Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
i started running a few months a go with the idea of getting back into tri and some marathon mountainbike racing. i too had to walk/run mix to start but soon got over that. i find a run for about 15 mins then do some stretching, then put in about 15mins of interval session. a hard push then a recovery for 15 mins. it is vital you stretch when you return to avoid stiffness kicking in.
running uses many different muscles and the cardio vascular work out is far more intense than cycling. the only option is to take it slowly and rest days are very important.

Fartlek traing (no laughing at the back, please! :sad:) is a very effective way to build up your running stamina and strength:

http://www.realbuzz.com/en-gb/Speed_play/index?pageID=116

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Fartlek running makes things more fun as well - the former Mr.Baggy was a great runner and used this method.

Have just mapped out the route I used to go on my long runs in London and it comes out at 10 miles :wacko: xx( I thought it was more like 7 miles as had never measured it before.

If I could get back up to that level would be very pleased. Mind you, if my arch hadn't collapsed I'd never have started cycling again...

Have stretched thoroughly this evening - found a stile near home that's the perfect height for hamstring stretches!

RedBike

Thanks to this fartlek i'm having to take a break from running already (only been at it 3 weeks).

I jogged for 2/3mins, ran for a little bit (200yrds or so), jogged for 4/5min than ran a little bit again; and so on for about 25 minutes.

Today I feel like i've got a bruised backside; I can hardly walk. I knew I should of kept on with the jog walk instead of doing jogging for 20mins continuously.

I seem to have the fitness from cycling but my body just isn't used to running yet.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Ouch! One tip I was given before is never to increase by more than a mile (or about ten minutes) a week - you probably ran an extra two miles!

I'm sticking with the jog/walk stuff until I get to my 30 minute running target - about 10 weeks away on my schedule, which I've adapted from the Runner's World begginers training plan.

At the point I'm consistently running for 30 mins might think about fartlek stuff...but will see how bothered I feel about improving my speed etc (probably not!).

Agree that having the fitness from cycling it's always going to be tempting to try too much too soon, but it does take a long time (for me anyway) for your joints and ligaments etc to condition themselves. I feel as if I could run further but rein myself in by thinking about my poor collapsed arch - I don't want it to get worse! There are also plenty of hills near me that encourage walking....

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Since I have to pick up my bike from its servicing tomorrow evening, I am going to get up a bit earlier and run the 9 miles into work tomorrow. My wife thinks I am mad. :biggrin:

OP
OP
J

johnny

Sticking with thirty minutes until it becomes comfortable then starting to increase. Alreading noticing that i am a wee bit quicker each time and I was told that the distance should start to increase naturally(rather like cycling).

OP
OP
J

johnny

Really enjoyed my run this morning (nice and sunny, birds twittering, heavy dew on the ground, lots of cobwebs glistening) and was all good until someone passed me on the homewards stretch on a road bike and I suddenly thought how nice it would be to be cycling instead......

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Stig-OT-Dump said:
The distance comes pretty quick. I went from nothing to a 1/2 marathon in 10 weeks . And not a shoddy time either...

It does depend very much on your age, physical condition and natural abilities though... that wouldn't be true for everyone.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Indeed. Even when I was at my lightest I was not really the right build for a runner, so am hoping to be running 3-4 miles in about 10 weeks. My walk/jog felt easier today so it feels like progress.

I've been running since Jan this year, but on a treadmill, not on the road. Interspersing it with cycling gave me ITB problems, which is a common thing in triathletes, apparently. I went to see a podiatrist, among other things, who, when he looked at my gait, told me that on no account should I ever run outside, or on an uneven surface. Apparently I'm not built for running and shouldn't do it at all! Oh well, there's my international triathlon career round the u-bend then....

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i too am hoping to do a (sprint) tri next year. i've started running (as in bought some asics trainers and taken them to work) at lunchtime, although none since the tour de france (watching it online) and as i'm doing a cycling event later this week i didn't want to build up muscles that will be more weight to haul up the climbs.

once that's out of the way, i'll carry on with my 15min sessions with 2 minutes of jogging then 30 seconds of walking.

the swimming is what i'm dreading…

Top Bottom