Pedal for Scotland - Team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
He's probably sitting right now, with steam coming out of his ears, plotting his revenge for next year. :biggrin:

:smile:

I have a little stiffness behind my knees (hamstring or calf tendons I think) but nothing major.

The more I reflect, the more I realise how much I enjoyed the ride and the challenge. I think I will be finding out more about our cycle to work scheme, sooner rather than later!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

P.S. Did anyone get the roadies e-mail address, so I can send him the url of the video once I've edited it....:biggrin:

Don't hold your breath for the video, it'll take a while to sift through the 2.5 - 3 hours I have! :ohmy::smile:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
:The more I reflect, the more I realise how much I enjoyed the ride and the challenge. I think I will be finding out more about our cycle to work scheme, sooner rather than later!

Same here - it really was great to get out and do something that was completely different to the daily commute, and to do it in good company. If I can cadge transport to some of the suggested routes in future, I may be having a good go at combatting my hill phobia and strengthening my legs !

Good to hear you're about to become a Bike2Work user - it's a great way to treat yourself to that shiny new bike for less money :biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

I reckon a good gauge for appropriateness of a potential ride is your av speed, regardless of distance. That's how a few clubs pitch it. e.g. if Goo and HJ and Mag can manage 15mph (25kph) over 6 or 7 miles then you'll probably be good for that over 100km. That's my experience anyways. And as Noodley says, and as you all did on Sunday, it just means a longer cakestop for the quicker ones, so long as you don't mind waiting.

My maximum for 100km is likely to be around 17 - 18mph but I'd be quite happy down to about 13 or 14 if that was the general speed required to include all who wanted to come along. From what I saw on Sunday, you're all easily capable of that.

goo_mason

Tetedelacourse said:
I reckon a good gauge for appropriateness of a potential ride is your av speed, regardless of distance. That's how a few clubs pitch it. e.g. if Goo and HJ and Mag can manage 15mph (25kph) over 6 or 7 miles then you'll probably be good for that over 100km. That's my experience anyways. And as Noodley says, and as you all did on Sunday, it just means a longer cakestop for the quicker ones, so long as you don't mind waiting.

My maximum for 100km is likely to be around 17 - 18mph but I'd be quite happy down to about 13 or 14 if that was the general speed required to include all who wanted to come along. From what I saw on Sunday, you're all easily capable of that.

My average is usually about 16 - 18 during my commute, where I push myself much harder than I did on PfS. But then again I'm at the mercy of the traffic and the lights, so it'd probably be a bit higher than that if I had an uninterrupted run without so many stops and starts. At least that's what I like to tell myself :biggrin:

Yes, I reckon we'd be good for a decent average over a longer distance.

Do you think you'll be persuading Mrs Tete to join us again for a
100k run ? I hope she's speaking to you again by now.... :biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

I don't know about that!

She's happy she did it and it was great for me too for 90% of the day, but I wouldn't put her through those last 10 miles again, knowing the mood she was in. I'll maybe leave her at home next time (I'm sure she would think of something more her cup of tea) so I can show you fellows the reason I got my username :wacko:

(it wasn't at all picked out for crassness whilst watching a tdf broadcast!)

So what about the rest of you folks? Goo and I seem to be in the same "envelope of ability" (ha ha!). Anyone else have the stamina or the patience to ride with us based on this info?

Goo! I thought you looked pretty comfortable on the hills! You didn't appear to be 'struggling' at all.

I don't know what you think, but I thought that your saddle may have been an inch or two too low! That would have put more stain on your thighs, causing them to work harder and tire more quickly! Just my view, though.

Mags! Get yourself a roadbike and you'll be flying - if you can tear yourself away from the rear view, that is! :wacko:

I can only assume that Hairy Jock (with the smoothest non-shaved legs I've seen and the whitest! is older than he looks! Not a grey hair on his head - unlike me, of course! Obviously not enough choccy bars or slices of fruit cake (my secret), otherwise he'd have been with the front-runners.

HLab looked as fit as a butcher's dog! :sad: Not surprised he managed to get out for a long ride on Monday.

Tet (or should that be Lant? :biggrin:), you had the best-looking bike, and the times I saw you, you looked far too comfortable (except, presumably, when you were getting ear-ache from the missus B)).

