Recommend me a van (?) / Estate for cycle transport for £10k….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Re vans. Check your local tip. Our local tip restricts commercial vehicles. My son needed an exemption cert and was only allowed 12 visits per Yr with his van.

Reactions: DRM

Alex321

Veteran
Better to have an electric car rather than belching out all that pollution surely :smile:

Used cars are stupidly priced because new cars are even more stupidly priced nowadys!

It will be a few years yet before 2nd hand electric cars are available at the sort of price I'm willing to pay for a car. I've never paid as much as £10K for one.

And they really weren't available at all in any significant numbers during that period.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
For a van, what about one with bike carrying bits already fitted - @JhnBssll may be open to a deal :laugh:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/van-projects.275213/

As an alternative to the Volvo for an estate, what about a Mazda 6? Just drop the back seats and a large 29er will slide in without needing to take the wheels off.

Interesting. And sounds great. I’ve got an MX5 now. It’s been utterly fantastic - so a Mazda or something Japanese might be great ! I did look at them earlier if I’m honest 😎

Seevio

Guru
Probably not relevant but you can get a bass amp and cab, a full PA including active monitors and bass bins, a full acoustic drum kit, 2 basses, lights and a carpet into the back of a berlingo van. And as its technically a 3 seater, you can get a drummer and a singer in the passenger seats.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Probably not relevant but you can get a bass amp and cab, a full PA including active monitors and bass bins, a full acoustic drum kit, 2 basses, lights and a carpet into the back of a berlingo van. And as its technically a 3 seater, you can get a drummer and a singer in the passenger seats.

Absolutely brilliant !! Next time I wake up needing a small van: and have an uncontrollable urge to start a rock band - I already feel like I’m halfway there 🤩

***Take it the groupies have their own transport ?

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
How about a e class 3.0cdi / BMW 530d Audi / A6.

You get a lot of car 10k??

I did look at a few BM’s last night. So many at that price with high miles. And having never owned one I’m not very knowledgable. My fathers had a few Mercs….so I’m quite familiar with their foibles, servicing costs etc. But yea; good idea !

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I used to have a Mondeo Estate. My bike went in the back complete. Then someone pulled out on me and wrote it off, so I got a Focus. Bick still fitted in the back with the front tyre off. Now I have an Insignia Estate and still take the front wheel off, although I think it would fit if I wasn't 6'3" and have the seat nearly all the way back.
I have fitted my bike in a Corsa with both wheels removed.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
How about a e class 3.0cdi / BMW 530d Audi / A6.

You get a lot of car 10k??

all have very sloping back windows so your full height boot space is more limited, and total boot capacity lower than a more square back of a Volvo (or skoda octavia) Its not a issue if you a throwing one bike in on its side.

if you have 2 or 3 to fit in or other luggage passengers etc, the best way is front wheel out and seat post removed (not before marking insert point with insulation tape) and pop them up upside-down side by side top to toe. You can do 2 (road bikes) like this with just 40% or 60% of rear seat folded down., and bungee cord then to anchor points/ grab handles and stock the front wheels alongside.

^^ with this technique the extra length of boot height is useful.

DRM

Guru
They are a bit meh, but as a bike carrier/mini camper they are very good. Loads about and cheap to fix.

Be aware a van may land you into congestion charging tax if you use it, where a car wouldn't.
This, lots of areas will charge you to go into them with a van if it's not Euro 6 Compliant, so you then have to put Ad-Blue in too with diesel engined vans, and another thing is the speed limits for a van are lower than a car, for example on a National Speed limit A road it's 50 Mph on the single carriage Way, 60 Mph on Dual Carriage Way, 70 Mph on Motorways, lower limits are applicable as posted.
You may be ok with that, but it might be a deal breaker, and the camera vans now like sitting on the bridges above A roads to catch speeders.

Top Bottom