Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sadly we never managed to sweet talk the Ailwee owner to let us explore beyond the ahow cave.

Pollnagollum - poulelva throughtrip was a highlight I recall doing after our morning Guiness had extended into a bit of a session. The entrance 100' abseil was a bit daunting but as soon as I lowered myself over the edge the adrenalin cut in and I instantly sobered up ! Another through trip recall the pre-rigged exit came out in a field of bullocks who were chewing the rope we were hanging on. Each time I shooed them off they returned a bit closer and bolder.

Must go back
Changed hands a few times since
then.

Sign in Killaloe, at the bridge had over three dozen locations. Removed as people found it confusing!

jack9266

when i go out for a ride, i always go down a path called 'But hole" lane

Guess these guys have new townie neighbours?
DSCN0369.JPG

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Belated reply, and I may previously have recounted the tale, but we were based in Ballyvaughan on a caving holiday in the '80s and one of the group had cycled there across Ireland on somethig like a ahopping bike. To to set the scene, she was a formidable German lass, blond, pigtails, and a horned helmet and spear wouldn't have seemed out of place. She arrived a few days after the rest of us after this long cycle ride on a crap bike and walked into the bar and her sheer presence caused all heads to turn whereopon she announced ti the whole bar "christ my fanny is f@£&@n sore!"

The pause in conversation was quite long to say the least

Ah the difference between American English and the English meaning over here.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Belated reply, and I may previously have recounted the tale, but we were based in Ballyvaughan on a caving holiday in the '80s and one of the group had cycled there across Ireland on somethig like a ahopping bike. To to set the scene, she was a formidable German lass, blond, pigtails, and a horned helmet and spear wouldn't have seemed out of place. She arrived a few days after the rest of us after this long cycle ride on a crap bike and walked into the bar and her sheer presence caused all heads to turn whereopon she announced ti the whole bar "christ my fanny is f@£&@n sore!"
My first ever cycling tour was a caving trip to Doolin, back around 1980, from Sheffield via the Liverpool - Dublin ferry.
The others took my caving gear, and most of my other stuff, so I only had to carry day ride stuff and my sleeping gear (hollowfill bag, CCF mat, and an orange plastic survival bag). 5-speed 46 x 14-28, 5mm steel rod rack. The trip out was OK, apart from Winnats being a bit of a struggle, but the return trip was a bit grim - grinding away in bottom gear going down off the Curragh, sliding about across the ferry deck in my survival bag (inside was intolerably full of vomit), and then finding that the normal transpennine rail route was closed due to the weather when I abandoned to Liverpool station (trains still running, but taking the long way round).
Memories are of a round of drinks being 17 pints of Guinness and a pint of Smithwicks, the barman buying us a free round at the end of the week (O'Connor's), and of a solo Fisherstreet to St Catherines through trip.

Happy days :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you sure it didn't say "20 zone" on the back? IIRC there's a difference in law between the two. A 20mph limit needs lots of signs, but a 20mph zone only needs signs at the entry and exit.
Quite sure. I suspect it's a boundary between two 20mph zones, introduced at different times. I'll update this post if I find the legal orders but I doubt I will.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
B634573D-54F3-4D47-A3AF-3A4DC4834554.jpeg
Not my best as this is a copy of an old photo probably at least 50 years old. Somewhere near Glasgow I think but I cannot remember exactly. Anybody as old as me in Glasgow area may recognise it.

Top Bottom