Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Haemorrhoids were invented by Emma Freud.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The grandfather of Casualty thespian and Strictly hoofer Charles Venn invented the mathematical diagram that still bears the family name.

Further research suggests that fellow Strictly "celebrities" invented the following:

Graham Swann - the matching kettle and toaster combo. Before this, all small kitchen appliances were serviceable but mismatched.

Ashley Roberts - an expensive radio that looks like it's from the 60s

Tess Daly - disposable contact lenses

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Further research suggests that fellow Strictly "celebrities" invented the following:

Graham Swann - the matching kettle and toaster combo. Before this, all small kitchen appliances were serviceable but mismatched.

Ashley Roberts - an expensive radio that looks like it's from the 60s

Tess Daly - disposable contact lenses
Roberts Radios have been around since the 50s, they've just not changed the design much

f52c7ce5d7c8f2b3dca80e446183d35b.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Robert had so many radios stolen he began putting a label on them stating 'Roberts'

It did no go though, even I have one bought from a 'fence'.
I'd heard tales of odd goings on in Leeds, but fences selling radios!!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Roberts are now made in the far East by Tecsun. About as British as Mao Tse Tung these days.
QUAD too sadly now, my 44 Pre-amp was one of the last products made in Huntingdon but to be fair the company had been sold to an investment group so they didn't have a choice in the matter.

However a lot of the engineers were retained as the service dept. in Huntingdon which was actually set up as a separate company which handles warranty/guarantee work under contract to IAG as well as servicing and repair of every product they've ever made.

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, Tecsuns own branded stuff is regarded in the ham radio world as cost effective and good value. It's just those attributes don't necessarily represent what Roberts Radio was traditionally supposed to stand for.

Top Bottom