Putting one stone on top of another

Stone balancing is harmless fun

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
From a BBC story -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45146681

Basically, balancing stones on top of each other has become a "thing" and people go to beaches and mountains to do it. Some environmentalists say this is spoiling the environment and complain that scenic spots are being ruined.

I don't see what the fuss is about as wind, rain and tide will surely return things to normal over time but what say CCers? Is this an annoying fad or harmless pastime? Are you an avid stone balancer? Have you ever had your trip to a scenic spot ruined by some pebbles?

When they first appeared I thought they were great. It's a bit cliched now but hardly ruining the environment and probably an enjoyable way to while away time.

Currently happening here is painted stones left in random places for people to find. I've found about three now whilst out walking. Quite a delightful idea, brings a smile.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thought it was OKish when it started but like many things can become a blight on the countryside.
In the Algarve recently... on a flat area near the nature reserve people had been collecting stones to spell out names/messages. I had mixed feelings as I could sort of understand it but it was starting to affect to area.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think it matters not one jot. It's been going-on since I was a kid. So, some people get a small amount of joy from simply stacking a few stones. We'll soon have to stop them damming streams on beaches soon and catching tiny sea-animals in rock-pools.

The smallest of the Wainwrights has a small amphitheater-like area which was covered in such stone-piles.... it was quite magical, my kids loved-it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Those ones in the BBC article are rubbish. Do it properly or not at all.

20161224-013-768x513.jpg

http://gravityglue.com/about/

Fab Foodie

I blame it on stone henge, them people need to be nicked..buggers.

I can't see any harm in it to be honest.
Not just those at Stonehenge, there are other bloody stone-circles, standing-stones etc. all over some counties....
As for the junk that was left in Old Mother Shipton's cave, it's a disgrace despoiling the area lkie that.

Oh and throwing coins in fountains, WTF is all that littering about????

Fab Foodie

Would Wainwright himself be as captivated, I wonder? It's not a natural environment any more is it?
Seeing it was (IIRC) quarried in the first place, and the views are of man-made sheep farms with their stones-piled-on-top-of-one-another quaint walls what exactly is a natural environment anyway? I hardly see a small area where kids and maybe some adults have had a bit of fun on a walk is an eco-disaster. One might argue that the footpaths leading to the top of Mountains and Cairns to guide you when lost are hardly natural.

EDIT: As for Wainwright, of course he'd hate it, IIRC he was a grumpy git.
EDIT 2: The Chewing-gum I agree is just unpleasant.
EDIT 3: I'm ambivalent about locks on bridges.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I first saw this in NZ about 10 years ago. It seemed to have been done just to take a photo in front of it, with a nice backdrop. Can't see the harm in it. It's better than leaving litter or graffiti.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I read the original BBC article a day or two ago

Seems to me the Blue Planet guy is trying very hard to be offended by it. The vast majority will fall over in windy weather. As for people getting confused over these and waymarking cairns, that's just laughable and shows his ridiculous argument for what it is

Top Bottom