Phones falling out of pockets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Phones used to come with a lanyard hole . A few people used to hang phones around their neck. Most people used the lanyard for a wrist loop or toggle.
Apple got rid of the hole for asthetic reasons. People say that modern phones are too big to hang around your neck so they dont need a lanyard hole. , Lanyard users have to press the phone into a holder and fix a lanyard to the holder. Not very secure.
With no lanyard people drop phones into water, off high places and onto hard surfaces.
Bring back the lanyard loop.
You can drill your own hole.

I've never had one [out of 1 Smart phone owned] with a lanyard hole.

But I've been carrying cash/passport in a neck pouch (totally waterproof) since 2007, so it seemed natural to stuff my phone in there too. I've heard plenty of riders having phone problems in serious rain, so I plan to continue this practice. Something like this:
MLLL0773-WaterproofNeckPouch-White.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Even a frame pouch works well. The last place I'd put my phone on a bike would be my pocket personally.

One of the situations in which a rider really needs to make an emergency call is: cycling along with phone in back pocket. Crash causes cyclist to land on his back, on a hard object in his back pocket. The phone is broken by the impact.
I have a jacket with a chest pocket and the phone usually lives there, never in back pocket.

On the MTB my phone goes in the front pocket of my shorts every ride and has yet to fall out, even when I've crashed. On the road bike it goes in the jersey pocket. I tend not to put anything in the back pocket of trousers, jeans or shorts. One time I put my phone in my back pocket and managed to sit on it getting into the car.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've never had one [out of 1 Smart phone owned] with a lanyard hole.

But I've been carrying cash/passport in a neck pouch (totally waterproof) since 2007, so it seemed natural to stuff my phone in there too. I've heard plenty of riders having phone problems in serious rain, so I plan to continue this practice. Something like this:
View attachment 675414

Ditto - handy for walks where you might (and do) get caught out by rain.

Dirt cheap as well considering the £'s loss they may prevent.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
For the third time I’ve had phone fall out of my pocket while cycling. This time it has not been returned, I am going to have to submit an insurance claim. I tend to buy largish phones but noted that one pair of my trousers hasn’t got very deep pockets. So once every 2/3 yrs I get home only to realise that I am minus one phone! I doubt that this is uniquely my affliction and it has happened to others. What solutions have others employed to prevent this and to what success?

Zipped pocket, or, if no zipped pocket, in my back-pack.

Gwylan

Veteran
Let's hear it for the weak and feeble who make mistakes and drop their phones.
Or forget to zip them into pockets, stash them in rucksacks, attach them with lanyards or whatever human weakness, foibles or straightforward shortcoming they display.

Love them in their incompetence. They do it well and with gusto.
Being perfect and in control is so last year. Look at our recent selection of senior politicians.

I break things and I'm going to stand up for that basic human right.

Last edited:
One of the situations in which a rider really needs to make an emergency call is: cycling along with phone in back pocket. Crash causes cyclist to land on his back, on a hard object in his back pocket. The phone is broken by the impact.
I have a jacket with a chest pocket and the phone usually lives there, never in back pocket.

Also, I'm reluctant to store valuables on the bike; in an accident, one easily becomes separated from one's steed.

(similar in a car crash - when I was cut out of one, I don't remember anyone checking the door pockets etc for my house keys! )

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Rider goes over handlebars , lands on their front and smashes phone in their chest pocket. The phone is now broken. I keep phone in my seat bag.

Top Bottom