replica jersey snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I personally would give the leaders/KOTM/World Champ stuff a miss, just wouldn't feel right.

I would feel very self-conscious wearing any of the above. Image wearing a yellow jersey when some scrote on a BSO passes you at speed :blush:

Of course I do have a Fridays jersey though :thumbsup:

rsvdaz

Providing you're not on a carbon frame, running sram red and 3 stone overweight with your ar$e cheeks hanging in the back wheel you should be ok.
I wish I was still at an age when I bothered about what people thought! Wear it and enjoy your riding.

oops..thats me busted
blush.gif

I was also actually thinking of getting a king of the mountain top as well.....to be ironic of course
biggrin.gif

mhk1058

Regular
I would feel very self-conscious wearing any of the above. Image wearing a yellow jersey when some scrote on a BSO passes you at speed :blush:

Of course I do have a Fridays jersey though :thumbsup:

Funny you should say that, the day I stopped wearing my Discovery jersey was the day a guy covered in mud passed me up a hill on his mountain bike. (he was 20 years younger than me and it had been a long ride)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
as the Velominati say in their rules

Rule #16
Respect the jersey.

Championship and race leader jerseys must only be worn if you’ve won the championship or led the race.

Rule #17
Team kit is for members of the team.

Wearing Pro team kit is also questionable if you’re not paid to wear it. If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.

But rules are made to be broken

mhk1058

Regular
as the Velominati say in their rules

Rule #16
Respect the jersey.

Championship and race leader jerseys must only be worn if you’ve won the championship or led the race.

Rule #17
Team kit is for members of the team.

Wearing Pro team kit is also questionable if you’re not paid to wear it. If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.

But rules are made to be broken

I guess these are race rules though, that apply during a race. Can't see that they apply tootling along Swansea bay cycle path.

Half way house, one of these, doesn't look like an accident in a paint shop and it's on offer.

Jezston

Über Member
I was always a bit funny about people wearing replica team kit or whatnot, I didn't really get it, same with wearing football shirts and such like. Wearing a yellow jersey being particularly ridiculous - wearing team kit I can get because you 'support' that team (although I never understood 'supporting' a particular TdF team as they have no links to any particular region, unless I guess you are a fan of their sponsors products?) but wearing a yellow jersey or whatnot would be like a football fan walking around carrying a replica world cup or wearing a medal or something!

But then...

... I saw this jersey in a shop, on sale, under £40

11262_1_z1.jpg

It looks nice, and it fit me perfectly.

Oh dear ;)

I think I might have to stencil on "World Champion - of NOTHING" around the stripes if I start getting deserved sneers. Oh and maybe a "F*ck the" above the UCI logos ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's something quite satisfying about burning up roadies in the full kit of choice at the moment SKY. If you are going to wear the full kit then try to make an effort at least. Don't just give up without a fight.
biggrin.gif

mhk1058

Regular
Oh no! They apply all the time!

The Rules!

:laugh: ahhh..... THE rules, of course.

Jonathing

Über Member
Always be mindful of the rules. But a greater man than I once said "rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of fools."

I wear a Team Sky winter jacket upon occasion, chiefly because it's the best quality jacket I could find at the price I wanted to pay. I wouldn't wear full team kit though, that's a bit too much like wanting to be in the team while I struggle over the south downs on my carrera. As for champions jerseys and their ilk, yeah, leave them for those who've earned them. Apart from the KoM jersey I have at my parents to wear when I'm riding out in the Cambridgeshire fens...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Saw a guy tonight in the mid blue and strong pink colours, was it Lampre?, anyway he actually looked the part, had the physique and was fair tooling along, quite impressive.

I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I liked the look of the BMC kit and they were doing their 'el-cheapo' version for about £50 for the shorts/jersey so I took a punt. Anyway, to cut a long story short, it never turned up and when I complained, they sent me out the full Hincapie version, and the quality of it just blows away all the other shorts/jerseys I have.

I don't feel self conscious about wearing it any more, and would definitely buy more when the need arises.

Don't think I would go too extreme with the colours though :smile:

VamP

Banned
I wear this, some of the time. It feels OK as it's not current anymore, and I haven't seen anyone else out wearing it. Also I like the design (a lot) and ride a Bianchi. It is also extremely good quality for the price.

Best of all, when suffering on a long hilly ride, I can get extra power by chanting ''I am Ulrich, I am Ulrich'' to myself. :biggrin:

Top Bottom