Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
The best thing if you are serious about running is to join an athletic or running club where you will have a group of other runners to train and race with and you will be able to get proper coaching advice etc. At this time of year the runners will be getting ready for the cross country season. You have league races and various area championships and still a few road races. With running it is best to build up slowly increasing your mileage over the weeks and putting in elements of speed work which might be 20 x 200, 8 x 800, or 4 x 1200 or a combination plus hill repetitions, fartlek runs which is longish 8, 10 or 15 mile runs with bursts of speed and efforts up hills of varying distances. You will need to do one or two speed sessions a week.
Instead of going for half marathon why not go for 5k, 5 mile, 10k or 10 mile. A 10 mile in under an hour is a good time to aim for fit cycling types.
Running is a good way for bike riders to keep fit especially in the winter.
Check Athletics Weekly website for lists of athletics clubs, events, results etc.

jasper

Once you've got a bit of running under your belt, you'll need to start doing brick sessions. Go for a ride, start with a distance your comfortable with (about 10 miles) but go at race pace. Then as soon as you've finished go for a run. You'll have jelly legs at first but there's no other way if you want to do triathlon. Then build distance from that. You'll also need to do brick sessions from swim to bike at some stage also.

I don't do tri's as my swimming isn't strong enough to be competive so I compete in Duathlon (run/bike/run). Buy 220 Mag, it's probably the best out there (in my opinion):

http://www.220magazine.com/

They have some good training & equipment write ups. Here's a beginner's one from the website:

http://www.220magazine.com/220Triathlon_Beginners_Guide.pdf

They also have a forum:

http://forum.220magazine.com/

And join your local Tri club.

Another site to keep an eye on:

http://www.britishtriathlon.org/

OP
OP
J

johnny

Stig-OT-Dump said:
You haven't said why there is a 6 week break in your training, but you don't need much kit to get out for a run. Are you able to do any weight training? Take the stairs instead of a lift? Do a bit of brisk walking? If you look at things the right way, I'm sure you'll be able to fit the training in (although I'm sure elevating your heartbeat by looking at smutty mags or vids doesn't count, unfortunately)

Stig, I am sailing around britain (set off this afternoon and going anti clockwise)! Which is pretty darn cool in my book but means that running will be limited by time on land and the need to sleep.

Jasper, thanks for the advice. I have already started thinking about brick session for the cycle/run and also about mixing the swim with a cycle. Oh and discovered 220. I thought their beginnners guide was pretty good.

Ludwig, i am looking into joining a local tri/running club, just want to get my running to the point where I am at a reasonable level of fitness first.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Being unable to swim, I remain a frustrated triathlete but compensate by doing duathlons and I have one coming up in October. I've always been a runner until my recent conversion to cycling but I reckon I'll also maintain the running on the side. It's certainly a lot, lot better (IMHO) in the dim and dismal winter nights than being on a bike.

OP
OP
J

johnny

Running is coming on a treat at the moment. Feels so much easier and my pace seems a lot lot quicker.

Just gotta get into that pool regularly now.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Well, I'm already crocked after 12 weeks :biggrin:

Tendonitis in my right foot...off to see the podiatrist next week. It might be because my orthotics are too strong so hopefully will be back in action after a bit of rest.

jay clock

Massive member
I have been through all this over the past 3 years. Always done a bit of cycling and got more and more, then in 2005 started swimming (alone) then at the end of 2006 started running. I joined a tri club in Jan 2007

For running I can strongly recommend this site for the Couch to 5K programme. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml - it is the basic run walk run, aiming at 25 mins work out. The trick is not to feel like a wuss for doing the walking bit. In Oct 2006 I was worrying about the week I had to run for 20 mins non stop. Today I did 13km which was beyond my dreams 2 years ago

Swimming - joining the club has been the best thing for me. I should have done it sooner as I just forced my way up and down the pool until I could do a mile. Then I have had to relearn technique.

The best forum is www.tritalk.co.uk/forums - you will find a Jay Clock there too......

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've just started doing a bit of running, the idea is it'll help when I start playing at cyclocross in a month or so (assuming I get that damn bike together by then). It's harder than it looks.

Still, got some useful pointers here.

Bodhbh

Guru
I've been tempted to gradually up out the bi-weekly walk back from work to a run (not done any running since school X-country runs). It would be around 5 miles. Only thing - best route imo would be via a pitch black cycle path.

Runners generally use some sort of headtorch for night running? I don't ever recall seeing one with one (just got some AyUps, could get a headband for them or use a Petzl).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Bodhbh said:
Runners generally use some sort of headtorch for night running? I don't ever recall seeing one with one (just got some AyUps, could get a headband for them or use a Petzl).

I've been wondering the same thing, evenings are the only time I'm going to get for running. I might get myself a headtorch at the weekend, I could use one anyway.

I use a head torch and have an arm band with a red light to make me more visible from behind. A quick search on wiggle or a trip to a running shop should sort you out. To be honest, pitch black isn't normally really pitch black. I normally use the head torch to be seen rather than to see.

OP
OP
J

johnny

Now it seems to be getting a bit colder I've started wearing my gilet when running in the eve's. Has some hi vis stuff on it so hopefully someone elses lights will pick it up. Also have a small light weight head torch too.

First Tri tomorrow, wish me luck!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I haven't got any running gear really, except for the shoes it's all cyclewear. I've got some old baggy padded shorts I no longer use for cycling, old MTB type short-sleeve t-shirts, my beanie, cycling socks. I even used my arm-warmers last week.

Top Bottom