Ribble cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was looking at that, I've never seen one cheaper. The price of electronic shift systems is bound to plummet after the manufacturers recoup their R&D costs and gradually up production. Mechanical brifters were out of most people's reach for the first few years now only BSOs come without them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I mean carbon moulds that are 7-8 years out of date,old technology!
It may be old tech. but that doesn't necessarily mean it is bad!

My Cannondale CAAD 5 with its 10 speed Chorus groupset is very old tech, but it is still a fine bike.

shadow master

failing to see how a shape that's 8 years old is out of date.
Bikes have barely changed shape for a century, and carbon is still changing and evolving.
The Ribble winter frame is still the same shape it was 12 years ago, and that's why I bought another one!
???I think you've just answered your own question....."carbon is still changing and evolving"but something 8 years old cant be out of date??you think frame shapes haven't changed in a century!what colours the sky in your world?modern headstock's are huge on up to date carbon frames,bottom bracket shells are bigger,wider,in modern carbon bikes,flax fibres for dampening,dual chamber for strength,internal cable routing, full carbon dropouts,lifetime guaratee,etc...I could go on forever!

shadow master

It may be old tech. but that doesn't necessarily mean it is bad!

My Cannondale CAAD 5 with its 10 speed Chorus groupset is very old tech, but it is still a fine bike.
But that's aluminium?The leaps in carbon and aluminium production in the last 5 years are not really comparable,and plus your caad5 was cutting edge technology at the time....not a 8 year old design

shadow master

???I think you've just answered your own question....."carbon is still changing and evolving"but something 8 years old cant be out of date??you think frame shapes haven't changed in a century!what colours the sky in your world?modern headstock's are huge on up to date carbon frames,bottom bracket shells are bigger,wider,in modern carbon bikes,flax fibres for dampening,dual chamber for strength,internal cable routing, full carbon dropouts,lifetime guaratee,etc...I could go on forever!
failing to see how a shape that's 8 years old is out of date.
Bikes have barely changed shape for a century, and carbon is still changing and evolving.
The Ribble winter frame is still the same shape it was 12 years ago, and that's why I bought another one!
Well of course the bike is the same as 12 years ago its the same mould!!but now the production cost is less than one dollar!

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm vaguely curious why you think the age of a design has any bearing over its quality. Manufacturers don't make radical changes regularly as the bicycle frame is a conservative and simple thing (unless you're Mike Burrows or Graeme Obree).

Ribble have found a winning design with the Gran Fondo (and their winter frame, which wouldn't have looked out of place 30 years ago and certainly isn't moulded), so why hack about changing it? It's not like it's going to be ridden in the pro peloton, where chat about the latest aero improvements or whatever is largely marketing gubbins designed to flog expensive bikes to the easily impressed.

Top Bottom