Pizza Ovens ( outdoor )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Please can a moderator close this thread, so we can refrain from further abuse and opinions towards the poster and not actually answering the OP.......... i will refrain from further comment

@Moderators

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Personally, I'd also look at the environmental effects of having a pizza oven - I couldn't justify it given we'd cook two or three pizzas for a family of 4 adults. It's also why I got rid of our big BBQ. Unless OP plans on having lots of family round, how often will the oven actually be used properly ?

Our little cast Iron BBQ is more than adequate to cook for 4 adults, which in turn burns less than half what the big BBQ needed to cook for 4. My neighbour has a monsterous metal pipe outside is modern fully CH house, all for his log burner, which he burns all his building waste on. There is no need for a burner - our gas CH and cooking costs just £40 a month !

My opinion I know, but it's becoming a big issue with wood burning appliances, especially in clean air zones (like where I am).
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I must declare an interest in that I have a (highly efficient) wood burner that we do use as a heat source. I done use gas for my pizza oven though :smile:

SheilaH

That is the received wisdom, I agree.

Having had the opportunity to compare, it's not mine. I do wonder whether there's some placebo effect/confirmation bias at play, and that what's going on is that people making pizzas thus pay hugely more attention to the quality of the product, and the base in particular, than the average pizza-eater. I

Possibly. Taste is not an absolute, of that I'm sure, we all know that that first pint always tastes the best, so you may be right.

suppose residual ash from the sweeping may impart a flavour to the base, but if done properly, then a wood-fired pizza should have no smoke to affect it, for instance.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but once I put a loaf in to cook after a pizza session for which I had used particularly pungent oak. The bread had a really strong oak smoke flavour, almost like Islay whisky. I'd removed all the wood and swept the oven before putting the loaf in. In fact, I'd done all of that at least half an hour before the loaf went in. Weird, isn't it.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Possibly. Taste is not an absolute, of that I'm sure, we all know that that first pint always tastes the best, so you may be right.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but once I put a loaf in to cook after a pizza session for which I had used particularly pungent oak. The bread had a really strong oak smoke flavour, almost like Islay whisky. I'd removed all the wood and swept the oven before putting the loaf in. In fact, I'd done all of that at least half an hour before the loaf went in. Weird, isn't it.
Hold on, you and I have no place on this thread - what with us having a discussion about our different views in a civil manner and all that ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I must declare an interest in that I have a (highly efficient) wood burner that we do use as a heat source. I done use gas for my pizza oven though :smile:

Those that use them properly, no problems with. Pizza oven to cook a couple of pizzas is a right waste of resources. Yes fine if you are doing a load, no problems with that.

Trickedem

Guru
I've always wanted an outdoor oven. This was my lock down project last year.
I think the Pizzas are fantastic, but for an independent view @ianrauk will comment I am sure.

IMG_20200713_205320.jpg

IMG_20200914_191404.jpg

SheilaH

Personally, I'd also look at the environmental effects of having a pizza oven - I couldn't justify it given we'd cook two or three pizzas for a family of 4 adults. It's also why I got rid of our big BBQ. Unless OP plans on having lots of family round, how often will the oven actually be used properly ?

Our little cast Iron BBQ is more than adequate to cook for 4 adults, which in turn burns less than half what the big BBQ needed to cook for 4. My neighbour has a monsterous metal pipe outside is modern fully CH house, all for his log burner, which he burns all his building waste on. There is no need for a burner - our gas CH and cooking costs just £40 a month !

My opinion I know, but it's becoming a big issue with wood burning appliances, especially in clean air zones (like where I am).

https://www.mic.com/articles/91303/...ld-stop-using-your-charcoal-grill-immediately

Just saying...:whistle:

Pineapple on a pizza? I can hear a whole country crying..

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Not much yet. I am waiting for my son to complete the door he offered to make. I expect to use it a lot more this year.
i always have james martin envy when he sparks his up on a saturday morning for his show......love his set-up and garden space

Top Bottom