Putting one stone on top of another

Stone balancing is harmless fun

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fabbers, old bean....I hate to be the one who has to break it to you...….

…….but it's a bit wonky.
Like most things in life, it depends how you look at it....

95F5C832-190F-4A9A-99E3-82C1CE97F97C.jpeg

Perfect!

I believe fix the fells in the lakes spends a lot of wasted time taking stones balanced on other stones away. They're called cairns and it used to be a stupid tradition among walkers that you had to put another rock on every cairn to passed.

Now the view is they're a problem and potential danger to walkers by their constant springing up after being removed.

BTW some cairns do mark locations and are a traditional navigation tool (although locals really don't need them). A lot are started by people who don't have good navigational skills and believe the location of their new cairn helps others navigate. A whole string of them crossing a wide open fell can just reinforce a wrong direction in bad weather.

However not all stone piles are the same. Whilst I care not one jot about the "artistic" form of stone piling it can be arrogant to do it on places of beauty like Lakeland fells.

However that former quarry that was mentioned earlier for its stone piling is a bit of a dump IMHO. Who cares if ppl make it worse.

BTW they aren't strictly stone piles on there like cairns aren't They're more stone balancing like stone henges (also not really stone balancing as in multiple stones balanced one on top of the other).

IMHO they look more like gravestones on that quarry hill. There's probably photographs of me laid out as dead with one at my head somewhere in the photo albums of waking friends.

If these bother you what's your view on the gnome garden in wastwater? It caused diving accidents from people wanting to see it. So the police removed it only for it to return just below the maximum depth of police divers (IIRC is Lancashire constabulary divers because the Cumbrian force doesn't have the budget for their own). It can be dangerous enticing inexperienced divers down to see it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sorry, but that "platter" at the base is just so wrong.
....so critical.....

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There is the possibility of too much of what as an occasional quirk is charming, becoming just exasperating though.
While I quite like the stone piles I've seen, you have a good point ... dunno if it's a particularly British thing, but a nice idea tends to get done to death ... prosecco is a good example ... a nice(ish) wine, which can be (at least in Italy) sparkling, semi-sparkling or still. It took off so much in the UK that we now import one quarter of all Italian production ... and shops sell cr@p like prosecco soap, prosecco shampoo, etc ... irksome, irritating and yes, exasperating.

Top Bottom