Puncture, Puncture, Puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

I have re - pumped the tyre up at 4:45pm, and it is still pumped up how it was. I went for a test ride round the block and all seems fine. So that's about 5hrs it's been pumped up. What do you think. Should i still take it into halfords tommorow or just leave it?
If it was a slow puncture how long would it stay up for, untill it goes flat again?

DRM

Guru
How long is a piece of string, it could be flat in an hour, maybe soft overnight, I would learn to remove the wheels, then tyres, check the tyres for sharp things and how to patch a tube, then reassemble the lot, have a look for Park Tool and GCN how to’s on you tube.

Punctures are a funny one, when I first started commuting by bike 34 miles a day in my first year I had 50 so I started searching and trying different tyres eventually I found Rubino pros and now schwalbe pro ones worked best for me, I don’t want to jinx myself but I maybe get 1-2 a year now, although I no longer commute I still do pretty high annual mileage on terrible country roads, what I have done is lowered my tyre pressures loads and use thicker cheaper inner tubes

weareHKR

tubeless that is all :whistle:
Ha yes, my bad! I see the thread got sidetracked with someone else discussing slime tubes... :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
Punctures are a funny one, when I first started commuting by bike 34 miles a day in my first year I had 50 so I started searching and trying different tyres eventually I found Rubino pros and now schwalbe pro ones worked best for me, I don’t want to jinx myself but I maybe get 1-2 a year now, although I no longer commute I still do pretty high annual mileage on terrible country roads, what I have done is lowered my tyre pressures loads and use thicker cheaper inner tubes
The OP has a mountain bike - those might be road tyres?

I always seem to get punctures in 2s and 3s. I can go months without getting one then after fixing it I get another.
I really do check the tyre before refitting the tube but on occasions miss a tiny thorn such as now. I've finally fixed the puncture after 3 tries. That my record for one tiny thorn.:blush:

The OP has a mountain bike - those might be road tyres?

Nope my first commuter was a Halford BSO and then a Ridgeback storm hybrid come MTB then a Trek road bike, oh and then a 1980s steel turned into a single speed (that hurt) so i've been through a lot of combos of bike types and tyres. In all there forms Conti tyres have hands down been the worse for punctures, schwalbe the best.

Top Bottom