Recommend me a van (?) / Estate for cycle transport for £10k….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
156000 miles and still 8.5k…

….and still be a while finding a buyer imo. Wouldn’t be for me. As above - engine aside it’s every part of that car that’s done 156k…

Typifies modern motoring prices though. £10k in general for a decent marque barely gets you less than 10 years old and under 60k. Frightening in some ways ! Good news from that is my outgoing car will tag onto these high prices being low miles / high spec.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Cheers.

On build, reviews, engine, spec and looks (Likely in just that order….) the Volvo is grabbing me right now…

Found a few cracking 2.4 D5 XC70’s with 40-65k on the clock / 2011-2013 years: for between 10 and 13k depending on model / spec etc. They are fairly few and far between; but are out there. Likely living in Suffolk I’d have to travel whatever.

I can use a work vehicle if I’m in between cars. So will likely service / MOT mine and plan to get it gone as soon as the good weather starts and people are looking for some top-down motoring.

Cheers for your thoughts 🙏

If you're a buyer, get over to Volvoforums and do your research. Again, to repeat, don't be fixated by miles with XC70s - history and condition is all. If you want a trusted Trade seller (who will source you a car too, if you want) speak to Graham at Horton Cars over near me. He's sometimes a little pricey, but he doesn't sell carp, and he stands behind his cars when necessary.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/retailer/757262?advanced=true&advertising-location=at_cars&advertising-location=at_profile_cars&dealer=757262&make=Volvo&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1&sort=price-asc&model=XC70

BTW XC60 may also be worth a look?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That's nothing to a diesel.

My last 4-5 cars have all done well over 200K, and it wasn't engine issues that made me get rid of them then.

Having said which, prices for 2nd hand cars seem to have risen quite steeply in the last few years. I bought my current Insignia estate in 2019, when it was 4 years old with 65K on the clock, for £8300.

It might not be but it’s still an enormous number of miles for any car in my view especially for that amount of money. I wonder if it stinks when behind on a bike like most diesels do, yuk!

It’s got really ugly seats too which will be well worn most likely! A car isn’t just the engine

My Fabia is 10 years old, 35k miles :smile:

Alex321

Veteran
It might not be but it’s still an enormous number of miles for any car in my view especially for that amount of money.
It’s got really ugly seats too!
My Fabia is 10 years old, 35k miles :smile:

For about 7 years (2007 - 2014) I was working 70 miles from home, and commuting daily. Which meant about 40K miles per year just on the commute.

When doing that sort of mileage, you fairly quickly realise how many miles modern cars can do, and become much less bothered about what any car has done. I have bought cars with over 100K on the clock, and put more than another 100K into them myself.

vickster

Legendary Member
For about 7 years (2007 - 2014) I was working 70 miles from home, and commuting daily. Which meant about 40K miles per year just on the commute.

When doing that sort of mileage, you fairly quickly realise how many miles modern cars can do, and become much less bothered about what any car has done. I have bought cars with over 100K on the clock, and put more than another 100K into them myself.

Better to have an electric car rather than belching out all that pollution surely :smile:

Used cars are stupidly priced because new cars are even more stupidly priced nowadys!

Drago

Legendary Member
Better to have an electric car rather than belching out all that pollution surely :smile:
I have one of those as well so I can be either devilish or saintly, depending on who I fancy upsetting that day.

Drago

Legendary Member
Better for suspension, steering and transmission on the motorway, engines wear best with a varying load and speed so more mixed use is is favourable for them.

It's not the mileage - I took a Peugeot to 303,000 miles and it happily obliged- its the fact that an owner, or possibly multiple owners has abused them, and the higher the miles the more potential abuse, the more servicing is likely to be skimped or done on the cheap, etc. You've only got to see how many cars get cheap or budget tyres at the first or second change to see how quickly this process can begin.

You're buying the history as much as the car itself, that's why the only high milers I've ever bought belonged to people I know.

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
I wouldn't consider buying anything like that either. I've never bought a car with over 50k miles

I've never bought a car with less than 50k miles, never had any duffers yet, best was VW Golf diesel estate, bought in 2006 at eight years old with 80k on the clock and replaced at 20 years old with 186k on the clock, never broke down in all that time.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never bought a car with less than 50k miles, never had any duffers yet, best was VW Golf diesel estate, bought in 2006 at eight years old with 80k on the clock and replaced at 20 years old with 186k on the clock, never broke down in all that time.

Bet they don’t make them like they did last century though :whistle:

Top Bottom