Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shooter560

I don't think running or in my case starting to run is hampering my riding in fact I'd say its helping things, since starting to run I have found I feel stronger and faster on the bike. Also completed my first 5km race tonight, 6 weeks after starting to run (last time I ran I was at school, 25+ years ago) and managed it in just under 23:30mins

Plax

Guru
Just went for a run myself. Was a runner before I became a cyclist. Didn't do very good, only managed 5 mins 28 secs today before I developed a stitch. I'm using the excuse that I did cycle over 17 miles today.... My legs were totally fine, it's my legs that usually give way first, not developing a stitch after a poxy 5 mins. Hey ho, I'll just have to give it another go at some point :wacko:.

OP
OP
J

johnny

shooter560 said:
I don't think running or in my case starting to run is hampering my riding in fact I'd say its helping things, since starting to run I have found I feel stronger and faster on the bike.

I'll second that, seem to be much stronger on the bike especially on the hills.

PrettyboyTim

I went for the first run I've had in over four years yesterday - I ran along the seaside at Bournemouth along with my Wife, who runs quite a lot. Much to my astonishment I actually did quite well - before when I'd cycled I normally found myself exhausted rather than having problems with my legs whereas yesterday cardio-wise I was fine and didn't find myself out of breath or suffering from a stitch. We did about 6km but my legs were getting pretty painful at the end. I'm pretty stiff today!

Anyway, I may have to do it again. It was fun.

alecstilleyedye said:
are you calling fm a ladyboy? :tongue:

'mare' as in short for 'nightmare'. Missed an apostrophe out. I'm sure he'd make a great woman though.

OP
OP
J

johnny

7.5kms in 37mins running....I am pretty chuffed. Now I have 6 weeks of no cycling ahead of me and only sporadic running.....whats that going to do to my fitness?

Oh also started sea swimming as part of the tri training, my cousin who is a good decade younger than me has been joining me....it hurts.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I do realise that this is nothing but I'm ever so slowly being able to run again after my broken leg in JANUARY!! Managed 25 mins in two installments on the treadmill today and nearly cried with excitement. Fitness is fine, it's just a bit delicate still. I'm so excited though!! I'm honestly grateful how quickly I've healed and that I've been cycling since March but I'm longing to run again, so it was a really great moment!!!

Paris marathon anyone??

OP
OP
J

johnny

Cathryn said:
I do realise that this is nothing but I'm ever so slowly being able to run again after my broken leg in JANUARY!!

Rebuilding yourself up from any major trauma is always something! Good effort for keeping at it and hope that you get back to where you want to be.

johnny said:
7.5kms in 37mins running....I am pretty chuffed..

Johnny - at that pace you are doing a sub 50 minute 10K. Excellent stuff. The improvements will just keep coming.

You haven't said why there is a 6 week break in your training, but you don't need much kit to get out for a run. Are you able to do any weight training? Take the stairs instead of a lift? Do a bit of brisk walking? If you look at things the right way, I'm sure you'll be able to fit the training in (although I'm sure elevating your heartbeat by looking at smutty mags or vids doesn't count, unfortunately)

Top Bottom