Most accidents happen in the home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been reasonably lucky and my accounts are fairly minor, trapped a thumb in a motorbike chain when I was cleaning it, tried putting a new socket on an extension, only I didn't realize it was still on, stepped backwards off the platform ladder I was on, that kind of thing.

I did once jump off the porch I was painting onto the garage roof, only to go straight through it. I managed to catch a beam so my head and arms were still sticking out when I heard my BIL's voice drifting down from the ladder he was up. "I hope you haven't landed on my car." It was an Austin Healey Sprite he was starting to restore. "No but it's a good job you took the hard top off", I replied. " Do you think you give me a hand, I'm a bit stuck?"

So all fairly minor stuff. What about you?

tyred

Legendary Member
Cracked the sitting room window with a piece of skirting board I was fitting, dropped an Audi 80 Coupe on top of myself, managed to short circuit a set of Christmas tree lights, fell of a ladder while trying to cut a branch, stood on a nail which went through my boot and I'm sure many others that haven't come to mind just now.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Stood on end of broom resulting in black eye and smashed nose. Cut finger with secateurs... cue faint. Cut thumb whilst chopping up onion ... cue faint. Took all the top skin off the inside of my thumb whilst trying to remove bar grips, in the sun, very hot, hands sweaty. Still makes me feel sick to think of it. Loads more little misdemeanors and *touch wood* nothing too serious for the future.

Cut through an electric extension cable with a pair of scissors (there were 2; I meant to pick the one that wasn't plugged in). Big flash, loud bang, even louder yelp from me as I flew backwards, landing in the corner of the room.

Also, reaching into the toolbox for a screwdriver without looking, sank a Stanley knife to the bone on the back of my middle finger. Bleeding profusely in a line across the lawn, I shouted to Mrs B in the house to come and see if it was still fastned on. It was, of course. First ever trip to Emergency, but for some reason (possibly because I was 30+) I didn't get either an 'I've Been Brave' sticker or a lollipop.

buddha

Veteran
Put a knife through my palm (right through and out the other side :o) doing the washing up.
Dislocated a shoulder from a fall, having cut through a tree branch I was holding on to :rolleyes:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I managed somehow through lack of concentration to get my finger chewed up by a circular saw. Fortunately it only got mangled between the blade and the guard and not sliced off.

I pay more attention now.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Stood on end of broom resulting in black eye and smashed nose. Cut finger with secateurs... cue faint. Cut thumb whilst chopping up onion ... cue faint. Took all the top skin off the inside of my thumb whilst trying to remove bar grips, in the sun, very hot, hands sweaty. Still makes me feel sick to think of it. Loads more little misdemeanors and *touch wood* nothing too serious for the future.

I know it's a comedy cliche but that's a favourite slapstick sketch and I couldn't help laugh when I read it but I bet it bloody hurt. Did you tell people the truth when they asked about the black eye Snapper and if so what was their reaction?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Not strictly in the home, but i once shut my left hand in the sliding door of VW Transporter van. The door slammed shut and locked on my fingers, the keys to the van were in my left trouser pocket, cue screaming and wriggling about trying to reach them with my right hand.

For no apparant reason i fired a cable stapler into the palm of my hand thinking that i would catch the staple, rather than need to pull it out of the bone which is what actually happened.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I stepped out of the bath, missed the bathmat, slipped over on the vinyl floor and woke up a few moments later with a dislocated shoulder.
I would not advise this as a means of relaxation.
One ambulance, one A&E, two cylinders of NOx, 3 hours and God-only-knows how many attempts at putting it back in it's still all the wrong shape and very hurty. I had to wait till the following morning to have it sorted under a general anaesthetic.
I'd like to say I was stoical and heroic throughout, but I'd be lying. I screeched, whimpered, begged and quite possibly cried.
You can all call me a wuss now.

tyred

Legendary Member
Not at home but outside church, I put my foot on the an iron railing to tie my shoe lace. It was raining and the railing was covered in slippery green gunge from the overhanging trees and my foot slipped and I fell forward and cut my forehead on the spikey thing at the top. :blush:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
For no apparant reason i fired a cable stapler into the palm of my hand thinking that i would catch the staple, rather than need to pull it out of the bone which is what actually happened.

Sorry UD, but that made me :laugh: . Reminds me of when I first started shaving my legs with my dad's BIC and using my forefinger to wipe the blade clean of hair. :ohmy:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I closed a car boot lid on my own head, leading to profuse bleeding, several hours in casualty and some stiches. Then 6 months later, i did it again.
smile.gif

Surely Vernon has some tales to tell? I'm going to get some popcorn in...
smile.gif

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 32
Top Bottom