My Ten Point Plan to Lose Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Steady on there.

Don't cut out all the 'treats' completely. Just cut them out on non riding days, and be aware of portion size. Allow yourself 'sins'. These are things that shouldn't really be eaten / drunk during a diet phase, but be aware of the calorie content of the 'sin', and limit them accordingly. If you do drink alcohol, swap things like beers and wines, for spirits. If you're a spirit and mixer type of drinker, swap the normal mixer for a low cal version, some alcohol free beers aren't too obnoxious either ( Becks Blue for example ). Remember to tell yourself that the diet your on, is not a permanent thing, just a way of fixing a problem. When you have shifted the weight, remember not to do the things that caused the weight gain in the first place again. 90 percent of the battle is mental, you beat that, you'll win.

^^^^^^^^ this in spades. that's almost exactly what I did, but I cut out the beer almost completely. even the alcohol free stuff

Have you had a look at ketossis or a ketogenic diet it works.
It has prob's but you can go down to 500 cal's per day.
I am losing a .5 kg per day average and don't feel hungry, and that is the main consideration.
Downside you cant ride bike due to lack of glycogen in legs!
But everything else functions.

Have you had a look at ketossis or a ketogenic diet it works.
It has prob's but you can go down to 500 cal's per day.
I am losing a .5 kg per day average and don't feel hungry, and that is the main consideration.
Downside you cant ride bike due to lack of glycogen in legs!
But everything else functions.

I affect different people in different ways, I'm not fully Ketogenic, but i've given up bread, Rice and pasta. And my endurance has gone up although my sprint speed has dropped a little it doesn't affect my type of riding that much.

Lost a stone, although yesterday was a full on pizza day (I'm weak) andI can't give up my Coke Zero or Diet Irn Bru.

It works for some

Granted It makes you lose weight.

Serious ones, that don't become obvious for a while.

You'd be better off sticking your finger / a tooth brush down your throat after eating.

Quite right, best to keep it secret for the time being.
Needs a lot of research and testing first.
The Hunters of the Neolithic have a lot to answer for.

I affect different people in different ways, I'm not fully Ketogenic, but i've given up bread, Rice and pasta. And my endurance has gone up although my sprint speed has dropped a little it doesn't affect my type of riding that much.

Lost a stone, although yesterday was a full on pizza day (I'm weak) andI can't give up my Coke Zero or Diet Irn Bru.

It works for some

That's good to hear that you been successful.

I try to get all my carb out of low carb veg's
with a 100 cal's top up from time to time.
That way I can have a steak for diner and
still lose weight fast.

Quite right, best to keep it secret for the time being.
Needs a lot of research and testing first.
The Hunters of the Neolithic have a lot to answer for.
Well, if you need the science behind the problems, they are quite simple.

You feel the issues in your leg muscles, you mentioned it, yes?

What do you think your heart is?

A bit of leg muscle damage, and all you'll get is a bit of loss of function, in the long term.

Any heart muscle damage, is a much bigger problem.

There are better, safer ways to lose weight. Ketosis diets are effective in the short term, but relatively risky. There are many reason humans now routinely live past their early thirties these days, evolution, education, understanding of diet and nutrition are but a few.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
Admittedly I have lost a stone in last 14 days due to illness but prior to that I lost 2 stone with no diet or lifestyle change...just head down arse up on the bike. We only have a takeaway once a month in the house and eat properly every day. I still like a treat with a brew... it's all relative.

Julia9054

Guru
I intend to stop drinking except for very occasionally. I used to drink very sparingly but took up beer when we moved house 18 months ago. In the last 18 months, 7 - 10 pounds have crept on - clearly not a coincidence. I am still within the healthy BMI range but flabbier than I'd like to be.
I am also awaiting the results of some potentially serious medical tests. If I am going to have a really crappy start to 2017, it will help if I am as healthy as I can be.
Time for all the clothes on and off on my bike . . .

Admittedly I have lost a stone in last 14 days due to illness but prior to that I lost 2 stone with no diet or lifestyle change...just head down arse up on the bike. We only have a takeaway once a month in the house and eat properly every day. I still like a treat with a brew... it's all relative.
That's exactly right. Eat a healthy, balanced diet, don't wait until you feel hungry before you eat, that's a sure fire way to find yourself over eating.

fixedfixer

Veteran
I use an App called MyNet Diary where you log what you eat and your exercise. You can use barcodes to scan food values - you'd be surprised how many miles you need to cycle to burn off those biscuits.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Short term goals are a really good incentive. I gave myself little rewards too, when I was losing weight (lost 3 1/2 stone the year before last). For every 7lbs I lost I bought myself a new CD. For every 1lb I lost I stuck a quid in a jam jar. I drew a smiley for every day I stuck to plan on my calendar, same with riding, I drew a bike. You get to the point where you just don't want to break a 'streak'. Its a visual thing.

As for treats, a freezer is a beautiful thing. If you like chocolate, break the bar into chunks and stick them in your freezer. they last an age in your mouth then and you feel satisfied with one or two bits instead of the whole bar. Works with snickers, mars etc too. just slice them up.

I give (and gave) myself weekly exercise challenges. Things like walk 10,000 steps in a day or ride for 5 hours in a week, get at least 2 swims in.
Breaking things into smaller chunks is often a key tool in weight loss and getting fitter. I ran a few half Ironman events a decade and a half ago. My first goal was not to run a half iron man, it was to be able to ride 10 miles on my bike (I was already a good, fit runner) and to swim for half a mile without stopping. It just grew from there. Little goals that you achieve end up becoming stepping stones to that big huge goal that is looming in your mind.

Just my four penneth worth. I'll shut up and go away now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My first goal was not to run a half iron man, it was to be able to ride 10 miles on my bike (I was already a good, fit runner).
I am not being funny here, but this is something that has always baffled me ...

Riding a bike (at a moderate speed) is so much easier than running that I can never understand why a runner would not automatically be able to ride a decent distance.

I know that muscles are used differently so a fit cyclist might be able to ride faster than a fit runner, but I really can't see why any runner would struggle to ride (say) 20-30 (flat) miles.

Having said that, I remember reading about pro cyclists getting knackered doing less than an hour of walking, so maybe it is just a question of different muscle groups. :whistle:

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
I am not being funny here, but this is something that has always baffled me ...

Riding a bike (at a moderate speed) is so much easier than running that I can never understand why a runner would not automatically be able to ride a decent distance.

I know that muscles are used differently so a fit cyclist might be able to ride faster than a fit runner, but I really can't see why any runner would struggle to ride (say) 20-30 (flat) miles.

Having said that, I remember reading about pro cyclists getting knackered doing less than an hour of walking, so maybe it is just a question of different muscle groups. :whistle:
Cycle fit and running fit are two totally different things. Muscle groups used in different ways.. the impact of running on the body itself means it takes alot more conditioning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom