Pedal for Scotland - Team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

I got myself and the Mrs registered yesterday, for the 9.20 kick off. We'll probably see you at the start and you'll be on the train home by the time we get through though.

Dayvo, MTB is now fully serviced and ready. I'll arrange with cameraboy to get it through to the weeg in good time for the ride.

soulful dog

Veteran
As my gradual involvement in cycling has been slightly curtailed (2 weeks and still counting without my bike), I will need to try and do this event next year - maybe then I'll be slightly less overweight & unfit and capable of cycling that far (even with rest stops I know!)..... need to try and avoid cars/lorries for the entire year though :tongue:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tetedelacourse said:
I got myself and the Mrs registered yesterday, for the 9.20 kick off. We'll probably see you at the start and you'll be on the train home by the time we get through though.

Dayvo, MTB is now fully serviced and ready. I'll arrange with cameraboy to get it through to the weeg in good time for the ride.

Cameraboy? At least give me the curtesy of calling me 'bawbag cameraboy' ....:tongue:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Will the 'bawbag cameraboy' be filming some of the ride ? You never know when some car or another will pass too close.... Mind you, seeing the famous Magnatom reaction 'live' would be a treat for his many, many fans :sad:

Tete - do you have (and will you be sporting your) CC jersey on the day ? I'm for the 9.20 start too and will be catching the bus from Victoria Park.

BTW - for anyone who's done this before, do we get a letter or something beforehand to show that we've paid for the bus / trucking of bike ? And I presume it'll tell you what time you'll need to be there to get a bus to be there for your starting slot ?

Tetedelacourse said:

Thanks, Tet! :sad:

Has it got 'normal' pedals? I have spds, but can manage in normal trainers no problem - after all, it's not a race, is it! :biggrin:

goo_mason said:
Tete - do you have (and will you be sporting your) CC jersey on the day?

I'm hoping to look resplendid in mine! :rolleyes:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
goo_mason said:
BTW - for anyone who's done this before, do we get a letter or something beforehand to show that we've paid for the bus / trucking of bike ? And I presume it'll tell you what time you'll need to be there to get a bus to be there for your starting slot ?

Yes, IIRC they will send you a PfS Number to be prominently displayed (so they can try to flog you a photo later :smile:), along with a ticket thing which shows that you have paid for the transport of bike and self to the other end at start/finish and is collected as you load/board.

Last year, it was meet @ Viccy park at something like 0530 :sad:, wait for an hour or more (no rain :biggrin:) till everything was sorted :rolleyes:, then load bikes on to the transporters (they were fairly gentle too). There didn't seem to be any concern about start times.

1 hr through to Weegieland, then decant - last year it was stoatin' :sad:. There was only one guy unloading the truck till a couple volunteered to assist and we collected our bikes, made a comfort stop (quite a laff with so many people in bibshorts :tongue:), then we could start whenever. I think the only start time they are 'precious' about is the first, as that is for the rent-a-politician/"celebrity" photo op. Mind you , it was so-o-o wet last year, people were starting in dribs and drabs as the rain got down their necks :sad:.

It's not a hard ride, lots of food/water stops (loadsa choccy bars :biggrin:), there are only a couple of hilly bits - the worst last year was Hawe's Brae out of South Q'ferry, which challenged some, especially after 35-odd miles (then I got up towards Dalmeny and caught up with a youth, soaked, in T-shirt and football shorts, on a BMX, going fine !!:sad:) After that, it's pretty easy to the finish in Viccy Park again.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Cheers Scoosh !

0530 is my usual crawl-out-of-bed time Tues - Fri; guess I'd better make it a little earlier that day if I've to be at Victoria Park for then. Mind you, it's only five minutes from the flat anyway.

Good job I've taken the Monday off work as a holiday - it'll let me catch up on some extra lost beauty sleep :biggrin:

Mr Pig said:
How? As far as I can remember no plane has ever been hijacked with a pair of bicycle pedals!

When I flew to Finland in June for a sportive, I asked if I would have been allowed to take any tools in my hand luggage. I received a very stern 'NO'! Obviously shoes/pedals aren't a problem, but if I can't take tools, then there's no point in taking shoes/pedals.

It is only 45 miles, after all (I might regret saying 'only'! :biggrin:).

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Dayvo/Tete

Hey Guys,
Before the pedal thing gets out of hand, I think I have some cheapo (OK - Lidl :biggrin:) pedls which I could let you use for the 50 miles, if you so wish. They are spd on one side and flat on t'other and would do fine on an MTB.

Let me know

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
Will the 'bawbag cameraboy' be filming some of the ride ? You never know when some car or another will pass too close.... Mind you, seeing the famous Magnatom reaction 'live' would be a treat for his many, many fans :biggrin:

Probably not. I think you might be surprised at how different I am from the image that everyone seems to have of me. I am actually a pretty laid back guy.....honest! :sad::biggrin:

Mr Pig

Dayvo said:
Obviously shoes/pedals aren't a problem, but if I can't take tools, then there's no point in taking shoes/pedals.

We have tools in Scotland. It's not Wales you know! ;0) I think that if you bring your pedals 'someone' will manage to nail them to the bike for you.

Top Bottom