My Ten Point Plan to Lose Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Simplify to ...

1. Eat good quality food in sensible amounts.
2. Cut down drastically on treats/junk food.
3. Cycle more.

:okay:

That's fine as a principle but it's generic and vague, and therefore not so easy to follow. I think the OP has the right idea to identify specific causes (such as the biscuits at work) and address those - much easier to work to a well-defined strategy.

Of course, it will only work if the OP is brutally honest with himself and isn't ignoring other specific sources of excess calories. I found that keeping a food diary helped (myfitnesspal) though it does require a lot of self-discipline to keep it up.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
4. Stop using full fat milk in tea and coffee

Assuming around 30ml of milk per cuppa, swapping whole milk for semi-skimmed will achieve a reduction of 6 calories, skimmed milk will achieve a reduction of 10 calories. Unless you're drinking gallons of tea and coffee every day, that's not going to make a significant difference.

One digestive biscuit is around 70 calories, so doing without that biscuit to go with your cuppa is a far more significant benefit.

Cutting out those extra portions of dinner will be even more significant, probably accounting for several hundred calories a time.

Consider also that one less post-work pint with your colleagues is a saving of 200-250 calories.

9. Stop stuffing my face after a ride, just eat normally

This is a good one. It's easy to deceive yourself that you've 'earned' a big feed after a ride.

I know a thing or two about how to lose a few pounds.
Exhibit A.
Me after a severe injury enforced 18 month cycling hiatus, back in 2009

IMG_3769.PNG

Exhibit B.

Me 12 months later, having got back to the cycling, and doing my own version of dieting.

IMG_0856.PNG

That's 7 stone lighter:eek:.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
That is a serious achievement. Am I reading correctly that you lost 7 stone in one year ?Wow.

I am about 2 stone above my ideal weight and plan on starting a weight loss plan on 27th December. Also wont be going silly over Christmas .

U

User6179

I have lost nearly 3 stone since August with the four hour diet which I invented myself , I can only eat every 4 hours , no snacking unless on a ride, no fry ups, no cheese, takeaway on a Saturday, no alcohol :cry:

I have about a stone left to lose which I think will take as long as the previous 3 stone as the weather is stopping me getting some miles in .

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
[QUOTE 4606292, member: 9609"]stone :eek:[/QUOTE]

no, in stone, 11

Cut out Chinese/Italian/Indian/Mexican takeaway meals
Cut out 'supermarket' ready meals
Cook proper meals using fresh ingredients
Plenty fresh fruit & vegetables
No cakes/buns/pastries/biscuits/chocolate/sweets/crisps
Alcohol is wasted carbs, there is no nutritional value to them so cut the booze

Exercise is a very small part of loosing weight and keeping it off and it isn't simply a case of going on a diet, it's more a lifestyle change. If you want to succeed then you have to change the way you eat & drink...forever
Steady on there.

Don't cut out all the 'treats' completely. Just cut them out on non riding days, and be aware of portion size. Allow yourself 'sins'. These are things that shouldn't really be eaten / drunk during a diet phase, but be aware of the calorie content of the 'sin', and limit them accordingly. If you do drink alcohol, swap things like beers and wines, for spirits. If you're a spirit and mixer type of drinker, swap the normal mixer for a low cal version, some alcohol free beers aren't too obnoxious either ( Becks Blue for example ). Remember to tell yourself that the diet your on, is not a permanent thing, just a way of fixing a problem. When you have shifted the weight, remember not to do the things that caused the weight gain in the first place again. 90 percent of the battle is mental, you beat that, you'll win.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I need to cut back atm , night shift is my problem as i get up and stuff my face with all of the aforementioned biccies/ choc if im not careful , that and i put my back out the other week so i have been taking it easy .
Aiming to get back to my proper weight of 147 llbs for the new year .

keithmac

Guru
no, in stone, 11

How tall are you?, my ideal weight is 76kg at 5'10" which is around 11 stone iirc?.

Remember if you've got muscle on your legs it'll scew the BMI slightly.

For me the top end of "healthy" BMI is what I aim for, the bottom end would be too light..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How tall are you?, my ideal weight is 76kg at 5'10" which is around 11 stone iirc?.

Remember if you've got muscle on your legs it'll scew the BMI slightly.

For me the top end of "healthy" BMI is what I aim for, the bottom end would be too light..
76kg is close to 12 stone, 11 stone is about 70 kg

screenman

Legendary Member
I have gone up 20lb this year and it will come off next, to much comfort eating unfortunately. All I have to do is move out of the house and stop going to Boston, that should lose that much in just a couple of weeks.

Or another idea is super glue my gob shut.

I have lost nearly 3 stone since August with the four hour diet which I invented myself , I can only eat every 4 hours , no snacking unless on a ride, no fry ups, no cheese, takeaway on a Saturday, no alcohol :cry:

I have about a stone left to lose which I think will take as long as the previous 3 stone as the weather is stopping me getting some miles in .

You should put that in book - you could be sitting on a goldmine. !

Top Bottom