Skinny tires - Can't go back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tangoup51

Recently i've been doing an experiment in relation to tire size.

I put 25mm tires on my CX bike when I bought it. -Vittoria Rubino Pros. - Hindsight this was a regret. The ride was jarring everywhere I went on the road. Night rides were the worst time for me, despite being my favorite time to ride - And even with an amazing torch I couldn't help but stare down rather than ahead, fear of potholes or even the smallest rut would bother me. - I didn't ride anywhere especially bad.

I would ride in the rural areas, in the suburbs, in the towns and in the county parks. No matter where I went the ride would always keep me alert for what i'm about to smash my pelvis into again.

This nearly lead to me crashing on multiple occasions; constant fear of potholes and looking down -
I started to ride lower pressures, but I ended up hitting a deep pothole and buckling both wheels and popping my rear tire. -despite being in the correct weight range for the PSI I lowered down too.

This left me stranded miles from home. I got there in the end after arranging transport.

But i was angry at the 25mm tires and what they were offering me on the places I ride on. - It was like a spoilt child, the smoothest looking piece of road would be screaming at my tires for no apparent reason .

So, to really get away from the 23-25mm range, I went ahead and got a 32c tire. Vittoria Zaffiro Pros - Giving the finger to the 28mm tire because it "wasn't enough" of a comfort gap.

32c muted and nulled the road more. Muted is the best word I could think of it, as if the imperfections, ruts and potholes were some neighbors arguing and you turned their voices down with a remote. It made everything softer and less violent. Really took the edge off it.

I had assumed that if the gap of comfort between 25-28 is so huge; that by doubling that difference (going to 25-32c) I would get "invincibility!" in terms of comfort

I was wrong. 32c tires suffer the exact problems of a 28c tire. They pick up annoying jars from a glorifed ruts and will not stand a good chance at fighting a even half-decent pothole at speed.

They can definitely mute the road surface; make no mistake - but the size is misleading. It really feels the same as 28c tire in terms of comfort. - It mutes the smaller imperfections but not the bigger ones.

This ruined my idea that my huge wide 32c tires were invincible. I couldn't ride care-free on the roads.

I had to go bigger than 32 now; but I had another issue. - The speed. I had covered that converting from 25-32 had only cost me somewhere around 150 grams per wheel (give/take) using light innertubes on all sizes.

I had a slight speed difference with the 32 over the 25. on the rough roads, 32c helped for comfort but not enough for me to feel like I could plant serious power down. - But i could still go faster than the 25

I didn't want to get a 35-38c tire because I felt like it would feel the same as the 32. - and then ultimately the 28. - (not enough)

At this point I wanted to maintain the speed of the 25mm but I wanted to mute all the harsh imperfections. Not the smaller imperfections that the 32c had muted down.

I spent ages looking for the perfect size. My cyclocross bike can take 50mm tires with room to spare, but too wide would spoil the speed.

Sadly, it's very hard to find tires past a 37mm that are

1) Lightweight
2) not diamond pattern or knobblies

you can find them of course, but they're often way more expensive than I was wanting to pay.

I found some Continental Contact II tires. They fit most of my criteria, they were very light for a 42c tire coming in at 690 Grams which was only 300 grams heavier per wheel than my 32c.

And they had a mostly road-orientated tread design. - Marathons were another tire I would of considered, but they have too much rubber which makes the weight shoot up and more importantly, the tire is more dense and less comfortable.

With these, I've just completed about 50 miles of my conti contacts II.

And They've done everything faster than both my 25-32c tire despite being heavier. I didn't even feel the weight on the hills.

People say that it won't have the agility or nimble behavior of what a road bike should be, but 42 (which actually was 39mm on my calipers) felt just as agile and nimble as a skinny tire - But with the ability to mute all imperfections on the roads.

By all, I mean all imperfections. They truly are an invincible tire size for the most serious of ruts or hits. They mute it all down to a very tolerable level.

My only regret is not going this big sooner. I should point out, that I ride these on the country routes daily. - I have not felt a change in my speed for the negative on the smooth country roads - but considerably faster in the suburbs, towns and county parks.

