My Ten Point Plan to Lose Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I know that muscles are used differently so a fit cyclist might be able to ride faster than a fit runner, but I really can't see why any runner would struggle to ride (say) 20-30 (flat) miles.

I once did a group duathlon (run-bike-run) duathlon where most of the group were predominantly runners rather than cyclists, while I'm more of a cyclist than a runner. I was several minutes behind them on the run, but they struggled to keep up with me on the bike, even sitting in my draft.

I don't think it's just using different muscles, it's those muscles being accustomed to being used in certain ways - the action of running and the action of pedalling are quite different.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
Riding 10 miles doesn't require you to be fit!

I had a 20 year break from cycling and the first ride I did after that was 15 miles long with a steep hill in the middle. I wasn't fit.
Certainly doesn't if you ride at 5mph... it's all relative. But if you want to ride 10 miles in 30 minutes... different story. That's why I said the two types are so apart. The effort required is totally different and so is the expended energy.

Julia9054

Guru
I am not being funny here, but this is something that has always baffled me ...

Riding a bike (at a moderate speed) is so much easier than running that I can never understand why a runner would not automatically be able to ride a decent distance.

I know that muscles are used differently so a fit cyclist might be able to ride faster than a fit runner, but I really can't see why any runner would struggle to ride (say) 20-30 (flat) miles.

Having said that, I remember reading about pro cyclists getting knackered doing less than an hour of walking, so maybe it is just a question of different muscle groups. :whistle:
Odd, isn't it!
I took a friend on a bike ride a couple of years ago and almost broke her! We only rode 25 miles and I had to leave her in a cafe, cycle home and get the car. She runs marathons!
I'm fairly sure I couldn't run to the end of the road ( disclaimer - never tried!)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
As for treats, a freezer is a beautiful thing. If you like chocolate, break the bar into chunks and stick them in your freezer. they last an age in your mouth then and you feel satisfied with one or two bits instead of the whole bar. Works with snickers, mars etc too. just slice them up.
As someone who thinks nothing of guzzling a whole bar in one go :mrpig: - that sounds worth a try! :okay:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
As someone who thinks nothing of guzzling a whole bar in one go :mrpig: - that sounds worth a try! :okay:
It works for me. I also hide my chocolate in various places in the freezer. I buy expensive 70% stuff now as I get my choc hit with the little bit that I eat. I can shave little curls of the stuff off with my front teeth and make one bit last half an hour or more. I might refreeze it (not killed me yet)

Saluki

I am not being funny here, but this is something that has always baffled me ...

Riding a bike (at a moderate speed) is so much easier than running that I can never understand why a runner would not automatically be able to ride a decent distance.

Having said that, I remember reading about pro cyclists getting knackered doing less than an hour of walking, so maybe it is just a question of different muscle groups. :whistle:
I lived in N Staffs. It was lumpy. I am a Norfolk girl and lumps are an anathema to me.

Yup, riding is easier than running but running muscles protest like buggery when you start riding. Nowadays I couldn't run if my life depended on it, well I probably could but it wouldn't be pretty or efficient

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I lived in N Staffs. It was lumpy. I am a Norfolk girl and lumps are an anathema to me.

Yup, riding is easier than running but running muscles protest like buggery when you start riding. Nowadays I couldn't run if my life depended on it, well I probably could but it wouldn't be pretty or efficient
Ah, well, hills definitely do make things harder.

I always found running difficult but that isn't surprising because there is the pounding that it gives one's legs which cycling doesn't do.

Saluki

Ah, well, hills definitely do make things harder.

I always found running difficult but that isn't surprising because there is the pounding that it gives one's legs which cycling doesn't do.
I have no hankering, any longer, to run. Cycling is all I need. That and a bit of planking to keep my core in shape

MarkF

Guru
Interesting read..................I am 54 and the same weight as when I was 25, but I have a better physique now. I drink like a fish but have a real fear of being a fatso, so I only eat when I am hungry (never meat) and I only eat well. I never touch, or want, sweets, pasties, stodgy stuff and I can't see my weight doing anything but go down a bit as I age.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Interesting read..................I am 54 and the same weight as when I was 25, but I have a better physique now. I drink like a fish but have a real fear of being a fatso, so I only eat when I am hungry (never meat) and I only eat well. I never touch, or want, sweets, pasties, stodgy stuff and I can't see my weight doing anything but go down a bit as I age.
You are getting a lot of 'empty calories' from the alcohol. Since you are not putting on weight you must be eating correspondingly less food. You are not getting the nutrients and fibre that you would normally get from the missing food.

Top Bottom