MTB shoes v Road Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RemyLeBeau

Regular
I used to only ride mountain bikes, then the father-in-law got me into road bikes. Bought a new bike, sold my old one but kept the peddles and never really thought about changing the shoes over to roadies.

I hear some road guys say they always cycle in mountain bikes shoes and these are chaps that cycle over 100 miles a week

So I was just wondering what the benefits of cycling in road shoes are?

vickster

Legendary Member
Potentially stiffer soles, although you can of course get stiff MTB or touring shoes, lighter in weight...although light not necessarily good in winter. Bigger surface area of cleat may prevent hotspot. Some people prefer the look of the shoes and the pedals on a roadbike

Downside, you can't walk so easily as the cleats aren't recessed

People do long distances in all sorts of shoes, depends what works for you

I looked at SPD-SL but I have awkward wide feet and couldn't find one pair of shoes from any brand that were comfortable!

Also I can't abide single sided pedals, which all road ones are. I ride mostly in traffic and have to clip in and out a lot, the pedals being the wrong way round every time used to do my head in! Shimano M520 ftw

There's a sticky on this which may help https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/clipless-pedals-faq.74358/

martint235

Dog on a bike
Metal cleats in MTB shoes don't wear out. I used to use Look road pedals but with commuting I was going through a set of cleats every couple of months. Now I have normal SPD pedals on all the bikes including the long distance one.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
SPD on my everyday/touring bike - easier to walk around.
SPDL on my Sunday best carbon.
Horses for courses.;)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
SPD are much more sexy

biking-high-heels-600x450.jpg

Attachments

• biking-high-heels-600x450.jpg
    biking-high-heels-600x450.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 43

Levo-Lon

Guru
It was a scorcher..silverstone seems to be a wet weather venue..its rained nearly everytime ive been there for track days or anything else..

always been lucky with Donny..just aviation fuel masquerading as rain..stinks

Top Bottom