Over powered bikes that are resticted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickWi

Guru
I want to be able to get to work without arriving there hot, sweaty and in need of a change of clothes and a shower.
A tip, slow down a bit. When I used to walk to work I did exactly that. I didn't don trainers & running gear, I walked at a sensible pace so I didn't get hot & sweaty. When I changed jobs and cycled in, the same principle applied, abeit with a couple of concessions to practicality. It's a commute, not a workout.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sorry but that is really confusing, initially you say that the battery assist wasn't enough so had to put in a lot of effort, then you say you'd be happy at 4mph to me they seem in conflict with each other.

I'm saying that the Wisper ebike I had was not powerful enough to get up hills without pedalling. If I had a more powerful motor, that was legal, and could only get up a steep hill at 4mph, I'd be happy with that. I wouldn't expect to fly up it, just to get up it would suffice

Drago

Legendary Member
You mean that which he had written.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You mean that which he had written.

No! It’s “what he wrote.”

IMG_0381.jpeg

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Sorry but that is really confusing, initially you say that the battery assist wasn't enough so had to put in a lot of effort, then you say you'd be happy at 4mph to me they seem in conflict with each other.

I would argue that people are simply expecting miracles, if you're riding with 250 watts of assistance and minimal pedalling on a road style bike you'll probably slow down quite considerably on most hills, take a 7 percent incline, you'll probably be below 20km/h , an 11 percent incline will in all likelihood see your speed down to around 7-10km/h, and anything steeper will be much slower, until you start adding some of your own watts. Also consider that gear selection is still critical, if you need to be in the granny ring without any assistance it will also be reasonable to assume you need to be in the granny ring with the assistance and not expect it to cruise up the hill in 52-11 as if the hill did not exist. As it is, 250W gives you performance that will exceed the abilities of the average person who doesn't cycle regularly, if you're wanting more, you'll either need to get fitter or accept the position you're in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Or maybe you should read more carefully.

I don't think any of the rest of us had any difficulty in understanding what he wrote. I disagreed with him, but that wasn't due to the way he wrote it
I'll add the whole paragraph then so you can try to a little harder to understand the point he was making
I may be misinformed or mistaken, but I always assumed that e-bikes had been allowed to be used under the same rules as a standard person powered bicycle because they enabled less able, less fit, or more elderly people to complete journeys safely at a speed similar to 'normal' cyclists so not really posing any greater risk to the public?
His assumption is that e-bikes were for the less fit, or more elderly people, he specifically mentions these type of people therefore the inference is the 'normal' cyclist shouldn't be riding them, it's all part of his passive aggressive nature, very much like your own, neither of you like being challenged on your opinions.

Anyway before the @Moderators closed down the thread for petty squabbling I'll bow out & see you in the spring.

Drago

Legendary Member
You can already get safe and legal ebikes faster than that. They're called speed pedelecs.

They require licence and insurance. People argue they should be able to have a little bit more without licence insurance, but if they ever got it then someone would be making their claims for a little bit more, and someone else a little bit more, and so on.

The legal line has to be drawn somewhere and it is eminently sensible that it is drawn south of the moped class that has been in existence for decades. If people then want just a little bit more then they can have just a little bit more under the simple and pre existing legal framework...if they get licenced and insured, neither of which wre difficult, especially expensive, or particularly onerous.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why shouldn't it, if safe and legal?

But that's the whole point isn't it?

If an ebike is faster than a moderately fit cyclist then it is almost certainly not legal, as per the_mikey's description above. The safety aspect is purely down to the user, and letting untested, untrained users loose on powered vehicles that are approaching motorbike/car speeds without ANY controls or restrictions is not going to end well.

I've always agreed that a fit cyclist can match and beat the top speed of an ebike on the flat or downhill so some might argue what is the safety difference between the ebike or the non powered version? The biggest difference, IMO, is that the self propelled cyclist has a very physical and acute awareness of the effort required to reach and maintain a higher speed so usually treats it with much more respect and caution.

Top Bottom