More idiot cyclists than idiot car drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes, it's amazing how many cyclists I used to meet on shared paths when I was walking the dog who were total nobbers; but when I'm on the bike it's all the walkers who are clueless as to how to deal with cyclists. Then when I get in the car, all these complete idiots on bikes and pedestrians, they're all over the place and can't deal with traffic - the plonkers! Just goes to show that everyone apart from me is wrong, obviously :okay:.

I was on a social distancing walk with 3 other cyclists we were all not impressed, it could of course just be an area thing.

Twilkes

Guru
What is a single lane road, It was a narrow lane, room enough for two riders going in opposite direction to pass safely, it was not wide enough for three cyclist's

A road that two cars can't pass by each other without one pulling over partly off the road. Sounds like a very narrow lane if you can't get three bikes in it.

gavgav

Guru
Unfortunately there are many people out on two wheels who do not know how to ride bikes. I have been brought off once and had a couple of close shaves with idiots who have no road sense no idea how to handle a bike and are absolutely clueless about what to do when they meet traffic - either on foot, two wheels, horseback or in a motor vehicle.

We must hope that lockdown ends soon and these idiots retrun to the beaches, pubs and shopping malls that are their natural habitat.
Interesting that the worst cycling I’ve experienced during lockdown was from racers in club kit...........The “idiots” enjoying cycling for the first time haven’t caused me any issues.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I realised yesterday that saying thank you to walkers by cyclists on a shared path is beyond the grasp of most of the lycra clad cyclist on the Sustrans path at Bardney yesterday. The least I would expect when I step off of the path into long grass and stinging nettles, would be a thankyou, maybe even a slight slow down even, maybe even single out so you do not have to pass so close. Not surprised people dislike cyclist, even I did yesterday.

Sadly this is very true in my experience. Our village is located on the Leeds Liverpool canal and we walk the towpath regularly. I can't recall a cyclist approaching from behind ever calling out or one approaching from the front slowing or attempting to give us, as walkers, space. As a cyclist I find it embarrassing. I do have to say I can't recall seeing Lycra clad riders on the towpath. It's usually POBs or MTBers.

If I meet a rider in this situation these days I stand my ground and don't step aside. It's probably pointless and and old fart getting grumpy but at least one walker is getting the point across.

When riding and encountering walkers, horses etc. we always make a point of calling "cyclists" or similar and slowing. As we pass we will say thank you and/or smile in appreciation. It costs nothing.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yep, they should have a licence and insurance like the rest of have to, and pay road tax!
I did not know non club riders paid road tax for there bikes. And where do you get a licence for a pedal bike? Most club riders i know have insurance though.

Johnno260

Veteran
I give horses a wide berth, why take the risk with an animal the size of a small car, I have seen a horse rear up before and I can't begin to imagine how scary that is if your the rider.

If I have horses oncoming I stop and cover my light as some can be skittish.

I have seen many riding 2 or 3 abreast and making it difficult for traffic, there are idiots everywhere to be honest, just a shame these idiots tar and feather all of us.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I give horses a wide berth, why take the risk with an animal the size of a small car, I have seen a horse rear up before and I can't begin to imagine how scary that is if your the rider.

If I have horses oncoming I stop and cover my light as some can be skittish.

I have seen many riding 2 or 3 abreast and making it difficult for traffic, there are idiots everywhere to be honest, just a shame these idiots tar and feather all of us.

I am sure that in many cases it is fine for horses to ride 2 or 3 abreast - just like it is for cyclists.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Anyway, as an antidote, I had a 50 mile ride today, and everyone's behaviour was impeccable; cyclists letting me past, motorists letting me past, me letting motorists past. Lots of smiles. Everybody lovely.
Same here. On my ride on Sat I the roads were teeming with cyclists, and I saw nothing to complain about. Saw a few horse riders too - got "thank you"s for holding back and overtaking slowly. Several groups of walkers in the lanes who singled out when I pinged my bell. Hell, even the motorists were polite.

Although sometimes politeness from drivers can be a double edged sword, if you're struggling uphill and a car 50 metres up the hill pulls over into a passing place to let you by - you feel obligated to put in a bit of extra effort to get past quickly and try to wave thanks as you reach them, when actually your head is about to explode. That happened at least twice.

On the subject of "two abreast on a bend". I try to always be prepared for something round the next bend - best to assume that it will be an agricultural vehicle with spiky equipment all over it. If you are prepared for that then a couple of cyclists should be no problem. ;)

Johnno260

Veteran
I am sure that in many cases it is fine for horses to ride 2 or 3 abreast - just like it is for cyclists.

I'm sure it's fine, it's when they know there is traffic behind them it becomes an issue, you get people getting impatient and doing stupid stuff.

I have followed horses for miles in a car on a back road, 3 abreast with plenty of places to move over or grass verges to allow traffic to pass and they didn't then they get a close pass from an impatient driver, in this case I didn't care as I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere, but others were honking and shouting.

Edit: I'm not excusing a close pass, I'm just saying sometimes it's from frustration and impatience.

Reactions: C R

Jody

Stubborn git
If I meet a rider in this situation these days I stand my ground and don't step aside. It's probably pointless and and old fart getting grumpy but at least one walker is getting the point across.

Don't get into the habit of doing this. You aren't getting your point across at all but just looking like a grumpy sod with a grudge.

Top Bottom