Non-Stick frying pans for camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
Myself and my wife while touring for three months each year, like where possible to have a fry-up for breakfast, and also eat fried chops, sausages etc for evening meals. For many years we used two Trangia non stick frypans, bought back in the 1990's, and they were fantastic (used on gas stoves). A couple of years ago the larger one finally wore out and I bought a new replacement - it was shite! Within a few weeks the non stick had come off, and by the end of the tour it was only fit for the bin. Last season I bought another, thinking the previous may have been a fake, I got it from a reputable supplier rather than cheapest on Ebay. It was also shite and suffered the same fate.
So, does anyone have any experience of lightweight non-stick frying pans, available now that are actually any good? We are off touring again in May, and I want my bacon and fried eggs for breakfast!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Non stick coatings seem rather fragile and ill suited to the uneven heat often produced by small stoves. Even with good kitchen hobs, few pans last more than a few years intact. Isn't this a situation for stainless metal pans and carrying some baking soda for any difficult burnt on bits?

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
It is obviously possible, as our smaller Trangia pan has lasted the best part of 25 years, and many hundreds of uses - if they could do it in the 1990s surely someone can now. Problem I find with stainless pans, is that in camping weights they are too thin, and fried eggs stick!

UltralightOutdoorGear do a Sea to Summit Alpha pan - very pricey, but I will pay if it works - anyone used one?

Last edited:

mjr

It is obviously possible, as our smaller Trangia pan has lasted the best part of 25 years, and many hundreds of uses - if they could do it in the 1990s surely someone can now.
Was that when they still used now-banned chemicals like PFOAs in production of non-stick?

Problem I find with stainless pans, is that in camping weights they are too thin, and fried eggs stick!
If you set out your target weight and size, maybe more experienced campers than me can suggest or recommend options.

Non-stick pans are very fragile and only last a few months, or only once, if you overheat it.
My strategy is to buy super cheap and replace often. I even stock spares, since I buy three or four at a time and, sans emotion, just chuck them in the recycle bin when eggs start to stick with them.
It's no use buying fancy ones with long gaurantee. The fine print usually excludes the coating.

Finally, the worst of them all is the ceramic type. They are absolutely fantastic...for about 10 uses and then turn into egg superglue.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ah, but I've been waiting for you to comment. A while ago you bought a ceramic non-stick pan and said you'll report back on its longevity.

How did that go?
Blimey, that’s some memory, I still have it but it’s in the Motorhome, so it doesn’t get so much use. Not as non-stick as when new, but still pretty good and still non-teflon :-)
Cast iron pans are more hassle, but somehow more pleasurable to use...
Sadly though, Teflon works well...

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
If you watch this you will never use a non-stick pan ever again, ever. Shocking. Also fabrics chemically treated so they are windproof or waterproof.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06rs4v2

For me it is stainless steel or titanium pans.

mjr

Finally, the worst of them all is the ceramic type. They are absolutely fantastic...for about 10 uses and then turn into egg superglue.
I've a little ceramic egg frying pan. Had it about 18 months, use it only maybe 3 times a month but it's still non-stick. IMO what you absolutely must not do is fry something like aubergine or courgette on ceramic and then expect it to stay non-stick enough for eggs.

Does anyone know what that stone-on-metal non-stick stuff actually is? Brand names include Graniteware, Granitestone and Carote (although that last seems unpopular for induction). Probably also too fragile for camping, though.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've seen the tiny non-stick pans in stores, but I have and use a very small cast-iron pan, well seasoned, or I use stainless pans, and de-glaze in the final step of cooking. If I fry at all. I often subsist on dehydrated soups when making short tours anymore. Longer tours used to require frying, but diet restrictions may limit both longer tours and frying. Gettin old.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Non stick coatings seem rather fragile and ill suited to the uneven heat often produced by small stoves. Even with good kitchen hobs, few pans last more than a few years intact. Isn't this a situation for stainless metal pans and carrying some baking soda for any difficult burnt on bits?
Tefal pans are inexpensive, stand up to my impatient use of metal utensils and last me well over a decade.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Teflon wears out too quick imho. I’ve tried a lot over the years. Titanium is expensive and too fragile. I’ve settled on MSR kit; their frying pan is superb. Cannot beat cast iron for camping, but too heavy for the bicycle unless you have incredible thighs.

Top Bottom