Pedal for Scotland - Team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I took part/organised some Scottish rides on the C+ forum. Most sociable and those who were a wee bit faster stopped to allow us to regroup every so often - in saying that I can't remember any time being in less than a group of 4. I had a few mechanicals on one of the rides and everyone waited at the next refuelling stop for me and gave me time to take in some food as well.

I suppose if everyone knows beforehand the nature of the ride....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Yes as goo says, I like to take part but time is limited and I don't have the training or the bike (yes I know I need one!) to cope with hard rides.

PfS certainly stretched me. Not the distance, but there was a tendency to pick up the pace and as the miles went by, although cardio wise I felt fine, my legs just didn't have it in them (aka Paula!:biggrin:)

However, as the kids get older and I get more time (yeah right) I now know that I would like to do more recreational rides with a bit of challenge and distance in them. Who knows, maybe one day I might even get a road bike...;)

Noodley

Hairy Jock said:
Maybe if we had a few shorter training rides to build up first....

What about starting off with a 100km ride? Starting somewhere in Fife (St Andrews?) or Perthshire (Perth?) which should be fairly central(ish) and easy to get to.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Aye, 100km would be enough of a challenge to start with... I did really enjoy yesterdays ride, but have been a wee bit stiff today.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Having just had time to sit down and read the paper, I found The Herald had some really positive coverage of the PfS.

Mr Pig

When I first did the Pedal For Scotland ride most of my practice rides were quite short, about twelve miles, but involved going up and down steep hills. When I came to do the fifty-mile ride I found it easy! There was nothing on the ride that was as hard as what I have out my back door.

Training rides don't have to be long, frequent but tough rides seem to work just as well. In my opinion hills are fantastic preparation, I love them!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hairy Jock said:
Aye, 100km would be enough of a challenge to start with... I did really enjoy yesterdays ride, but have been a wee bit stiff today.

Funnily enough I haven't felt any stiffness or aches following the ride... yet. I suspect I may get it tomorrow, as I always speak too soon !!

experiment

To be honest, my "training" for the PfS consisted of a couple of half-hour sessions on the turbo and one short run to Cramond and back...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Mr Pig said:
When I first did the Pedal For Scotland ride most of my practice rides were quite short, about twelve miles, but involved going up and down steep hills. When I came to do the fifty-mile ride I found it easy! There was nothing on the ride that was as hard as what I have out my back door.

Training rides don't have to be long, frequent but tough rides seem to work just as well. In my opinion hills are fantastic preparation, I love them!

Going up hills is my pet hate. Coming down them, on the other hand, is brilliant ! It's a good job hills have a pay-off for all of the hard work. I just wish I could remind myself of that as I go through the agony of getting up them without expiring. And that's just the small ones that only last for a few minutes ;)

Noodley said:
What about starting off with a 100km ride? Starting somewhere in Fife (St Andrews?) or Perthshire (Perth?) which should be fairly central(ish) and easy to get to.
I did the Fife 100k's with folk off the C+ forum and it was a really enjoyable ride. We got a good crowd. It also convinced me that I didn't need to do a whole 100 k's with a heavy D lock:blush:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It was the hills that got me, it was the race pace, that and carrying about 6kg in the pannier, the D Lock, etc...

By the end of the day (after I had dropped off the back of the peliton) I was still averaging a couple of miles per hour faster then my normal touring pace. It is good to be stretched once in a while.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Hairy Jock said:
It was the hills that got me, it was the race pace, that and carrying about 6kg in the pannier, the D Lock, etc...

By the end of the day (after I had dropped off the back of the peliton) I was still averaging a couple of miles per hour faster then my normal touring pace. It is good to be stretched once in a while.
It wasn't supposed to be a race.

Still, if 1 cyclist = a commute; and 2 cyclists = a race;
then 5,000 cyclists = .........
(answers to PfS :biggrin:)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
scoosh said:
It wasn't supposed to be a race.

Still, if 1 cyclist = a commute; and 2 cyclists = a race;
then 5,000 cyclists = .........
(answers to PfS :biggrin:)

Try telling that to the big roadie in the white jersey, at least we beat him;)

Mr Pig said:

I agree with that!

My commute is 5 miles each way consisiting of two long average uphills and one short bastard. It certainly helped me over the longer distance on Sunday.

No stiffness to report, just the normal tiredness. But well worth it. :biggrin:

Top Bottom