Squatting seems to work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
:thumbsup: Just watch your form and knees! Could add some weights in too :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
I do 40 squats every day and when I go up a hill on the bike, I seem to reap the benefits of it as I can keep a cadence going all the way up and my thighs don't burn when I stand on the pedals.
I might increase it to 50 to make it even easier.

I do squats a few times a week.

Started at 25 now do 200 reps on sets of 50.

It does give extra pep for hills. Also walking upstairs are a breeze.

I've decided to do lower weights and higher reps to near failure

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm sure that squats have lots of benefits, but getting better at cycling up hills only requires regular cycling up hills! :okay:

I don't normally do squats but I thought that I'd try some and my hilly local cycling seems to have made them fairly straightforward***.

*** PS I have since looked at some videos and I wasn't doing the squats properly. I'll do some the right way tomorrow and see what I think.

Drago

Legendary Member
I cycle up hills quite a bit.

But trust me, cycling up a hill after a few weeks of riding up hills is one thing.

Cycling up hills after regularly squatting 160kg is quite another, at least as far as the legs are concerned.

ColinJ

But trust me, cycling up a hill after a few weeks of riding up hills is one thing.

Cycling up hills after regularly squatting 160kg is quite another, at least as far as the legs are concerned.
That's a confusing message! I could just as easily say (more applicable to me 15 years ago than now! :laugh:)...

But trust me, cycling up a hill after a few weeks of doing squats is one thing.

Cycling up hills after regularly doing 200+ km rides with 2,500+ m of ascent, including some at 20+% gradient is quite another, at least as far as the legs are concerned.

Doing a lot of squats would help. Doing a lot of hilly rides would help.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've recently been doing a job that involves standing all day long, that has massively increased my ability to ride out of the saddle, surprisingly.

welcome to my world :blush:

ColinJ

I just remembered this post from a few years back...

But it isn't 'strength' that lets them do that, it is 'power'.

Olympic weightlifters are incredibly strong but they are unlikely to be fast on a bike!

I once took a younger bodybuilder colleague out for an evening ride over the local hills. He was strong enough to break his chain (mashing a 52/13 gear round on a climb! :eek:), but trying to keep up with me half-killed him. (And I am not fast!)
:okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Doing a lot of squats would help. Doing a lot of hilly rides would help.

The point being as someone who has done a lot of both the squatting makes far and away the biggest difference and the short time frame for the legs, the legs being that which Gavroche is discussing the benefits thereof.

Heart and lungs, ride up a hill every time. But were not discussing speed or endurance, but rather the apparent ease with which Gav's stronger legs are now operating when climbing.

As you have kindly just reminded us, super strong can break chains (never done it myself, but seen it done). When we have a discussion about keeping up with others, going faster or going further then other factors may be relevant. But we are not.

Last edited:

ColinJ

The point being as someone who has done a lot of both the squatting makes far and away the biggest difference and the short time frame for the legs, the legs being that which Gavroche is discussing the benefits thereof.

Heart and lungs, ride up a hill every time. But were not discussing speed or endurance.
Leg strength - instantly avoid the issue - use a lower gear!

Top Bottom