Name the stuff that you regret ever buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Could add sandwich toaster to the list for me too. I love them, makes awesome sandwiches and I'd eat them every day, but dear god the cleaning involved afterwards...

Got fed up with it and put it away, haven't used it for ages since
I don't remember there being a lot of cleaning with our old one. Occasionally some cheese or something would leak out but I'd give it a wipe over and it was fine for the next use.

MarkF

Guru
Telescope, I had high hopes but had to buy "Astronomy for Idiots", I still don't get it, not even sure about the dark side of the moon despite my lad using an orange and an egg to demonstrate. I should stick it on Ebay but it looks nice.

1962 Vespa Gran Lusso, bought it for £1200 when it was worth £500 tops. I had ideas of being an urban coolio on a vintage scooter with lovely patina. £2.5k later it is as it left the factory in 1962, I've stopped using it, it might get dirty. It is such a shame, it's beautiful so I won't sell it, maybe make a telescope/scooter feature for the dining room?

or8.jpg

Xjr1300 one week 70 miles lost a grand ,traded for a cbrxx much better..
10 years ago I went the other way, CBR1000 to XJR1200 and was much happier, sans plastic.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Telescope, I had high hopes but had to buy "Astronomy for Idiots", I still don't get it, not even sure about the dark side of the moon despite my lad using an orange and an egg to demonstrate. I should stick it on Ebay but it looks nice.

1962 Vespa Gran Lusso, bought it for £1200 when it was worth £500 tops. I had ideas of being an urban coolio on a vintage scooter with lovely patina. £2.5k later it is as it left the factory in 1962, I've stopped using it, it might get dirty. It is such a shame, it's beautiful so I won't sell it, maybe make a telescope/scooter feature for the dining room?

or8.jpg

10 years ago I went the other way, CBR1000 to XJR1200 and was much happier, sans plastic.
Few years ago I had a spin on a mates (Graham) FJ12. stunning engine (148 ish BHP)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Currently I can't really come up with anything other than a turbo trainer... Which I went on to sell.
Ah yes, the blasted turbo trainer. Cost a fortune back in the day and after using it for a couple of hours max it spent the next two decades as a very expensive gear adjustment stand. The roller had long been put somewhere I could never find it and earlier this year it went down the tip.

And a twin tape deck bought just before CD recorders became affordable. It's still on the Hi-Fi now and when I get nostalgic and dig out my case full of old tapes it brings home how diabolical cassette tapes were, despite having Dolby this and Dolby that on the player.

Cavalol

Guru
I could probably write a book on the rubbish I've wasted money on but the one that sticks out the most was a VW Passat. I've never got one with Vws, so I don't really know why I took one as part-ex on my car, but I did. It was 1998 B5 1.9 diesel and it was just awful: the turbo packed up (N75 valve, thankfully not a big or expensive job) the foot wells used to fill with water and the electrics went haywire. No matter how many things I fixed, something else went wrong and I honestly don't think it went more than a few days without it packing up or something else breaking. Absolute and utter heap of junk. I learnt my lesson there, alright*

*Oh, until earlier this year when I bought a 2004 Polo because it was dirt cheap. It was dirt cheap because it was absolutely rubbish and caused as many problems as the Passat did.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've stopped using it, it might get dirty. It is such a shame, it's beautiful so I won't sell it, maybe make a telescope/scooter feature for the dining room?

I did that with my fixed wheel 531 framed Carlton. Bought for £15 from a car boot sale, very tatty and nice patina of age coating of rust, I rode it practically all the time, summer and winter. Then I decided to restore it, did a lovely paint job on the frame, bought the correct decals, coverted to cotterless chainset, found a set of nice 27" wheels with a double sided fixed/free hub and I've barely used it since as I don't want to damage it.:wacko: I wouldn't mind but it's the nicest riding bike I have. I liked it better when it looked like it had been dredged from a canal as I could enjoy it then.

screenman

Legendary Member
Blow up canoe with a puncture, which I did not know about until the wife and I were a mile+ down the river and noticed it was leaning to one side. We did get back a bit quick and it has remained in the shed since.

Levo-Lon

Guru

or8.jpg

I had 2 cbr 1000's the 1989 Fk nice bike, and a 97 Fp Iiirc im not a unfaired bike lover bar the old kh's I had

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I did that with my fixed wheel 531 framed Carlton. Bought for £15 from a car boot sale, very tatty and nice patina of age coating of rust, I rode it practically all the time, summer and winter. Then I decided to restore it, did a lovely paint job on the frame, bought the correct decals, coverted to cotterless chainset, found a set of nice 27" wheels with a double sided fixed/free hub and I've barely used it since as I don't want to damage it.:wacko: I wouldn't mind but it's the nicest riding bike I have. I liked it better when it looked like it had been dredged from a canal as I could enjoy it then.
That's a shame, I love my old Carlton and the Worksop Raleigh 531 I've got. Never ridden anything that is as comfy yet sporty I think its in the geometry of the frame and the skill they were put together with. Mind I do like gearing as well so the Carlton runs 10 speed all late 80s 105 and the Raleigh is on 16 speed for now (a mix of hyperglide cassette and Ultegra) but may get an Ultegra triple I've got spare sitting in the shed fitted (unless I decide to put that on another bike instead)

MarkF

Guru
There's an old joke about buying a sandwich toaster and only using it 3 times. I love toasted sandwiches and used to use ours nearly every lunchtime when I was at home. I've asked for another one for Christmas this year.

I have an unused sandwich toaster, and a multi-blend thing and a juicer, they are right up there with our digital picture frames as most useless and unused purchases.

Got fed up with it and put it away, haven't used it for ages since

The cheese in the hinges will be yummy by now.

Top Bottom