Shoe knocking chain stay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Out on my new Virtuoso for the 2nd time and I've noticed that my right foot sometimes knocks the chain stay (I think this is what its called, the frame bit between the peddles and the wheel :biggrin:); only by a tiny bit but still enough to notice it has happened. I'm wearing generic Adidas cross-trainers and using the cup/strap peddles that came on the bike. I've not exactly got big feet (UK size 7 or 8, depending on shoe) so Im sure its not that.

Any ideas?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
feet pointing at 10-2 postion ?

nightoff

I would say it is down to the natural angle of your foot on the pedal.

It might be worth changing your footwear for something with a narrower sole to reduce the chance of it catching. Cycling specific shoes usually have a narrow heel which helps.

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
feet pointing at 10-2 postion ?

That's the thing, I didn't think they were. If anything, I thought I had a tendency to point my toes inwards.

I would say it is down to the natural angle of your foot on the pedal.

It might be worth changing your footwear for something with a narrower sole to reduce the chance of it catching. Cycling specific shoes usually have a narrow heel which helps.

Ive got some skate shoes that have a small footprint and less heel so will give them a shot tonight or tomorrow. Cheers, I was worried it was something more odd like the frame being too small!

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you sit on a table and let your legs dangle, what is their natural posture? This is more or less the position they will take on the pedals and is something you will need to consider when you move on to clip-in shoes and pedals and are setting the cleats up.

As explained above, cycling shoes will have a stiffer, narrower sole. Trainers are not ideal for cycling. Wrap some tape around the frame to protect the paint if it bothers you.

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
If you sit on a table and let your legs dangle, what is their natural posture? This is more or less the position they will take on the pedals and is something you will need to consider when you move on to clip-in shoes and pedals and are setting the cleats up.

As explained above, cycling shoes will have a stiffer, narrower sole. Trainers are not ideal for cycling. Wrap some tape around the frame to protect the paint if it bothers you.

Just tried, toes point in slightly. I'll have a proper look next time I ride out.

Not worried about the paint at all, it's more of an irritation to keep feeling the frame!

tyred

Legendary Member
If you can't find any other fix (and definitely don't try and force your feet into an un-natural position), there are adaptors available to space the pedals out from the cranks. SJC sell them, they are expensive for all you actually get but they made a huge difference to my comfort levels as my left foot sits at a funny angle (toe out) and any effort to ride with foot retention caused me pain.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
If you can't find any other fix (and definitely don't try and force your feet into an un-natural position), there are adaptors available to space the pedals out from the cranks. SJC sell them, they are expensive for all you actually get but they made a huge difference to my comfort levels as my left foot sits at a funny angle (toe out) and any effort to ride with foot retention caused me pain.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/kneesavers-pedal-adaptors-prod14725/

rualexander

Legendary Member

I was hitting the chainstay when using the clip pedals so I slung them and went clipless and no more knocking.
Have you tried removing the clips/straps ? Not sure if the carrera pedals allow this but the cheap ones on my secteur do.

Bicycle

For the modest cost involved, I'd recommend a switch to clipless pedals and cleated shoes.

SPD type or Crank Bros should be goosd and you can still walk like humankind between bike shad and final destination.

Clipless pedals will not only stop the contact, they will help you in a gazillion other ways.

Climbs are easier, keeping your foot in the right position is easier, you can use moreof your leg muscles... you're even more'planted' on the bike in those unfortunate ice/diesel interface moments when you don't want extremities slipping off the bike and making it even harder to keep it the right way up.

Clipless pedals are not a win/win....

They are a Win-Win-Win-Win-Win-Win (etc).

:smile:

Number14

Guru
[sub]Buy a Brompton and then you won't notice your shoe hitting ther chain stay. You'll be in too much pain from constantly hitting the inside of your ankles on the bloody transit wheels.[/sub]

tyred

Legendary Member
For the modest cost involved, I'd recommend a switch to clipless pedals and cleated shoes.

SPD type or Crank Bros should be goosd and you can still walk like humankind between bike shad and final destination.

Clipless pedals will not only stop the contact, they will help you in a gazillion other ways.

Climbs are easier, keeping your foot in the right position is easier, you can use moreof your leg muscles... you're even more'planted' on the bike in those unfortunate ice/diesel interface moments when you don't want extremities slipping off the bike and making it even harder to keep it the right way up.

Clipless pedals are not a win/win....

They are a Win-Win-Win-Win-Win-Win (etc).

:smile:

I would take issue with that to a certain extent. They may keep your feet in correct alignment from a cycling point of view, but if the user has an unusual amount of "toe out" or "toe in" in his stance, there is a danger of forcing the feet into an un-natural position and causing further pain.

oldroadman

Veteran
If your feet supinate (point in) then the only conclusion is that the heels of whatever you are wearing are too bulky for riding. Everything said so far is sensible. Clipless would work well, and don't worry about them "forcing" your feet into an un-natural psition, you need to set them up well and make sure float is adjusted to the max to start with, to allow some rotation. With any luck, that will fix it. Cheap pedals and toeclips simply don't work well with trainers, they are too hefty. Before clipless, everyone used toeclips and screw-on shoeplates, which simply engaged with the pedal backplate. Now those, non-adjustable, you HAD to get right or there was real trouble!

Top Bottom