MooreLarge (Forme / Tern / Lake shoes / others distributor) into Administration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems like the original owner sold when the market was at a high level with low interest rates so he got a fantastic price for the business. At that point the business was loaded with debt as it sounds like it was a leveraged buyout with the cost of buying being partly paid for by a debt on the business itself and then the interest rate rises. A good business set up to fail when the market hits a downturn.

I've bought a few things from their ebay surplus shop which I now see has pulled all listings. I bought a Barracuda road bike was was about £100 and a few racks that attach to the seat post.

Not sure if Barracuda is one of their brands or they were just a distributor. My guess is it was one of their minor brands of the past they bought the rights to.

At its core it's probably still a very good business so ideal to buy out cheap from administration and quickly continue it as if nothing had happened as much as you can do that to restore confidence. Did they operate on a sale or return basis. Many of their outlet products looked like simple shop returns. I'm guessing the main creditors will be a bank or banks who paid for the leveraged buyout and maybe the bicycle and bicycle component manufacturers in the far east.

Probably more foreign owned distributors will take up the slack and add to our burden of debt and collapse of core services in this country. Pretty much all bikes are made in the Far East but a huge number of people buy from foreign owned importers from the US and Europe which means more sterling to transferred to somewhere else in the world and the government borrowing more to fill the shortfall in our economy. Moore and Large were more of a simple importer, not high profile but some good value bikes which gave you support in your local cycle shop. A real shame a UK distributor/importer has gone.

Sallar55

Veteran
The turbo experience during winter is another blow to the cycle industry. No need for lights hi vis mudguards etc. No falling off and buying new cycling clothing,, bike not wearing out as fast . No salt ,muck or wreaked bike parts compared to perfect running conditions on the turbo with the exception of a new turbo tyre .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The turbo experience during winter is another blow to the cycle industry. No need for lights hi vis mudguards etc. No falling off and buying new cycling clothing,, bike not wearing out as fast . No salt ,muck or wreaked bike parts compared to perfect running conditions on the turbo with the exception of a new turbo tyre .

No it's not, people are splurging insane amounts on Smart trainiers, and there are many many of us still riding bikes and spending cash on our commuter bikes. Last 6 months on mine, new wheels, new chains x 2, new cassette x 2, new tyres, and the list goes on.

Sallar55

Veteran
No it's not, people are splurging insane amounts on Smart trainiers, and there are many many of us still riding bikes and spending cash on our commuter bikes. Last 6 months on mine, new wheels, new chains x 2, new cassette x 2, new tyres, and the list goes on.
Really. The people i know who ride through the winter on expensive interactive turbo trainers don't commute. Once the initial expense is over, thats it until its time for the good bike for the better weather.

Sallar55

Veteran
Yes but its a one off buy, how often do we buy expensive turbo and bikes . . The real money is made on the consumables and repairs.
Today its expensive buying the ever changing tools you need, very few standard tools nowadays.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes but its a one off buy, how often do we buy expensive turbo and bikes . . The real money is made on the consumables and repairs.
Today its expensive buying the ever changing tools you need, very few standard tools nowadays.

You know a few people. Most of the folk I know still ride through winter, not just commuting. Even if they are just virtually boring themselves to death, as said above, people do spend a fair few £ on their indoor kits.

The issue is people are tightening belts all round ! Us enthusiasts are a bit different, in they we will be spending when 'needed', but it's the new bike sales that will generally stall.

Good morning,

I agree with @bonzobanana reading https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail-consumer/management-buyout-derby-bicycle-supplier-23739058 seem to suggest that the management borrowed the money to buy the business and added this debt to the business not to themselves personally

Derby bicycle supplier and distributor Moore Large has received an eight-figure funding package from HSBC UK to support a management buyout.

The deal will see four senior members of management take over the running of the business from the Moore family, with plans to grow the business by 40 per cent in the next four years.

This could of course be sloppy journalism, but it is very believable, it also explains trouncing a 70 year old business in only one year.

Quite how a distributor would grow a business by 40% after the COVID boom is also pretty unclear.

So maybe this failure tells us nothing about the bike industry in general and is just a sad story of people losing their jobs because a business or a collection of individuals using the business as security borrowed more than they could afford to repay. :sad:

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Good morning,

I agree with @bonzobanana reading https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail-consumer/management-buyout-derby-bicycle-supplier-23739058 seem to suggest that the management borrowed the money to buy the business and added this debt to the business not to themselves personally

Derby bicycle supplier and distributor Moore Large has received an eight-figure funding package from HSBC UK to support a management buyout.

The deal will see four senior members of management take over the running of the business from the Moore family, with plans to grow the business by 40 per cent in the next four years.

This could of course be sloppy journalism, but it is very believable, it also explains trouncing a 70 year old business in only one year.

Quite how a distributor would grow a business by 40% after the COVID boom is also pretty unclear.

So maybe this failure tells us nothing about the bike industry in general and is just a sad story of people losing their jobs because a business or a collection of individuals using the business as security borrowed more than they could afford to repay. :sad:

Bye

Ian

Sounds like the phoenix 4!!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I had a quick look at weekend. Just tat really, or a batch of 50 inner tubes.

Yeah, the vast bulk of it so far seems to be very budget, verging-on-BSO no-name entry-level leisure and kids' bikes. A stark reminder of the sort of stuff that's been hit harded by the post-pandemic crash.. looking at the prices it doesn't even look like there are any bargains to be had - stuff going for maybe half RRP; which with the 50% extra on top for VAT and "buyer's fees" (what a blag :rolleyes:) doesn't make them that much cheaper than new.

After all this (to an extent legit) hand-wringing about losing a well-established supplier, seems most of the stuff they were peddling was overpriced tat in any case.

I suspect any more "interesting" / higher-end stuff will be left until the end of the auction, although having looked at their product range there's nothing there that interests me anyway..

Last edited:

Broadside

Guru
I had a quick look at weekend. Just tat really, or a batch of 50 inner tubes.

I agree, that’s all there has been so far. I am keen to get my hands on a couple of Forme CX frames so will keep watching the auction site. I’ve been surprised by the lowish quality level of kit being sold so far.

Top Bottom