I think you should try and have a get-together as often as possible; I'm sure there'll be a few others wanting to join in the fun.

When are John and Mrs Tet (or is that Mrs Ex-Tet?) signing up to the forum?

Keep it going, lads, and I look forward to next year's PfS with you if invited! :tongue:.

jassy-x

Tetedelacourse said:
Anyone else have the stamina or the patience to ride with us based on this info?

....I would be up for a run/meet-up with you guys some time......
....I should have been there on Sunday, but had to call off due to family commitments....looks like you guys had a real good day....impressed that Dayvo came all the way from Scandinavialand for it as well....put a few of us to shame...:wacko:..
...would agree with what Noodley said earlier about setting the same start and finish point...would make more sense, and life a bit easier...

goo_mason

Dayvo said:
Goo! I thought you looked pretty comfortable on the hills! You didn't appear to be 'struggling' at all.

I don't know what you think, but I thought that your saddle may have been an inch or two too low! That would have put more stain on your thighs, causing them to work harder and tire more quickly! Just my view, though.

Mags! Get yourself a roadbike and you'll be flying - if you can tear yourself away from the rear view, that is! :wacko:

I can only assume that Hairy Jock (with the smoothest non-shaved legs I've seen and the whitest! is older than he looks! Not a grey hair on his head - unlike me, of course! Obviously not enough choccy bars or slices of fruit cake (my secret), otherwise he'd have been with the front-runners.

HLab looked as fit as a butcher's dog! :tongue: Not surprised he managed to get out for a long ride on Monday.

Tet (or should that be Lant? :biggrin:), you had the best-looking bike, and the times I saw you, you looked far too comfortable (except, presumably, when you were getting ear-ache from the missus B)).

I think you should try and have a get-together as often as possible; I'm sure there'll be a few others wanting to join in the fun.

When are John and Mrs Tet (or is that Mrs Ex-Tet?) signing up to the forum?

Keep it going, lads, and I look forward to next year's PfS with you if invited! :tongue:.

I'd be delighted to see you on the team in 2009, Dayvo ! I'm sure everyone else will say the same (apart from possibly HJ after you slagged off his legs :biggrin::biggrin:)

You're right about my saddle - as well as creaking, it keeps slipping slowly into the frame so after a week or so it's dropped too low. I'll have to hoik it back up again - it used to be high enough so that I was on tiptoes if I put my feet down and didn't lean to one side.

Thanks for the hill-climbing comments. Perhaps it just feels like I'm struggling and about to die, whereas outwardly I give off the appearance of doing OK. It's likely a confidence thing, as I'm not the most self-confident person around.

JOHN !!! That's his name !! For some reason I got it into my head that it might have been Stevie and then I started doubting myself - I was about to PM Magnatom to ask him to remind me. Me and my bloody awful memory :biggrin:

Yes - I think we'll have to come up with a good forum name for John to use, perhaps related to his post-finish meeting with the grass ? :sad:

goo_mason said:
JOHN !!! That's his name! Yes - I think we'll have to come up with a good forum name for John to use, perhaps related to his post-finish meeting with the grass ? ;)

Something like 'Cud chewin', kid beatin', Weegie'?

And to those who don't know (or care), Magnatom's mate, John, crossed the finish line and IMMEDIATELY took out a young kiddie on his bike, and they both ended up on the grass!

Nice one, John! You're probably on youtube now! :biggrin:

Mr Pig

goo_mason said:
You're right about my saddle -it keeps slipping into the frame so after a week it's too low.

The seatpost on my new bike does that too. I might have a fix for you.

My seat clamp had a plastic washer in between the cam/lever and the body of the clamp. I removed the washer, it's sitting on the desk in front of me. The clamp is now easier to close and, if done up tightly, seems to be staying up.

Tetedelacourse

The Mrs is talking to me again, in fact it only took until the car home for her to come round. And a fish supper naturally.

Jassy nice one, you too Gavin although you'll definitely be pegged back judging by your time on Sunday!

Maybe we should arrange something in a new thread over in Rides etc.

Dayvo how about a return leg in Norvege?! That would definitely see me a free man!

Top Bottom