running red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
No

Buddfox

Veteran
Sometimes. My commute home is often at 2am / 3am in the morning, when the streets are quiet and, on occasion, there are red lights on cycle where it just doesn't make sense to stop.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I come to Albert Gate on the west end of London's Battersea park every day. There are traffic lights, but it is a very quiet junction. I have never seen any cyclist stop on red in the last two years. I guess I'm in a bit of a minority, and "well un-cool".:angry:

Alan Whicker

Sometimes. At Hackney Wick there's a set of lights under the flyover where I see cars fly through red all the time. I never stop there 'cos I've no wish to be a BMW's bonnet mascot. I'd never jump a pedestrian crossing.

martint235

Dog on a bike
No.

I'm definitely an exception on my commute though. Vast majority of cyclists go straight through then a significant minority ignore the stop line completely, usually pulling up in front of me just to give me something else to be aware of once the light goes green.

I just don't understand the logic for either apart from selfishness and impatience. Surely if you're concerned about your safety with regards to a vehicle running into the back of you, the safest place to be is behind that vehicle rather than in front of it........

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have one set of lights where I need a car to pull up behind me, gets frustrating waiting when it is empty.

On occasion at this junction I have been known to ride 15ft on the pavement, just so I do not RLJ, pavement scum is a little better than RLJ scum.

This time last year when I firsted started cycling to work I used to jump some of them, caused me much more aggro than it saved me time, I had someone try and take me out due to RLJ, who then shat himself when he realised I was about to catch him, darted off a side road with me still chasing, nigh on nearly gave me a heart attack trying to catch the fecker.

Anyway confession over, I realised even when you can do it "safely" it is not sensible. I have been known to shout at a pedistrian walking up to a set of ped lights "no wait for me!"

Top Bottom