Pizza Ovens ( outdoor )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Because with Oonis and Roccboxes both wood/pellets and gas can be used, then a taste comparison is possible.

Regrettably, there really isn't any difference in taste - both sources taste just great ^_^

SheilaH

Three ways to build an oven, all have advantages and disadvantages.

1) Build a clay cob oven. Dig the clay yourself (free), costs nothing to build actual oven. Disadvantages: takes a long time to cure, will crack, will need protection from elements. Won't last more than a few years.
2) Build a dome from firebricks. Looks amazing. Lasts as long as you want it to. Functionally superb. Can salvage bricks cheaply. Disadvantages: Needs some skill, will take a few days to build.
3) Buy a precast clay dome (I did) No need to build brick dome. Durable. Functional. Disadvantages: Costs quite a lot. Still have to insulate underneath and all around for heat retention (and weather protection.

All of these require you to build a base. I used hollow breezeblocks, drystacked, then filled with concrete and rebar, then rendered. Base top built with concrete lintel and paving slabs. Used calcium silicate board underneath base. Built a brick arch round oven door. Built a mesh dome filled with rockwool around dome, then rendered with limeplaster mixed with vermiculite. Took about 3 days. Cost about a grand including oven dome.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Three ways to build an oven, all have advantages and disadvantages.

1) Build a clay cob oven. Dig the clay yourself (free), costs nothing to build actual oven. Disadvantages: takes a long time to cure, will crack, will need protection from elements. Won't last more than a few years.
2) Build a dome from firebricks. Looks amazing. Lasts as long as you want it to. Functionally superb. Can salvage bricks cheaply. Disadvantages: Needs some skill, will take a few days to build.
3) Buy a precast clay dome (I did) No need to build brick dome. Durable. Functional. Disadvantages: Costs quite a lot. Still have to insulate underneath and all around for heat retention (and weather protection.

All of these require you to build a base. I used hollow breezeblocks, drystacked, then filled with concrete and rebar, then rendered. Base top built with concrete lintel and paving slabs. Used calcium silicate board underneath base. Built a brick arch round oven door. Built a mesh dome filled with rockwool around dome, then rendered with limeplaster mixed with vermiculite. Took about 3 days. Cost about a grand including oven dome.
i wont be building one.......but thanks for the run down on how it can be done

Randomnerd

Bimbleur

SheilaH

Singletrackworld seems to be the place for pizza oven using cyclists. It's a whole load of faff if you are just cooking for a few people, and quite environmentally damaging.

It's like anything. A whole load of faff when you are a novice, but you get more efficient as you get experienced. It is about the same level of faff as a barbecue I'd say., but much quicker cooking.

The main faff is making the dough, proving, shaping, re-proving, then shaping into pizza bases. Lighting the oven and tending is pretty easy. Cooking is quick and easy.

But...part of the fun is the theatre of makng the bases, then the drama of cooking with intense heat and licking flames. If you want easy, just pick up the phone and order a pizza.

SheilaH

Because with Oonis and Roccboxes both wood/pellets and gas can be used, then a taste comparison is possible.

Regrettably, there really isn't any difference in taste - both sources taste just great ^_^

I beg to differ on that. Wood makes a hell of a difference, especially type of wood. Apple, oak, cherry etc...all impart a flavour.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

It's like anything. A whole load of faff when you are a novice, but you get more efficient as you get experienced. It is about the same level of faff as a barbecue I'd say., but much quicker cooking.

The main faff is making the dough, proving, shaping, re-proving, then shaping into pizza bases. Lighting the oven and tending is pretty easy. Cooking is quick and easy.

But...part of the fun is the theatre of makng the bases, then the drama of cooking with intense heat and licking flames. If you want easy, just pick up the phone and order a pizza.
totally agree........

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
a pizza cooks pretty much the same in a domestic oven as a pizza oven, particularly if you use a pizza stone

The pizza doughs best suited to a domestic oven and a proper pizza oven respectively are different. You wouldn't put a supermarket pizza into an Ooni at 800F nor a dough intended for a real pizza oven into a domestic one at half the desired temperature.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
why do you believe that is the case??

Particulates.

It's the same as people having wood burning stoves for aesthetics - there are quite a few studies and most of the air borne particulates are from wood stoves, more then 3 or 4 times traffic. Fine if you need a wood burner for your heating. Pollution from them has got much worse in recent years.

Just seems a right waste to cook a couple of pizzas ! BBQ's are just as bad TBH, although you aren't burning wood.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Don’t know why I’m joining in. You are a bit rude. Can’t you just try to rise above the negative comments and take a breath?
A wood fired pizza oven can easily be made with fire bricks alone. You don’t have to be a waller or woodman. But it helps if you want a really good one!
Those metal ones are rubbish, unless you lay out a lot of dosh. They lose heat quickly.
Marketing.
A wood oven is designed to cook for a whole evening at various temperatures. Bread loaves, pizza, baked apples, pies, meats.
And they can be incredibly efficient, if you know what you’re doing. And if you have time. Probably not what you have, or not suitable for a domestic setting. Mine is in a woodland.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Particulates.

It's the same as people having wood burning stoves for aesthetics - there are quite a few studies and most of the air borne particulates are from wood stoves, more then 3 or 4 times traffic. Fine if you need a wood burner for your heating. Pollution from them has got much worse in recent years.

Just seems a right waste to cook a couple of pizzas ! BBQ's are just as bad TBH, although you aren't burning wood.
not as bad as what it takes to produce electric, diesel, petrol, gas etc etc though.......i'm sure burning wood for cooking was around a long time before those things and the world was a better, cleaner place

but thanks for your response and opinion...

Yes we use an Ooni Koda, upgraded from an Ooni II last year.

We use ours about 9 months of the year and on an odd occasion in Winter.

Our plan is to install a decent brick built one at home at some point as we use the Ooni because we take it with us camping.

So far we've only ever made pizza in ours, not ventured into other things so far as the pizza seems to be very well received:okay:

Top Bottom