Pizza Ovens ( outdoor )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I beg to differ on that. Wood makes a hell of a difference, especially type of wood. Apple, oak, cherry etc...all impart a flavour.
That is the received wisdom, I agree.

Having had the opportunity to compare, it's not mine. I do wonder whether there's some placebo effect/confirmation bias at play, and that what's going on is that people making pizzas thus pay hugely more attention to the quality of the product, and the base in particular, than the average pizza-eater. I suppose residual ash from the sweeping may impart a flavour to the base, but if done properly, then a wood-fired pizza should have no smoke to affect it, for instance.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Don’t know why I’m joining in. You are a bit rude. Can’t you just try to rise above the negative comments and take a breath?
A wood fired pizza oven can easily be made with fire bricks alone. You don’t have to be a waller or woodman. But it helps if you want a really good one!
Those metal ones are rubbish, unless you lay out a lot of dosh. They lose heat quickly.
Marketing.
A wood oven is designed to cook for a whole evening at various temperatures. Bread loaves, pizza, baked apples, pies, meats.
And they can be incredibly efficient, if you know what you’re doing. And if you have time. Probably not what you have, or not suitable for a domestic setting. Mine is in a woodland.
i find people giving an opinion that wasn't asked for rude too.......but they seem to think they have a right too.

look i'm not looking for an argument, im just asking for people who have and use pizza ovens, "is it all they use it for", nothing more, nothing less

OP
OP
J

jowwy

LOL, no chance there, it's his MO, if you disagree with him on anything.

p.s. It's never his fault, it's always the other persons.
your not adding anything to this thread, please remove yourself.....you obviously have an issue with me and if that's the case, its best you put me on ignore and dont reply to my threads. Then you can live happily knowing you don't have to read my so called rude posts.......

T4tomo

Legendary Member
not as bad as what it takes to produce electric, diesel, petrol, gas etc etc though.......i'm sure burning wood for cooking was around a long time before those things and the world was a better, cleaner place

but thanks for your response and opinion...
absolutely, there was no smog in Victorian London when everyone relied on open fire for domestic heating :laugh::laugh:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
TBF that is mainly focused on the specific issues with wood burners used indoors, isn't it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBF that is mainly focused on the specific issues with wood burners used indoors, isn't it.

Personally, I'd also look at the environmental effects of having a pizza oven - I couldn't justify it given we'd cook two or three pizzas for a family of 4 adults. It's also why I got rid of our big BBQ. Unless OP plans on having lots of family round, how often will the oven actually be used properly ?

Our little cast Iron BBQ is more than adequate to cook for 4 adults, which in turn burns less than half what the big BBQ needed to cook for 4. My neighbour has a monsterous metal pipe outside is modern fully CH house, all for his log burner, which he burns all his building waste on. There is no need for a burner - our gas CH and cooking costs just £40 a month !

My opinion I know, but it's becoming a big issue with wood burning appliances, especially in clean air zones (like where I am).

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Personally, I'd also look at the environmental effects of having a pizza oven - I couldn't justify it given we'd cook two or three pizzas for a family of 4 adults. It's also why I got rid of our big BBQ. Unless OP plans on having lots of family round, how often will the oven actually be used properly ?

Our little cast Iron BBQ is more than adequate to cook for 4 adults, which in turn burns less than half what the big BBQ needed to cook for 4. My neighbour has a monsterous metal pipe outside is modern fully CH house, all for his log burner, which he burns all his building waste on. There is no need for a burner - our gas CH and cooking costs just £40 a month !

My opinion I know, but it's becoming a big issue with wood burning appliances, especially in clean air zones (like where I am).
but this thread isn't about Wood burning stoves for heating a house. its about pizza ovens, which either use dry aged wood ( clean) or environmentally friendly pellets......

again i wasn't asking for opinions an whether you think outdoor pizza ovens are good or environmentally friendly, i just wanted to know who uses them and what else for......

T4tomo

Legendary Member
fine if thats your opinion fossy....others may not share it with you. but i'm not using a wood burning stove inside my lounge to cook pizza or any other food.....
Its the act of burning wood and sending the fumes up into the atmosphere, be that via a WBS and flue pipe or a garden pizza over / fire pit etc. that is key.

Admittedly none of it is on the scale of cement factory..

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

What did you flame the first poster that offered an opinion then?
Because my OP if you read it, didn't ask for opinions of whether you like pizza ovens and what's your opinion of them....

i refrained from asking for opinions as to NOT create argument, i asked specific question of people who have them and how they use them.....

Top Bottom