Phones falling out of pockets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Jersey back-pocket if I'm stopping for photos, or in the saddlebag.
Indeed, I'd have thought that most jersey pockets - zipped or not - are plenty deep enough to stop a phone falling out.

Alex321

Veteran
Like most people who have posted here, always in my jersey back pocket when cycling. Never had one fall out of there yet, even when I've had a big crash. But still easy to get at when I want to stop & take a photo, or pay for a coffee & cake.

Until I got a dedicated bike computer, it used to be in a holder on my handlebars, and was used as my bike computer.

I take a small (Decathlon) rucksack with my wallet, phone, keys, change, first aid kit and bike pump and tools. Carry it in a pannier and when I park the bike somewhere I take my trusty rucky with me.....

freiston

Veteran
I usually have mine in a zipped pocket or a bag. I do have a pair of Endura Firefly trousers (no longer available) which has "open" not zipped pockets that are deep enough not to lose the phone but I find carrying a phone in them uncomfortable as it squashes against the top of my upper leg on the pedal stroke.

What I sometimes use in the summer, when my clothing has fewer pockets than my winter apparel (typically I don't wear cycling jerseys/tops with the back pockets), is a small bum bag - it's big enough to hold my phone, wallet, keys and a bit more (such as my inhaler).

Svendo

Guru
The lament for shallow pockets reminded me of this article I saw the other day;
The holes-in-phones reminds me that following the bank telling my partner they’ll start charging for replacement cards, I did some research and successfully drilled small holes in them for a key ring without killing the contactless aerial, capacitors or chip (close to the embossed numbers was what I went for). Im not sure her iPhone has even that small redundant space though! (‘Can you ring me?’ is often heard in our house)
For me my phone day to day is in my front trouser pocket. Never back pocket as it will eventually fall into the toilet when sitting.
On bikes it’s in the backpack or a DHB phone wallet in middle jersey pocket.
IPhone 6 had a bending issue I think, and a google of bent phone suggests it’s an ongoing issue due to big slim phone design.

Dadam

Phones used to come with a lanyard hole . A few people used to hang phones around their neck. Most people used the lanyard for a wrist loop or toggle.
Apple got rid of the hole for asthetic reasons. People say that modern phones are too big to hang around your neck so they dont need a lanyard hole. , Lanyard users have to press the phone into a holder and fix a lanyard to the holder. Not very secure.
With no lanyard people drop phones into water, off high places and onto hard surfaces.
Bring back the lanyard loop.
You can drill your own hole.

What? I've never known an Apple phone with a lanyard hole, in fact I've never known a phone with one since the old Nokia days. Between me and the wife we've had 3GS, 4, 4S, 5S, 6S, 6S Plus, 8 Plus, and 11. Not one has had a lanyard hole.

But if you want one it would be easy enough to adapt a lot of cases with a hole drilled through. Perfectly secure

Mburton1993

Über Member
I had a small phone in my saddle bag that must've fell out when I went in for a snack, this was on a ride in middish 2021. Since then I've either:
  • Attached a strap to the phone which I loop through the lock in the saddlebag
  • Kept it in the zipped back pocket of my t-shirt.
  • Mounted it to the handlebars
  • Not took it with me.
Those all worked. :smile:

freiston

Veteran
Never put anything like a phone in a pocket whilst riding. Dead simple. Tucked away in a backpack or saddle bag/panniers. Fall off, land on it, phone broken, no way of calling for help.

This is something I always consider when putting stuff in pockets for a bike ride and consequently rarely carry my phone in a pocket. I also consider the damage to me that something in my pocket might facilitate if I come off. My usually off-bike pocket for my phone is a trouser side pocket or a coat breast pocket. Trouser side pocket seems to me a bad idea for bike use (plus I find anything with any discernable weight on my legs when cycling to be irritating).

I usually ride with a saddlebag and a handlebar bag and the phone normally goes into the handlebar bag.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is something I always consider when putting stuff in pockets for a bike ride and consequently rarely carry my phone in a pocket. I also consider the damage to me that something in my pocket might facilitate if I come off. My usually off-bike pocket for my phone is a trouser side pocket or a coat breast pocket. Trouser side pocket seems to me a bad idea for bike use (plus I find anything with any discernable weight on my legs when cycling to be irritating).

I usually ride with a saddlebag and a handlebar bag and the phone normally goes into the handlebar bag.

I've switched to using a back pack of some sore, be it MTB or road these days. I have a lightweight pack for the road bike that contains a waterproof, pump, patches, multi tool etc. It's padded out, so if I do land on my back, I won't have a pump sticking into my spine (I may be a bit adverse due to having had a badly broken spine whilst on the bike). The back pack is a bit of a 'comfort blanket'.

It also means the 'expensive' phone isn't in the line of fire - given that falling off a MTB is guaranteed almost every 'proper' ride.

tom73

Guru
What? I've never known an Apple phone with a lanyard hole, in fact I've never known a phone with one since the old Nokia days. Between me and the wife we've had 3GS, 4, 4S, 5S, 6S, 6S Plus, 8 Plus, and 11. Not one has had a lanyard hole.

But if you want one it would be easy enough to adapt a lot of cases with a hole drilled through. Perfectly secure

Thinking the same thing we've gone though most editions and they never did have a lanyard hole.
Otterbox defender cases do have hole for a lanyard, though I've never felt inclined to ever trust my phone to a lanyard.

Jody

Stubborn git
In a glasses pouch, held to my jersey with a safety pin and then sits in my pocket.

Apple never produced a phone with a hole but before the iphone, all phones had lanyard holes. Apple design excluded this feature. After the iphone all other manufacturers copied Apple and excluded the lanyard hole.

Top Bottom