Putting one stone on top of another

Stone balancing is harmless fun

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Not just those at Stonehenge, there are other bloody stone-circles, standing-stones etc. all over some counties....
As for the junk that was left in Old Mother Shipton's cave, it's a disgrace despoiling the area lkie that.

Oh and throwing coins in fountains, WTF is all that littering about????

If i ever find myself living rough ill go sit in a fountain !! Coin it in

Tin Pot

Guru
From a BBC story -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45146681

Basically, balancing stones on top of each other has become a "thing" and people go to beaches and mountains to do it. Some environmentalists say this is spoiling the environment and complain that scenic spots are being ruined.

I don't see what the fuss is about as wind, rain and tide will surely return things to normal over time but what say CCers? Is this an annoying fad or harmless pastime? Are you an avid stone balancer? Have you ever had your trip to a scenic spot ruined by some pebbles?

“Leave nothing in your wake.”

Build your little tower, then take it down before you leave.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I don't do it on beaches, but I do it when decompressing from dives in quarries. It helps pass the time.
My regular dive buddy tends to just shake his head and let me get on with it. :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Would Wainwright himself be as captivated, I wonder? It's not a natural environment any more is it?
It's a long time since I read a Wainwright, but my memory is that he was quite fond of cairns and other landscape interventions, and drew them quite regularly.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Reminds me of this, which I came across in the woods today...

photo_2018-08-20_20-11-19.jpg

Have to say it brightened my day rather than otherwise.

Top Bottom