Online Conveyancing

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

We have just accepted an offer on my father's bungalow, has anybody used any of the online conveyancing firms? We've sold the property via Strike, they offer an online conveyancing package for £988 which seems expensive to me, although I may be proved wrong.

PK99

Legendary Member
We have just accepted an offer on my father's bungalow, has anybody used any of the online conveyancing firms? We've sold the property via Strike, they offer an online conveyancing package for £988 which seems expensive to me, although I may be proved wrong.

You would be best advised to use an independent conveyancer rather than one linked to the estate agent who sold the property who inevitably will have divided loyalties.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What’s an online conveyancer?
Most conveyancing firms will do all communications via email or phone anyway from some remote office.

midlife

Guru
Last conveyancer I dealt with had an office miles away and never met them. All done via email Fab job though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

What’s an online conveyancer?
Most conveyancing firms will do all communications via email or phone anyway from some remote office.
Last house I bought/sold was over 35 years ago with a solicitor which you had to physically go into the office to sign the paperwork, because of both my sisters & fathers health this would be difficult, I'm advised that some firms offer a full online service, if the terminology is incorrect then apologies, but I thought it was obvious, clearly not.
Last conveyancer I dealt with had an office miles away and never met them. All done via email Fab job though.
Who were they?

Salar

A fish out of water
We've recently moved.

We used one of the best big practices in the area. Selling fee £850.00 Purchase fee £750.00. (Obviously extras on top. land registry, searches etc).

They were excellent, pushing the processes through quickly, one advantage being they knew the other practices involved in the chain.

Personally I'd stick local with who you know.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Personally I'd stick local with who you know.
That is part of the problem, we don't know anybody all the solicitors both my father & I used when we last bought houses are no longer in business, the house that is being sold is 50 miles away from where my father now resides, my sister who he lives with can no longer drive, public transport is not an option as they only get 1 bus every Tuesday leaves the village at 8:30 returns 4:30. I can go pick them up & take them to see somebody, but an online option would be far easier all round.

Salar

A fish out of water
Might be worth using online in that situation.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
One word of caution. A old work colleagues father has used a cheap conveyancing company rather than a solicitor (this was long before "online" was even a thing) and they embezzled the money so he lost the price of a house due to fraud.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

For a simple 'sell' I would certainly go online, in fact if you were feeling brave enough you could DIY.
True, I know when we were going to sell our house about 10 years ago I did look into it, but i think for £600-£1000 the legal indemnity maybe worth paying for, was just hoping somebody had personal experience rather than just drawing one from a hat.

For instance, I got a quote from a firm, https://www.muve.me.uk/ they sent an email saying they offered 2 services muveforward £373, or muvefast £873, then a followup email from an Onboarding Executive, quoting £537.60. As the property last changed hands over 30 years ago we know it's on the land registry, but we don't think it's on the computerised system. I emailed back to the Onboarding Executive asking if it wasn't on the computerised system would there be additional fees. I received a phone call from said executive introducing herself & asking was there anything she could help with, yes I replied I sent you an email about the land registry, Oh she said I haven't seen that yet, oh yes you did send an email, I'm just waiting for a response from the conveyance team. But if she hasn't seen it, how can she be waiting for a response? Email 20 minutes later there maybe an additional £200 to pay but they won't know until they approach the land registry.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
One word of caution. A old work colleagues father has used a cheap conveyancing company rather than a solicitor (this was long before "online" was even a thing) and they embezzled the money so he lost the price of a house due to fraud.

The other risk with cheap is competence and sense of urgency. My daughter nearly lost a place she was desperate for because somebody else in the short chain had gone for the cheapest conveyancing they could find.

Top Bottom