sausages and mash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

ChrisKH said:
What is it people have against Jamie Oliver? Is it the Essex accent that grinds one down in addition to being rich, successful, passionate, enthusiastic, lovely wife and caring about what kids eat?

I can't stand the bloke. I hated the shallow fakeness of "The Naked Chef" with the mockney accent, fake apartment and fake friends.

But what I really really hate is the brilliant stuff he's done with school meals, health and animal welfare. As a result, I am no longer justified in hating in him. And I really hate him for that.

U

User482

I struggling to understand how any non-vegetarian could not like sausage and mash. I like a poncy meal in a poncy restaurant as much as anyone, but I love the old favourites - roast beef, toad in the hole, sausage & mash. Top stuff.

Arch

Married to Night Train
col said:
Oh yes,i love them all,but the full scottish? not sure about haggis,iv never tried it,but that one is my favourite:tongue:

Had haggis last night (with two sorts of mash, potato and swede). Mmm, lovely. An early Burns Supper, as some of my mates were busy tonight.

You should try haggis Col, you can get it in Sainsburys. Basically, it's minced up lamb (OK, lamb offal, but minced, so you really can't tell, if that puts you off) and oats and herbs, and you boil or bake or microwave it, and it comes out a bit like mince would if it didn't have gravy around it, and has a peppery sort of flavour. Add some nice creamy mash and yum....

Proper haggis is wrapped in sheep stomach, but the supermarket ones are basically in a plastic boil in the bag type wrapper... A friend of mine says that a haggis is basically a sheep, minced and turned inside out...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
A friend of mine says that a haggis is basically a sheep, minced and turned inside out...

Oh, thanks for that. Fantastic mental image for me to be dealing with there.:biggrin:
I once made the mistake of having haggis as part of a fried breakfast. I could still taste it that evening.:smile:

I've yet to have a sausage I didn't like - other than black pudding and andouillette (both of which are completely horrid and count as biological weaponry IMHO). Sausages + garlic mash = brilliant. Fact.

col

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Had haggis last night (with two sorts of mash, potato and swede). Mmm, lovely. An early Burns Supper, as some of my mates were busy tonight.

You should try haggis Col, you can get it in Sainsburys. Basically, it's minced up lamb (OK, lamb offal, but minced, so you really can't tell, if that puts you off) and oats and herbs, and you boil or bake or microwave it, and it comes out a bit like mince would if it didn't have gravy around it, and has a peppery sort of flavour. Add some nice creamy mash and yum....

Proper haggis is wrapped in sheep stomach, but the supermarket ones are basically in a plastic boil in the bag type wrapper... A friend of mine says that a haggis is basically a sheep, minced and turned inside out...

Ill have to give it a try,im very curious now:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I microwaved ours last night, and it was a bit drier than when I've boiled it (I guess a little of the steam/water gets in? But with nice creamy mash, that doesn't matter too much.

I like haggis, especially as part of a proper scottish breakfast. Unfortunately, whenever I eat it it gives me terrible wind. Oooh matron...!

So I tend to avoid it :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
Abitrary said:
No. But I'm actually a bit down by the fact they know who deliver to purely from the time of the call... I feel like rainman now

I regret to say our local chinese just say '£11.40 please' when I come in because they know what I have and that I won't be changing:-

2 x pancake rolls
1 x sweet & sour pork Hong Kong style
1 x special Chow mein
1 x boiled rice

radger

Veteran
User482 said:
I struggling to understand how any non-vegetarian could not like sausage and mash. I like a poncy meal in a poncy restaurant as much as anyone, but I love the old favourites - roast beef, toad in the hole, sausage & mash. Top stuff.

As a vegetarian, i can't understand why anyone could not like sausage and mash
it's one meal i will eat that involves pretend meat

Paulus said:
I just love bangers and mash. My local butcher makes his own and they are superb.

I bought sauages from a local butcher for quite a few years but recently I noticed there was more than a hint of bread crumps finding their way in to the mix.

When I complained he said he had trouble making both ends meat !

OK I know what I did and I'm already standing in the corner while I think about it ! OK ?

U

User482

radger said:
As a vegetarian, i can't understand why anyone could not like sausage and mash
it's one meal i will eat that involves pretend meat

I can't stand veggie sausages myself! But each to their own.

wafflycat

Kirstie said:
I like haggis, especially as part of a proper scottish breakfast. Unfortunately, whenever I eat it it gives me terrible wind. Oooh matron...!

So I tend to avoid it :biggrin:

You called for me? Would you like some gripe water? Some wind-eze?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Pile of mash, mashed with a wee bit of milk and some butter (I like pepper on mine too, but family don't). 4 good sausages, poking up (comic style) one from each corner. A well in the middle, into which you put your baked beans. Onion gravy over all of it. Ketchup squirted liberally on top.
Pap, but GOOD pap. :biggrin::tongue:

Top Bottom