More idiot cyclists than idiot car drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm sure it's fine, it's when they know there is traffic behind them it becomes an issue, you get people getting impatient and doing stupid stuff.

I have followed horses for miles in a car on a back road, 3 abreast with plenty of places to move over or grass verges to allow traffic to pass and they didn't then they get a close pass from an impatient driver, in this case I didn't care as I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere, but others were honking and shouting.

Edit: I'm not excusing a close pass, I'm just saying sometimes it's from frustration and impatience.
I wouldn't assume that grass verges are OK for horses. I don't know much about horses but I do know they can be fussy and difficult to handle, so it may not be safe to take those particular horses onto those particular verges.

I've never seen horses 3 abreast on the road. Only ever 2. You must have got very unlucky in that instance. Anyway, the highway code for horses is the same as for cyclists - never ride more than two abreast.

Dwn

I've largely avoided cycle paths recently, since I was sure they would be rammed with walkers. On Saturday I rode along one for 10 miles or so and was dismayed by the behaviour of many cyclists. Riding too fast and too close to walkers with not a hint of slowing down. Looked to be varying ages and levels of experience, but the idiots had one thing in common - all male. It's easy to see why so many loathe cyclists; a substantial minority really are spoiling things for us all.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Some of this going on in this thread......

Johnno260

Veteran
I wouldn't assume that grass verges are OK for horses. I don't know much about horses but I do know they can be fussy and difficult to handle, so it may not be safe to take those particular horses onto those particular verges.

I've never seen horses 3 abreast on the road. Only ever 2. You must have got very unlucky in that instance. Anyway, the highway code for horses is the same as for cyclists - never ride more than two abreast.

I have seen it once and never again, but it was a situation that I could see escalating quickly as the horses could've stopped in a driveways etc, the grass verge sure it could be un-even.

I have relatives with horses and they have never managed to get me on one! and they never will!

Jody

Stubborn git
but the idiots had one thing in common - all male . It's easy to see why so many loathe cyclists; a substantial minority really are spoiling things for us all.

I thought everyone knew the white, middle aged, male from England is responsible for all of the worlds problems. Especially if dressed in Lycra or riding a MTB :rolleyes:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I thought everyone knew the white, middle aged, male from England is responsible for all of the worlds problems

The world would instantly become a better place if the white, middle aged, male from England behaved as if this were true.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Anyway, the highway code for horses is the same as for cyclists - never ride more than two abreast.

I am not sure if legally 'should never' is the same a 'must not' when it comes to the highway code. I have a sneaky suspicion that 'should never' is very strong advice whilst 'must not' is a legal no-no.

I am not sure if legally 'should never' is the same a 'must not' when it comes to the highway code. I have a sneaky suspicion that 'should never' is very strong advice whilst 'must not' is a legal no-no.
The key thing is that there is no law against riding 5 abreast. "no more than 2" is just advice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I deliberately didn't quote the must/should to avoid going down that particular rabbit hole. The MUSTs are in caps and have a reference to the appropriate law.

For example here's handy sentence with both a must and a should.
You MUST NOT take a horse onto a footpath or pavement, and you should not take a horse onto a cycle track. [...] Laws HA 1835 sect 72, R(S)A 1984, sect 129(5)

So there's a law against horses on footpaths, but not against horses on cycle tracks. But you shouldn't do either.

Never riding more than two abreast for both cyclists and horse riders are both "should" not "MUST"

But to be honest, unless there are lawyers involved and a potential prosecution it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I realised yesterday that saying thank you to walkers by cyclists on a shared path is beyond the grasp of most of the lycra clad cyclist on the Sustrans path at Bardney yesterday. The least I would expect when I step off of the path into long grass and stinging nettles, would be a thankyou, maybe even a slight slow down even, maybe even single out so you do not have to pass so close. Not surprised people dislike cyclist, even I did yesterday.
It is amazing. Working my way slowly down the Parkland Walk yesterday, trying to give people space, passed by a succession of riders just ploughing on and the hell with anyone who doesn't immediately leap out of their path 'even though I was ringing my bell!'

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Don't get into the habit of doing this. You aren't getting your point across at all but just looking like a grumpy sod with a grudge.
I agree with you and I'm very aware of it. The very people who ride irresponsibly are the same ones who will have me down as a grumpy old sod.

If they had any consideration the situation wouldn't arise.

Jody

Stubborn git
I agree with you and I'm very aware of it. The very people who ride irresponsibly are the same ones who will have me down as a grumpy old sod.

If they had any consideration the situation wouldn't arise.

Agreed, but they won't notice or change and you are the one who ends up annoyed at the situation.

I also find it hard to let it slide so know how you feel.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I thought everyone knew the white, middle aged, male from England is responsible for all of the worlds problems. Especially if dressed in Lycra or riding a MTB :rolleyes:
Thankfully I'm only ticking 2 out of those 6 boxes; occasionally 3 or even 4.. :smile:

DRM

Guru
I had to follow two Lycra clad roadies for a few miles a couple of weeks ago, as the lane was far to too many bends to safely pass,the selfish twit following his mate was disgusting......he had the audacity to draft the poor lass for about 3 miles at least and did not attempt to have a go in front, I felt like pulling up telling her to put her bike in the van and give her a lift up the road to get a breather, that would have taught him a lesson they were doing a fair pace though, between 22 to 28 mph uphill and down it

Top Bottom