I had a quest to find at what point does going too big of a tire become inefficient. -

When does the speed loss outweigh the comfort gain?

For rough-road countrys like the UK, we can go bigger without losing benefits in speed. Not to mention the levels of exploration you can unlock too. For smoother road countries perhaps a 32c would be the same as a 42c tire in the UK.

But for what i can tell you, the 42c tire size is the biggest you need to get rid of all problems related to comfort on the road. 45c if you're on the heavier side I'd say. Any bigger than this, and you'd only be adding unnecessary weight.

It's just a shame that not many road bikes will accept anything past a 28mm tire. Which, is one reason I bought a cyclocross bike as a road bike.

*PS i'm very tired and semi-drunk trying to write this, so, if it's off a little I apologize. I hope you get what i'm trying to say in a rough shell. *

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Each to their own.

Ive used 25mm Rubino pros on my cube since day one and its covered all but the muddiest and the graveliest terrain. I also run 25mm conti 4S tyres on my commuter and don't have much of a problem either. Occasionally I do go over a rather big pothole that i didnt see and almost have the wind knocked out of me but for the most part i just carried on. I use between 105-110psi.

Maybe its not the tyres but the seating that's giving you a rough time. Try a new saddle or switch out the seat post for a carbon to take the edge off rough roads

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tangoup51

Each to their own.

Ive used 25mm Rubino pros on my cube since day one and its covered all but the muddiest and the graveliest terrain. I also run 25mm conti 4S tyres on my commuter and don't have much of a problem either. Occasionally I do go over a rather big pothole that i didnt see and almost have the wind knocked out of me but for the most part i just carried on. I use between 105-110psi.

Maybe its not the tyres but the seating that's giving you a rough time. Try a new saddle or switch out the seat post for a carbon to take the edge off rough roads

There was more I didn't cover, i know it sounds hollow but I went through trying many different ways to get comfortable other than tires, believe me. But for me, as I say, this was my solution to a long-lasting problem.

I've found ( through a lot of trial and error ) that 25s pumped to about 90 psi, gives the 'sweet spot' on the road bikes, and 37s pumped to about 55 psi gives the 'sweet spot' on my Hybrids. It's each to their own though.

CUBE CRD

I have 25mm Marathon plus tyres on both my road and cx bikes (both Cube ).I use the CX bike as a wet / night bike.100psi on both bikes.

I'm 6'3 17.5 stone .... but i wouldn't say i experience the discomfort that you do.
I can plod along at 17/18mph without issue.

The only time i hit a pot hole was in a group cycle because the tool in front of me gave no warning.......

My old road bike had 100 psi on 23mm. My new, admittedly much more expensive domane slr 6, has 80psi on 32. New bike is massively quicker and far more comfortable meaning I can also hold the speed for longer.

D

Deleted member 1258

Most tyres feel the same to me, 23, 25 or 28 they all feel the same. The only ones that I noticed harshness with were on an old bike I was given and they were 20's

Last edited by a moderator:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
The OP is fair comment but doesn't account for riding style and fitness level. I started out on 700x35 tyres which I stuck with for commuting, on the weekend bike I started at 700x32 and went down to 700x23. When fit and riding hard the 23s were ok but I put a lot of that down to being 'lighter' on the bike due to strenuous pedalling. Ease off and try to cruise, or get tired, and the 23s started to punish. I went back up to 28s but wasn't impressed so back again to 32s which I found no real speed difference re the 23s but a lot comfier especially when tired or pootling. These were Marathon Supremes at 700x32, not as durable as the Marathons or Pluses but comfier size for size, IMO.

Being back to fat and unfit I actually do my limited riding now on a roadified rigid 29er with 700x60 Schwalbe Super Motos...now that's comfort. They don't do them anymore but mine are the Evo folding version and come in at 680g per tyre. This bike might conceivably run anything down to 700x32 but I reckon 700x40 Supremes would be the smallest I'd go on it now.

Top Bottom