having it if i want it or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
[QUOTE 5039538, member: 9609"]I got caught out with amizons sneaky tactics a year or so ago. Was buying an item and was presented with two buttons to complete - a very large button that was BUY NOW + 30 free day trial of prime and a very small button that just said Buy Now. I thought I had clicked the small button but I must have inadvertently clicked the larger button. I then found I was on the free trial which I didn't want. No way to cancel it, apparently you could only cancel within the last few days of the trial and if you forget they assume you want to continue and start debiting your card every month.
I spent an age on the phone getting to speak to someone and did get the free trial cancelled that way - I also closed my account and have not been back. It is not a company I am impressed with.[/QUOTE]
Weird, that was not my experience at all, the first time I tried Prime, it actually informed me I could cancel at any time. I cancelled straight away, I was just testing it, and received prime for the month and no more. To be accurate, I told it not to renew, maybe that's different to cancellation.

That was before the big button thing which seems to have gone. Instead of a big button, it is now an opt in tick box that you have to click to select.

If anyone does need to contact amazon, the online chat is pretty quick and cheaper.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You can cancel PRIME membership at any point between agreeing to it, right up to the day before it expires. I've done it quite a few times. IIRC you can only do it through the desktop site (not through mobile app). You have to go into account settings, prime membership, then it's quite well hidden on a small button to cancel, but it is definitely possible. I qualified for a free month last month, so I immediately cancelled PRIME but could still use the PRIME benefits for a month; the month expired on 2nd Nov so I did some xmas shopping and got some free delivery.

A friend of a friend creates a new Amazon account with a new e-mail every month, so has anything from 1 month to 3 months free membership (depending on what offer is available at time of sign-up). He puts in the same home address each time and they still have not twigged (or don't care).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5039538, member: 9609"]apparently you could only cancel within the last few days of the trial and if you forget they assume you want to continue[/QUOTE]
In situations like this I always set an alarm on my phone so I don't have to remember (cos I know I won't) - I get reminded.

Seriously mate start taking responsibility for your own actions? YOU pushed the button, YOU ordered the goods. I accept it was an error, but it was YOUR error. I, for one, would have had much more sympathy if the thread was about how you corrected a mistake you made.

@Accy cyclist
Easy on kindle or tablet to accidently accept the audio version of a book as well when you purchase the normal download. Meant a phone call to bloody US of A to cancel at the time I did it, only knew because the invoice arrived by email straight away andluckily I actually read the bugger.

D

Deleted member 26715

Well just picked up my Android phone to see that there was an update for Amazon, as usual I clicked on it to update & the next screen I got was you have updated to Amazon Prime WTF! Signed onto my account & sure enough I now have Prime for £7.99 per month, I did not agree to this or anything, so have cancelled it, but it's wrong, it's sneaky & typical marketing ploy.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well just picked up my Android phone to see that there was an update for Amazon, as usual I clicked on it to update & the next screen I got was you have updated to Amazon Prime WTF! Signed onto my account & sure enough I now have Prime for £7.99 per month, I did not agree to this or anything, so have cancelled it, but it's wrong, it's sneaky & typical marketing ploy.
I think we're just going to have to tread carefully with Amazon. It's a bit like being in a china shop or a nuclear missile control room. Just be careful what you touch dear!:unsure:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yup , i got caught out by prime too but luckily saw it and cancelled before my "free " month ended so i was not out of pocket but got a month of prime to try.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yup , i got caught out by prime too but luckily saw it and cancelled before my "free " month ended so i was not out of pocket but got a month of prime to try.
I've already cancelled it, but intend to get as much free delivery I can off them, there were 4 items we were thinking of buying from them, each will now be ordered on separate days so there will be 4 deliveries stuff 'em

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
that's weird.

You updated the app or you thought you were updating the app and it was actually a message about prime?

D

Deleted member 26715

that's weird.

You updated the app or you thought you were updating the app and it was actually a message about prime?
Actually don't know it was at top of screen saying there was an update for Amazon so I clicked on it, the screen went blank (screensaver), opened screen up again to be presented with a screen that said thank you for updating to Prime with a button to continue. At which point I closed the update but on checking online it was already active.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I think what sometimes happens is they (whoever) design a button in such a way that it looks like an update button, knowing that in that way that we often 'see what we expect to see rather than what's actually there - as witness jokes about slipping musical instruments into sentences and the like - many people will fail to notice that it actually bears the word 'upgrade' rather than 'update', and click on it. And of those a fair proportion will end up shrugging their shoulders and think 'oh, what the hell, I'll give it a go', and/or not notice, and/or plan to do something about it later when they have a minute, and/or forget to cancel by the end of the month.

D

Deleted member 26715

Another interesting one, I use Spotify Free, but Prime comes with Amazon Music so thought I may as well try that, gone to install it on my phone & it tells me last time use was yesterday, as I've never used it I wonder how that happened.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I got a mini statement out the ATM machine today. This has been debited. AMAZON UK PRIME A......7.99 -
I asked inside the bank what it was for. I think they said it was to pay for deliveries of things i'd bought from Amazon and to pay for the latest films i could download,or something like that. I haven't bought anything off them for a good while and i don't want bloody stupid films to download. What can i do?

Top Bottom